The least disliked episode of TNG - Season Five

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by BlueStuff, Jul 26, 2013.

1. datagal

datagal Admiral Admiral

Unification (I). One name: Stephen Root. He starred in shows like NewsRadio and in movies like Office Space and Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story. I didn't know that he played the Klingon commander until I saw the credit and pay really close attention and realized that was him. :eek:

So every time I watched it, I see either Milton (Office Space), Jimmie James (NewsRadio) or Gordon (Dodgeball). I can't take episode too seriously without thinking about mumbling Milton. :lol:

Redemption (II)
    Disaster
    Unification (II)
    Conundrum
    Power Play
    The First Duty
    The Next Phase

2. CmndrSela318

CmndrSela318 Trek BBS Commander Number 318. Red Shirt

I shall now remove The First Duty. Normally I like Wesley-centric episodes but not this one.

Redemption (II)
    Disaster
    Unification (II)
    Conundrum
    Power Play
    The Next Phase

3. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hereby remove "Power Play." I'm surprised it made it this far. It's a cheesy slapped together story that feels like B movie Sci-Fi.

Redemption (II)
    Disaster
    Unification (II)
    Conundrum
    The Next Phase

4. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

The Next Phase is gone. It's mildly entertaining, but the concept behind the science just wasn't thought out well at all. How are they breathing the air and interacting with the gravity plating? Hurts my brain.

Redemption (II)
    Disaster
    Unification (II)
    Conundrum

5. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My first visit to this thread and it's already down to the last 4. I cannot abide The Inner Light and Darmok biting the dust before Silicon Avatar. Come on, people! :lol:

Well, of the four, I choose Conundrum. It's a strong episode, despite the fact that it exposes a vulnerability so absurd that it seems impossible for this not to happen over and over again. Some random alien from a podunk technologically inferior species can approach the flagship of the Federation and instantly wipe out everyone's memories (including Data!) and manipulate the computer to fight his war for him? Oooooooooookaaaaaay. Getting beaten up by obsolete Birds of Prey in Rascals and Generations is bad enough, but this is embarrassing.

Redemption (II)
    Disaster
    Unification (II)

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heck of a top 3 list... but I remove Unification II. Part 1 had an awesome set up only to have mystery plot and invasion plot that really make no sense when you think about it. Big let down, even with Spock there.

Redemption (II)
    Disaster

7. Third Nacelle

I'm gonna remove Redemption II (no major complaints about it), and declare Disaster to be the best of what's left. I thought all the various character stories around the ship were wonderful. "That delivery was very orderly!"

Still shocked The Inner Light isn't down here.

8. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Disaster .... I did not see that coming. :lol:

9. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People are surprised The Drumhead won S4? It's an outstanding episode. God knows it's better than Disaster.

10. Third Nacelle

Well the point of the game isn't to find the best, it's to find the least disliked. Any episode that someone really loves, someone else is going to hate (with a few notable exceptions). So you end up narrowing it down to whatever shakes the boat the least.

It's groupthink at its best.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I would like to put in a request that you stop running these during the work day. :)

Disaster is easily on my shortlist of favorite season 5 episodes. One of the best bottle episodes ever made.

The Drumhead's a good ep but I'm surprised to hear it called 'least disliked'. I thought it was one of those divisive episodes that people found preachy.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The only problem with that is it's always a work day somewhere in the world.

13. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always tried to vary the times at which I start the games, to allow people who may not have had the chance to participate in the previous game a better chance at playing the next time, and so on. :bolian: