Barnes & Nobel shrinking

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by CaptainDonovin, Jan 28, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

A lot of the sites, including Amazon and B&N's websites have similar books, and people who bought this also bought areas on the pages for individual books. That's how I've found several different books series that I'm reading.

As for B&N closing down stores, I really hope they don't close down the one near me. There are a couple others in town, but they're nowhere near as close as this one.
    I actually buy pretty either as an e-book or at the Wal-Mart where I work. I own a Nook though, so I do go to the B&N store to get help whenever I have problems with it. I just hope the whole company doesn't go under, because I get pretty all of my e-books off their site.

2. comsol

comsol That Guy Premium Member

You could also go to your local library and find new titles there, and then if you like them you can then but copies at B&N or online - or try to find an independent bookstore to buy from. Now that can be a bit tricky depending on where you live considering the complexity of the various library systems in St. Louis, but it is a possibility.

3. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

Upon further review, I'm thinking that by the end of the decade (assuming they mean 10 years and not just until 2020), that many more than one-third of their stores will be closed. I was thinking how things have changed in the book publishing/selling business in the last 10 years, and how technology speeds up development in a given area as time goes on and I have to wonder - will there be any book stores out there in ten years - will there be any printed books out there in ten years? I suppose it'll take longer than that, but that's certainly the direction we're headed. I'm one of those that are very reluctant to change, but I suppose when it comes right down to it, the most important thing is that we have books to read, whether it's in the form we've known all our lives, or if they are all, and only, electronic.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I think that the phrase "by the end of the decade" does generally mean "by the next year ending in 0." Consider it by analogy with "by the end of the century" -- which most everyone would interpret as meaning 2100 rather than exactly 100 years from now.

5. CaptPapa

Granted, but I didn't recall how the article was worded; whether it was by the end of the decade, or by the end of a decade. I opted to get the thought out of my brain and on paper, rather than stopping to check the source. Sometimes that leads to stepping in it, but I gotta balance that with the chance of losing the entire thought if I divert what little brain power is left away from what ever is the main focus of the moment.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Okay. The actual wording was "over the next decade," which would mean between now and 2023 after all.

7. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amazon has a browse feature. And I've found new books through other readers' listmania lists. I think that's how I found Prime Directive, which I just finished tonight. I wanted to start my foray into TOS lit with one thought of as the best.

8. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

I've been doing this too over the last few years. Sure beats paying retail, or even amazon prices.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

My nearest mall had a Waldenbooks and B. Dalton when I moved here 20 years ago. They were the only thing I went to the mall for. I bought most of my film/tv books and assorted magazines there. Then Walden closed, then B. Dalton, then one of the anchor stores left. Then Wal-Mart built a superstore there, but of course they don't sell the kinds of books I want. Then the rest of the anchors and most of the boutique chains disappeared. A CostCo also went in there, but I can't afford to step foot in the place since I don't have the money to blow on a membership.

There are some B&N (the initials remind me of railroads) stores here, but the closest one means at least a two hour excursion using public transportation and walking to the store roundtrip with a mobility handicap. I'd rather examine a book in person than just a few pages (if that) through the internet, so most of my book buying days are over.

There's no local bookstore in my neighborhood except Goodwill.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  10. CaptPapa

Do you have a library nearby? If so, they probably have a used book store there, and may have annual (or more frequent) book sales - for instance, mine has quarterly buck-a-bag sales, which I never miss. I find some incredible treasures there from time to time and for practically nothing.
    Otherwise, you could always checkout books and sample them that way for possible future purchase. Our local branch is small, but hooked together with our county system and that of our neighboring county's, so I can reserve and have anything that the entire system has to offer sent to my local branch for pickup.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

12. plynch

I am on a library board, and we are trying to "vision" what the library should look like (metaphorically) 10 years from now. Few have gone bookless, but not necessarily successfully. I think it was futurism guru Ray Kurzweill who wrote how the resolution and usabiliy of the paper book are darned good technology. And many of us have been conditioned to like that method of info/story transmission. Even young people want to retain paper books. Amazon, iirc, sells more e- than paper, however.

13. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sure you do. I get all of my books on kindle now (have most of the 2013 Trek offerings pre-ordered) but still stop in if say my wife wants to look for clothes or shoes, then I'll hang out in B&N.

The other reason to bemoan another book store closing (still miss Borders & Waldenbooks :weep: ) is the someone who may not have the ability to use Amazon or will just lose out on the joy of finding a gem they didn't expect to find. I found a great Atlas of the Universe at Borders before they announced it was over.

14. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Brick-and-mortar bookstores offer a spontaneity of browsing and purchasing that online just can't match. Browsing online is possible - I do it all the time, and have quite a wishlist on Amazon for the books I want "later" - but it's just different. Links at Amazon will tend to keep you in the same genre, so you have to make an effort to jump to another category. Strolling moving through a bookstore, though, will let you wander effortlessly through categories.

We don't have a Barnes and Noble in my city - the only one in the state is on the other side of it from me - but I'm aware of six bookstores in town, three of which are exclusively used books. I love used bookstores, and try to buy at least one item every time I visit. I don't want them to go away, so I try to support them. My support has left me with an estimated three-year backlog of unread books.

I have a Nook, too, with a lot of public domain novels on it, but I don't use it as much as I thought I would. I also have an iPad, with e-reader apps, but I don't use that for book reading much, either. Rather, I use it mostly for web browsing.

15. plynch

I've never really been a new book buyer. Went to U-M so I used to hang out at Borders' Mothership store. But usually, I buy used books or get books from the library. Hardcovers - never: rip-off, imho. In Michigan we can interloan from any other lib in MI, including some universities, so really anything's available for the price of your library card, i.e. free. All hail collectivism! (until it's completely dismantled)

And the above post-er was right, in-person browsing beats online. The best place in the library is the new book wall, where all fiction genres and nonfiction categories are within the same glance. I've gotten things there I NEVER would've consciously browsed toward, including a book on business that changed my life. (Prompted me to write the book linked-to in my sig.)

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. Therin of Andor

Anyone who buys "every" new Star Trek novel should just special order with their most dependable local bookshop. A "standing order" gives the shop a sense of continuity - and, as a happy byproduct, also reminds them to order additional copies for their regular shelves.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Kind of like a pull list at a comic book store. Which are also quickly going the way of your favorite extinct animal, sadly. :(

19. Therin of Andor

Exactly. Galaxy Bookshop have "pulled" Star Trek books for me for decades now, especially after the Diamond Orderpak stopped stocking Simon & Schuster stuff and my local comic shop could no longer order ST titles even if they wanted to.

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I may just have to special order Startrek books from Barnes &Noble or one of the bookstores sounds like a good idea.It's probably the only way to get any of the new Startrek books coming out this year