Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

Or has it been leaked to out the floaters?

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it's definitely an attention-grabber, and I like the idea of these two characters finding an object of Luke's which leads them on a big quest. But... why not just make it his lightsaber? It would get the same job done, and be a lot less silly.

And while I'm fine with Han not having seen Luke in quite a while, 30 years does seem highly unlikely.

Ultimately it just sounds way too unusual and weird a beginning for the kind of old-fashioned SW movie I imagine JJ is intending to make.

3. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have a couple of problems with this.

1. Han hasn't seen Luke for 30 years? That's just ridiculous.
    2. Where is Leia? She's not mentioned, which implies she and Han never got together, which would be a very unpopular decision.
    3. If Luke is missing for 30 years, doesn't that mean there are no other Jedi?
    4. How on earth do two random kids find Han Solo and convince him to let them go along on a quest to find Luke?

I really, really hope this isn't the actual plot.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

If this is true, which I highly doubt, the worst thing about this by far is Han and Luke not having seen each other Endor.

The only possible explanation is that Luke is still lusting after his sister and can't stand the thought that Han is schtupping her :lol:

But really, Luke hasn't participated in the Empire fighting and nation building for the past 30 years? No way in hell.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

First official reveal...of the mouse droid! ;)

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWBGrkc360M[/yt]

6. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Interesting look at the X-wing, which confirms it'll have a different type of engine and somewhat more streamlined (but still very 'used' looking and also looks like the Rebel pilot helmet has been redesigned as well.

The blue stripe may be a callback to the X-wings originally being blue, but then ditched for red because it would've messed up the FX.

Also makes me wonder if we'll finally see the B-wings in action at all. They're in a few flybys in ROTJ but dissiapear from the battle altogether because they were too thin to film or something like that.

7. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooo, that X-wing is sexy. The engine configuration looks almost exactly like the McQuarrie concept art.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I like the new X-Wing! Very cool.

As for all the "opening story" rumors, I would not even bother to take any of them seriously until we get to the first preview release. By then more solid info will be available to the "leakers".

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The x-wing looks cool. Not quite as good as the old school design (I think the changed wing section is kind of out of place), but its just nice to see a complete X-Wing again.

The unconfirmed beginning sounds stupid, so I hope that's just a rumor.

30 years without seeing each other? That's just nonsensical.

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I like the sloping rear section, and the whole thing looks a lot more like the Z-95 headhunter, which was always cool looking IMO.

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't like how, instead of a circle type design at the front of each of the four wing segments, we get a big circle on each wing. It does look like the Headhunter, a bit too much for me. It looks more like an intermediate design between the headhunter and x-wing now. It also looks kind of weird in that shot without an astromech droid, but the slot for a droid is probably just empty as opposed to missing. Its not a bad design, I just don't think its really an improvement over the old design.

12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Heh, looks like my quick and dirty 3D model I made a couple months ago wasn't a million miles off the mark....

http://imgur.com/a/fRFjR

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, to all.

14. davejames

I freakin love the new X-Wing. And especially the closeup of the weathered, peeling paint job on it. The blue stripe might take a little getting used to, but I can understand how they would want to differentiate it a little from the original.

I do notice that the wings seem a helluva lot thinner than the originals though.

Either way, I can't wait for the model kit of this. :)

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Are you kidding? I'm sure by now someone has 3d rendered it and printed it on a 3d printer by now. All based on that video.

16. davejames

Oh interesting. From what I've read, the wings apparently open a bit differently this time. Instead of one half being on top of the other, they're side by side now. So one side moves up and the other moves down. Which would explain why the wing appears so thin from the front.

17. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

They're staggered? That would look pretty neat, I think. No matter how you slice it, the design is still straight out of the classsic McQuarrie school, which is fine by me, and an improvement over the shiny deco prequel stuff like the Naboo fighter.

18. davejames

Actually the Naboo fighter is the one prequel-era ship design I actually really liked. It had a really cool, sleek design, so I was bummed it wasn't used as the main fighter ship throughout the movies like the X-Wing of the OT.

They were certainly cooler than those awful Jedi Starfighters or that weird three-winged fighter, at least.

19. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I really liked the Naboo fighter-- it looks like a ship "from a more civilized age," one not really intended to see combat. And the Delta-7 is all right. It's the Eta-2 I hate. How on Earth did someone decide that 1) the Delta-7 was the ancestor of the TIE fighter and 2) there was an intermediate stage between the two? The Eta-2 doesn't look like a ship anyone would ever design except if they knew the TIE was in the future.

20. davejames

Well I never liked the idea period of seeing so much of the Empire's designs originate on the side of the good guys (whether it was TIE Fighters, Stormtroopers, or Star Destroyers). Lucas might have come up with a decent explanation for it, but it still always looked really strange and bizarre to me. Not to mention overly-obvious.