(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Used a free Sky Bet yesterday and Swansea have just given me £33 back ;) Love it + Wigan on the verge of going down saves me from losing a bet with my brother.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Alex Ferguson on the verge of retirement?

This seems to have come completely out of the blue. Over the weekend there were stories that Moyes was being lined up as his new number 2 with the obvious intention of succeeding him (in fact I think the bookies have stopped taking bets now) but now it's being claimed it might be a straight swap, with Ferguson annoucing his retirement at the last game of the season?

Can't say I've ever really liked the man, but you cannot argue with his record. Greatest club manager ever, and probably will remain so.

Can Manchester carry on without him (always assuming this is true) or will they go the way of Liverpool?

Have to say it's a brave move to hire Moyes, but would at least make a change from the 'usual suspects'.

Edit to add: His retirement is now confirmed

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Combination of factors at work here I think;

- David Gill going
    - Premiership crown taken back from City so going out as a winner
    - Moyes' contract being up at Everton
    - Fergie's upcoming hip replacement

A shame. Even as a non-United fan, Ferguson's achievements there, and at Aberdeen beforehand, are nothing short of astonishing.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Best manager in the history of football...

Simple as.

5. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Astonishing however you slice it.

He's been Man Utd manager for as long as I've been alive. Absolutely phenomenal.

Looks likes Moyes is the man - so who's going to Everton? Martinez?

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hmm, could be, though do Everton want to escape relegation by the skin of their teeth every year from now on? ;)

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Saw this topic in the paper's, greatest Sir Alex Utd XI, a tough one indeed...

Schmeichel

G.Neville
    Ferdinand
    Stam
    Irwin

Beckham
    Keane
    Scholes
    Giggs

Ronaldo
    Van Nistelrooy

8. Angel4576

^^ Yeah, not far off with that I think.

I'd probably swap out Stam for Pallister, and maybe Van Nistelrooy for Andy Cole, but not sure on the latter.

United really have been spoilt for riches down the years when you think that even the likes of Bruce and Sheringham can't get anywhere near that XI.

9. HappyDayRiot

I think there's a not inconsiderable case for van der Sar actually. I say this as someone who only started watching the game with real interest in the early 2000s though, so I missed out on seeing Schmeichel properly except for the CL final.

A lot of people seem to be suggesting Everton are keen on Malky Mackay. They can sod off of course. I can't see why Laudrup would leave his Europa League team for them after just one season either.

Everton are destined to be managed by Mark Hughes I fear. Although at least if he goes there he can't be the first name on the shortlist when Malky gets sacked in November ;)

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  10. HappyDayRiot

Well done Wigan!

They've also put Mancini out of a job - so who's off to City? The fans don't seem too interested in Pellegrini....

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Wigan cost me money :scream:

But it was a good final and they deserved the win.

12. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

The Champions League final is turning out to be a pretty fun game.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

It was a good final and made even better with a drinking game ;)

14. Angel4576

Cracking final, enjoyed it.

Wanted Dortmund to win in the end, grew tired of Ribery's constant falling over and moaning routine.

Still, a fantastic advert for German football, and just reward for all the work that's gone into the game over there since the dark days of Euro 2000. Exactly the kind of work that the FA should be spearheading here but never will.

15. Steve67

Steve67 Commander Red Shirt

Not sure how dark those days were as Germany appeared in the 2002 World Cup final which to me sounds like a quick recovery. :)

I'm re-watching the final now and it's hilarious how Dante is shaking his head after giving away the penalty after having kicked Reus in the stomach. If that wasn't a penalty, then nothing is.

Overall, an excellent final. Clearly the two best teams were there.

Oh, and I will cherish Bayern's two demolitions of Barcelona for years to come. :D

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

As I recall Germany were v lucky to get to the final in 2002, they had a very easy run to the final where Brazil trounced them.

17. Angel4576

Well it's a fair point that Germany reached the final in 2002, but that run was subject to a fair amount of good fortune with the draw (Paraguay, United States, South Korea).

It's all relative though. This was a Germany that had won both the World Cup and the European Championships in the 90s, a couple of Champions League titles, a Cup Winners Cup title and a couple of Uefa Cups.

Germany went from that to winning nothing, at international, or continental level, until last Saturday.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

England go from a horrible abject 1st half performance to a more solid counter attacking 2nd half one, if only we could play for 90 minutes...we'd be bloody dangerous :lol:

On a side note, worst Brazil side I've ever seen.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was hoping England would get pasted tonight. There was a bit of negative media movement against Hodgson which will now be halted, albeit after a draw.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Chamberlain little stint in the middle is encouraging as we need to replace Gerrard & Lampard after the World Cup in 2014 or Q/F in 2013 should we not make it. Chamberlain/Wilshere + 1 holding player sounds like a tempting future midfield better than Cleverley in the starting 11 :p