stargate sg1 season 6-10 worth watching?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tmosler, Nov 4, 2013.

1. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Season 6 is great once you get used to Jonas and Season 7 is amazing, especially the finale. Season 8 has some really great moments, especially Citizen Joe. Season 9 and 10 feel different, but that is because of RDA leaving the show and Claudia Black becoming a regular. Regardless, they are still good. I think they could have gotten more life out of it if they split off and became the proposed "Stargate Command" show instead of just being two more seasons of SG-1.

2. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoy all of SG1 to one degree or another. The later seasons do have a lower average quality about them, but they are still fun and they still contain some gems. I'd recommend watching it all.

3. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just started watching season 4 of Atlantis and am confused why many people here seem to think season 1 is the only good season of Atlantis and the only one worth watching? I know i am in the minority but seasons 2-4 have been just as good or at least close to as good in fact it does a good job improving upon sg1.

4. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whether you like season six as a whole depends on how much you enjoy Corin Nemec as Michael Shanks' temp.

Seasons seven and eight are SG-1 more or less as it was, except that O'Niell wasn't allowed to do episodes like Learning Curve or A Hundred Days anymore. Personally I don't see how anyone who enjoyed seasons 1-5 wouldn't enjoy this too, nor could I see how they wouldn't want to know how that overall storyline of the go'a'uld and replicators come out.

As said before, seasons nine and ten are really a different show. In one sense, the Ori are the go'a'uld taken more seriously (except that the general goofiness makes it hard to get "serious.") Whether you enjoy it depends very much I think on whether you like Ben Browder and Claudia Black, which I did. Especially Black.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

S6: still great!
    S7: pretty forgettable
    S8: slight return to form and a pretty ending to the series
    S9/10: A.K.A. The Next Generation. it's worth watching but it's definitely not as good as the proper series.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Because seasons 2-5 are garbage, simple as that. The Ancients are no longer cool, they are annoying and lame and stupid for such an advance race. Then Replicators... I don't need to say anymore about that.

FoxConnect.com has all the seasons of SG1 and Atlantis for $6 a piece.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I've never finished Atlantis. I can't get through the first season without getting bored.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

There are about -510 good Atlantis episodes out of 66-70 I have seen.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I thought Atlantis got off to a decent start in Season One but then slowly started going off the rails starting in Season Two. I completely lost interest after Season Three.

As for SG-1, when I was watching through the show for the first time on Netflix a couple of years ago, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Season Six. It seemed to have a bit of a bad reputation just based on what I'd read about it before, but I thought it was pretty much on par with what came before it. Season Seven was still pretty good, too. It was really Season Eight where the show was starting to get pretty long in the tooth.

I loved the shot in the arm that Vala and Mitchell (particularly Vala) gave the show in its final two seasons, but in retrospect I think it would have been better if they'd ended SG-1 with "Moebius" and spun the storyline for the ninth and tenth seasons off into a new show. Which, I think, may have been the original plan...

10. Spocktapus

Spocktapus Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was particularly fond of Atlantis season 1 because of its tone. The expedition was completely cut off from Earth in a galaxy where they didn't really understand the rules yet, facing the nigh unstoppable wraith. The season felt like it had a well-defined arc from arriving in Atlantis and awakening the wraith, leading to the inevitable attack at the end. Taken as a whole, it's probably my favorite single season of the franchise.

For me, the problem with Atlantis post season 1 was that the show never really felt like it knew where it was going to me. The constant cast changes and the introduction of newer antagonists felt like desperation to me. That's not to say that I thought the average quality of the episodes went down over time, but rather that the show felt somewhat less than the sum of its parts. Despite the huge body count racked up by the end, the team felt no closer to achieving their goals than they had at the start of season two. Standalone episodes had a feel to me of "we've already seen this".

11. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yes, but not in a way that is especially satisfying. Sometimes, it seemed like the show in the later seasons was just a series of quests to find the next big Ancient superweapon. First you have the Lost City in Season 7, then the Temple at Dakara in Season 8, then Merlin's weapon in Seasons 9 & 10, then the Ark of Truth in "The Ark of Truth."

Like I said, if you're not already a big fan and not already interested in seeing how the Orii story arc ends, there's not much reason to bother with "The Ark of Truth."

And "Continuum" is mostly just a rip-off of "Mobius."

I wouldn't say Season 2 was bad at all. Season 1 was pretty rocky but ended well with "There but for the Grace of God" & "Within the Serpent's Grasp." And Season 2 has one of my all-time favorite episodes, "1969"!

In some ways, RDA leaving made the show better because then at least the show wasn't constantly straining for ways to keep O'Neill on the show while giving RDA as little screen time as possible.

There's something to that. I'd certainly say that Season 1 was the best season of Stargate Atlantis. In fact, I'd probably agree that it's the best single season in the entire franchise. However, I think there's a lot to like in the later seasons as well. Especially Seasons 4 & 5.