Stuck at Start of Zelda Twilight Princess

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mr Light, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

OK I'm sure this is going to be something really stupid I'm missing. I'm at the very very beginning of Zelda Twilight Princess (Gamecube, if that matters). I'm at the part where I'm trying to get the stupid cat to go back to the shop lady so she'll sell me the slingshot. The walkthrough says stand next to the cat and fish, after you catch two fish it'll go back to its master.

I've caught about 20 goddamn fish and the cat never does anything! When I try walking up to it, it just runs away in a random direction and I can't corral it towards the shop it just eventually goes back to the original spot.

I tried fishing from the little pier next to it... aiming the bait in front of its face, standing as close to it as possible... what am I doing wrong?

2. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a hard time with this mission too. It's been a while since I played it, but it seemed like I was fishing at an area across the bridge next to a house by the river with a picnic table and pumpkin patch beside it. Have you tried fishing there?

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Aaaah, that would be the bank opposite from where the cat is. I bet that's it. Thanks!

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Sigh. This is my only full day off to play this game and I can't advance past this asinine thing! You can't reach the fish from the pier on the opposite bank. You can't reach the water from the pillars in the river above it. WTF.

This is what my walkthrough says: "Go back to where the cat was (on the other side of the children's house) and cast in the water. To fish, wait until the bobber is set in the water. If it bobs up and down, hold back on the C-Stick to reel the fish in. once you have caught two fish, the cat takes one and goes back to Serra's store. "

EDIT: The area you're describing is where the cat is. It goes house - cat - pier - wall.

5. IJD GAF

IJD GAF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Are you sure you're actually catching the fish, not simply getting a nibble and then losing it?

7. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You've got to yank the fish out of the water onto the ground near the cat, as I recall. I know you have to catch two fish to satisfy the cat.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

OK I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I was pulling back once then releasing when it said FISH ON! I didn't realize I had to hold back on the stick. It's confusing because it LOOKED like the fish was coming out of the water but I wasn't getting the cut scene I got when I finally did it right. Silly me.

I got up to the entrance of the Forest Temple now. For a Gamecube game, this has some really great graphics. And I like Midna. And it's fun to be the wolf. Good game.

9. Turd Ferguson

I agree, this is probably the best GameCube game I ever played. The graphics look amazing and the Hyrule Field music is awesome. I love how haunting the nighttime music sounds. I may get this game if I can find it at a somewhat reasonable price somewhere :vulcan:

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I really liked Windwaker, I thought the cel-shaded graphics were amazing, like an interaction live action cartoon. It was also the first 3D Zelda game I ever played so the controls were amazing (I played Ocarina a year or two later). The sailing got a little tedious of course, but I loved how it was an ocean with small islands... I found this much more exciting than one vast overworld you ride/walk over.

11. Turd Ferguson

Windwaker was cool... I recently replayed it and it was just as fun as before if not moreso. I definitely like Twilight Princess better, though, since it's more mature, in story, gameplay and graphics.

I did also try Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and I don't want to sound shallow, but I couldn't get over how shitty the graphics were, and I hated that I couldn't use the C-stick (I own the Collector's Edition with Zelda, Zelda 2, Ocarina and Majora's Mask for GameCube) to move the camera angle. So, I just gave up :)

12. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, I found Wind Waker to be a bit more mature in terms of storytelling, at least in the way Ganondorf was portrayed. In Twilight Princess he was like "Surprise! I'm the real badguy! And I'm evil for some reason lulz".

In Wind Waker, Ganondorf, despite being tubby, was 10x cooler and deeper.

"The wind... it is blowing"

13. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, Wind Waker had some awesome story telling.

Ocarina of Time is easily my favourite, story-wise, though.

14. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Wind Waker is gorgeous, certainly its stylistic cel-shading holds up far better to the graphical standards of 2008 than Twilight Princess does. Unlike many I never got sick of sailing around either, it's rather relaxing.

15. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Majora's Mask is my favourite Zelda, with Ocarina of Time not far behind it. I am too indifferent to Twilight Princess to rate it as good or bad, but the fact that I gave up after the first dungeon probably isn't good. I found Wind Waker an excrutiating experience and the cel-shading to be soulless by comparison to Jet Set Radio - the pioneer and still the gold standard for the technique.

My problem with Zelda is the same as my problem with all Nintendo IP. That is, each game in the franchise is exactly the same as the one before it, and the one before that, and so on. It figures that Majora's Mask, as the only one to really shake up the formula, is both my favourite and the red-headed stepchild amongst Nintendophiles.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah it's ridiculous how every Zelda is a carbon copy of the one that preceeded it for the most part. I just played Ocarina a few months back and now I'm playing Twi Pri; the Link home village is nearly identical... you start with a Forest Temple... there's a Fire Temple on Death Mountain... Zelda, Ganon, Link... Still, they're fun... and if one only comes out every 5 years I guess the repetition isn't that big a deal :p