Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am really liking Season 2. The episodes look great. The extended version of Measure was pretty cool. I don't think all the bitching pre-release was necessary

-Chris

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pretty cool or not, CBS was not satisfied, and HTV was effectively fired from subsequent work.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's necessary there are plenty of flaws and areas of shoddy work compared to the S1 set.

4. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

There is nothing wrong with voicing displeasure in a product. You're satisfied with it, and that's great, but to those of us who care about the drop in quality it's important to ensure something is done to prevent that drop from happening again.

In my opinion, S2 is pretty rough looking considering it was worked on by members of the original TNG crew. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes can be a good thing, as the S3 trailer clearly demonstrates.

5. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When not watching in full screen mode, you might miss something on the top or the bottom, but not on the sides, since the image is pillarboxed. So those kind of things will always be visible, even with overscan.

6. MrLethalWeapon

MrLethalWeapon Ensign Newbie

I'm noticing more details too.

I'm not sure if this is new or something that's always been there, but watch the transporter effect when the away team is dematerializing off the transporter pad. As the actor disappears, you can notice a slight ripple effect similar to a ship cloaking.

7. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Watched episode 3 last night and I thought that one at least looked really good. Of the 3 episodes I've watched to this point, I was only really distracted by inconsistent grain in The Child.

"Elementary, Dear Data" has held up as a pretty good episode, mostly due to the enjoyable performances and strong dialogue. The period costumes are a lot of fun as well.

This episode is known for having a few flubs and I noticed a couple of more on this watch: in the first holodeck scene, Geordi professes his unfamiliarity with the material, but then a beat later he's writing in his journal in the Watsonian style. Also, when he's writing, if you look at his hand movements it's clear that he's not actually writing and is just scribbling in the journal. :lol: I'm not sure if blu-ray was necessary to catch that one but I thought it was kind of funny.

Then there's the scene where Geordi is holding the drawing of the Enterprise, upside-down, before he flips it, right side up, to the camera. This is widely known, but on the blu-ray you can actually see the upside-down enterprise through the partially transparent paper before he flips it to the camera.

I'm nitpicking the episode but I do like it, it's my favorite of the first 3 episodes for sure.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  8. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

The game is a Foot!

9. jimbotron

And if you look closely when Moriarty hands it to Data, and Data looks at it and reacts, it is upside-down as well.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I've only watched the first four episodes so far, and the first three I thought looked perfectly fine. The ship may look a bit more solidly gray than before, but it's still blended well with the environment and looks pretty damn cool.

But I just watched Outrageous Okona, and yikes. The ships looked like flat cutouts against the screen, and weren't blended well at ALL.

Hopefully that's more the exception than the norm on this set though...

11. jimbotron

So far, the model shots are tolerable, simply because the shots are so quick.

What DOES suck is the DNR used in live action scenes with bluescreen elements, and the bluescreen leak on actors' clothing and skin. Heck, even the Enterprise has bluescreen leak. Very lazy.

12. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I agree, the DNR in some of the live action is ridiculous, i will have to find the particular scene I'm talking about, I would swear it is uprezed and not true HD.

13. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

There's no real need to fix that; the lighting fades from certain angles because of the copper-coloured grill around the transparent bits and the recessed lighting inside the nacelles.

14. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They really had some problems aligning the layers in post. Not only the light passes sometimes are not properly aligned - even simple scenes can have some mistakes:

From "The Child":
    [​IMG]

I know this sounds like nitpicking, but I really dont understand, how someone working closely on such a scene, for an hour or so, hasnt recognized this!!??

15. jimbotron

I noticed that too but I didn't want to bring it up. I'm trying to tone down the nitpicking. :lol:

Initially, I thought the font looked wrong, but I compared it to the original, and it was authentic. I then noticed the effect went beyond the border, whoops. The SD version did not do that.

16. Trekker4747

You know if we're going to go through this frame-by-frame to pick out the most minor and smallest of errors....

17. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Read my mind!

18. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Again: How can someone work on a special effects scene like this, sitting at his desk and looking at it on his monitor for at least an hour - probably much more - and NOT see this?

How?

19. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

And Dan Curry said in that interview of a vfx artist: "If I have to stay late to make sure the shot looks good, I stay late...."

uh huh.

20. Trekker4747

Shit happens. :shrug: Want to complain about the poor lighting on the ships, not fixing some of the wash from the blue-screens onto the stage, or even the errors of the scenery extending beyond the clipped ship? Fine, even though some of those are pretty quick errors you have to look for to notice. But to examine and zoom in on some overlay on a few frames of the view screen? That's getting damn petty and just needlessly picky.

I admit there's a lot of problems with the way the effects were done in this season (and CBS/Paramount obviously agreed so they switched back to their home house to do the other seasons), the colors in the opening of "The Child" look bad, I'll grant that, that's a major, big, shot too. It's obvious and hard to ignore. I think I can overlook this very, very minor issue with a sliver of the monitor intruding on the wall.