How is Janeway sexy? (Part II)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Adm_Hawthorne, Oct 24, 2011.

1. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I ran across a time warp one where Janeway teamed with Gabrielle and Seven with Xena (or vice a versa). The gist was Seven and Janeway caught a clue about their relationship from the way Xena & Gabrielle interacted.

After watching 6 seasons of Xena, I still say X/G is the real thing, and J/7 is maternal through and through.

I did HOWL when Mulgrew complained "See! It's sex, sex, sex, sex... you'll take it anyway you can get it!"

At least Mulgrew is being consistent. Just like Janeway has no time for a "personal" relationship with Chakotay, she doesn't have time for such a relationship with Seven.

I like this part later in the same segment, showing the lonilness of command and how the legacy of Janeway was deep humanity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoEwQIzS4LA&feature=player_detailpage#t=237s

In the next segment, they ask her about doing Flementh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CXzFYQZB17c#t=362s

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXzFYQZB17c[/yt]

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    At this point I can imagine Kate would be happy to just walk away from the mike and go to the bar for a gin ricky than ever answer another 'first time question on Janeway's position on sex' and J7 shipper that I am, it has never seemed an idea that she ever cottoned to. I think she never saw the relationship as anything other than maternal or big sisterly toward Seven. I do think the chemistry toward Ryan in their acting (whether solely from their skills or contributed to from real life feelings) makes it easy to see more than the scripts themselves make visible. Both actresses played off each other far more powerfully than Lawless and O'Conner did in my estimation, though it would be fair to say that I never warmed to the character of Gabrielle who never rose above annoying girl to me. One of my favorite Xena/Voyager crossovers was Eternal Suffering. It is a wonderful look at X/G and J/C ships. http://members.tripod.com/~Katelin_B/eternal.html

3. JanewayRulz!

:bolian: re: gin rickey :bolian:

:alienblush: re: position :alienblush:

Oh be still my Gabrielle loving heart! :cardie:

She stopped being annoying (to me) half way through season 1, although she had a few set backs (mostly due to Xena lite eps like Married with Fishsticks and The Play's the Thing) :scream:

I really like the maternal relationship between J/7, and I think that was what the writers/actors were going for in the series, unlike what the writers/actors may or may not have been going for in X:WP... depending on the phase of the moon and the side of the bed some one rose from that day. :rolleyes:

As for differences between my two fav shows... I have to admit that X:WP did a better job at allowing the characters to grow over the seasons, and I specifically mean the 2 subordinate characters. The XWP producers have discussed how Xena (read Janeway) was not allowed to change much, but that Gabrielle was more fluid. One can see that from season 1 to 6 in the clothing alone, much less the confidence, ability to protect herself/fight and even the carriage the actor showed. Our poor Seven was still strapped literally and figuratively into that corset in more ways than one. So much so that many of us could not accept the suddenly appearance of Chakotay into her romantic life.

One of the reasons I liked Janeway over Picard is that there seemed to be a real change (in Janeway) over the years, although this change was not as great as seen in the Gabrielle character... one would not necessarily expect one.

Gabrielle, like Seven, was a blank slate for the other main character to play off, to mold, to develop. Xena at 27, after 10 years a warlord, and Janeway at 39, after 20 years a star fleet officer, were much more mature, more stable.

Still both women changed because of their subordinates...

SEVEN: Captain.
    JANEWAY: I'm having trouble with the nature of individuality.
    SEVEN: You require a philosophical discussion.
    JANEWAY: There's a time and a place for it. This is one of them. After I freed you from the Collective, you were transformed. It's been a difficult process. Was it worth it?
    SEVEN: I had no choice.
    JANEWAY: That's not what I asked you.
    SEVEN: If I could change what happened, erase what you did to me, would I? No.

[​IMG]

4. Gov Kodos

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

KM has always seemed one thousand percent heterosexual to me and I really doubt the idea ever crossed her mind (until the fans put it there, LOL).
    Well as we've said KM played Mulgrew as seducing everybody, she wooed her crew. And some of the actor's responses make it easy to read more than just a relational style into it. Ryan and Mulgrew had great chemistry.

6. JanewayRulz!

:rommie:

Oh Gov Kodos... you KNOW that Joxer was only a "placeholder" for Xena. As soon as Gabrielle came around, he was "outta there!"

:rofl:

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Huh.

I'm not surprised a lot of Trek fans have fantasized the Janeway/Seven relationship. But I can't believe people have actually had serious conversations about the topic.

Anyway, regarding the original topic. Any guy who hates powerful women is an insecure douche who's probably emotionally at the whim and mercy of every female in his life.

8. Gov Kodos

Gabrielle is a placeholder for the Widow Twankey, everyone wants the Widow Twankey. [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuB8gebM0p0[/yt]

9. JanewayRulz!

Oh my god! :wtf:

That is just... just... ONE MORE reason NOT to watch HTLJs!!!! :cardie:

I gotta say, Lucy makes a more convincing man (barely ;) ) in drag than Michael makes as a woman in drag. :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmtdDyW0uGc&feature=player_detailpage#t=488s

I still howl at ^^ Liz Friedman's contention that Lucy is more convincing as a MAN in drag than as a WOMAN! :guffaw:

Now.. to bring this back to Janeway/Kate Mulgrew... Liz is one of the executive producers on the pilot of Kate's new netflix show "Orange is the New Black". :bolian:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/orange-is-the-new-black (Stuff on the TV show)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEm960naQCQ (The author discusses her book and her prison experience.)

10. Gov Kodos

HTLJs can be goofy, and Twankey is there for pure camp . She pops up in another episode or two. Hercules never really delved into as much angst as Xena did, that was something that always gave me a preference for Hercules over Xena along with Gabrielle. I often wished Xena would just dump her, I never warmed to the character in spite of Rene's fine work in the part. Amazon queen, Eli worshiper, soul mate, every addition just seemed more eye rolling. I'd have enjoyed the show more with Joxer as the permanent sidekick.

11. JanewayRulz!

12. teacake

How.. is Janeway Sexy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:adore:

13. JanewayRulz!

14. teacake

That is wonderful.

WONDERFUL.

And no, the only time I watch interviews is when people post them in this thread so I hadn't seen it.. I rely on YOU Janewayrulez :D

15. Gov Kodos

That was an exaggeration to some extent, Joxer would have had to be toned down considerably to be around more than he was. He was played for the fool too much until the post crucifixion period. If they'd let him grow up from the fool he could have been a more dramatically entertaining semi-regular character. He always struck me as a surrogate little brother for Xena which never seemed to be something Gabrielle ever caught on to- Xena's patience for the guy. Neelix gets a lot of flack, unfairly I think. Unfortunately, the writers had him too often being jolly coffee boy after Voyager left familiar space for him. But in episode 'Night' he had better ideas of how to keep the crew from going nutty than Chakotay was bringing up. Letting the crew wallow in the holodeck was a recipe for disaster as they'd socially be drifting apart as a crew. It's a shame the show didn't give him a little more meat to his scenes to show his development into the more responsible and capable character he was when he left the ship.

16. delenn13

delenn13 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Another one just sent to my email... :)

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgzxyTHIbLY&feature=em-subs_digest[/yt]
    Love the Alternate Title...

100 Uses For Pattern Enhancers in the Home or Office

17. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

She needs to beat that thing on her head to death.

18. Gov Kodos

It reminds me of Ziggy Stardust.

19. JanewayRulz!

20. JanewayRulz!