F1 2014 Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Lonemagpie, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I was going to wait till after New Year's Day to start this, but since the BBC have announced which races they'll be showing live in the UK, and which not...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25458397

The list of races to be televised live on the BBC in 2014 is as follows:
    30 March: Malaysia
    11 May: Spain
    8 June: Canada
    6 July: Britain
    24 August: Belgium
    7 September: Italy
    5 October: Japan
    12 October: Russia
    23 November: Abu Dhabi

The other 10 will be Sky exclusive in the UK.

2. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

No Singapore :(

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Don't like some of the changes planned for next year

Double points for the last race.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25310466

Sometimes the championship goes to the last race sometimes it doesn't. Perhaps the FIA should suggest to FIFA that the last games of the season in Football get 6 points for a win, 4 for a draw and 2 for a loss.

Not keen on the idea of driver number, or at least how the FIA have outlined it. I might go along the route is that you're number is based on the position you finished in last years championship. According to the BBC site the idea behind allocated numbers is

The idea behind allocating numbers to drivers throughout their careers is to enhance their ability to exploit the commercial potential of merchandise.

Surely a counter-argument would be that with potentially a different number every year, you could sell more things like merchandise.

http://www.fia.com/formula-one-regulation-changes

A new five -second penalty for minor infringements, isn't that what the drive through is for?, if it's more serious than that we already have the ten-second stop-go penalty. As it is stewards whilst better in recent years are still not consistant. Why not have full-time race stewards e mployed by the FIA so we have consistant penalties applied over the season.

4. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Just watching the BBC retrospective on 2013 and my feeling is that Sebastian Vettel has killed F1.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

No more so than Schumacher did.

We tend to be a little more forgiving of someone being dominate when we support them. But if you go back to the early 90's William's were dominat, then McLaren, then Ferrari now Red Bull who knows for the next few seasons Mercedes might be dominate. There is nothing new about a team being dominate in F1.

You could say how you win is as important as you win. Remember Schumacher won the 94 Championship by taking Hill out, did the same in 97 to JV but that time ended up losing all his points. Then at the race his team mate had to let him past so he could win the race despite there being no real championship rival due to the Ferrari's dominace (which ended up brining in the rule about no team orders). Ingonring a black flag at the British GP.

Vettel it seemed towards the end of this season seemed to be working on his PR image, following the Multi-21 incident early in the year.

Hopefully 2014 will be more interesting, with the new engines etc..

6. Deckerd

I don't really support anyone. I enjoy the variety (or used to). IMO anyone who gets to that level of competition deserves to win now and then. I recall when Schumi was dominant and yes it did get a bit tedious.

7. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

This is happening:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25545993

:(

8. Deckerd

Poor Schumi. Reminds me of Natasha Richardson.

9. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doesn't sound good at all :(

10. Lonemagpie

Today's news says he's improving but still not out of danger. And ueah, Natasha Richardson's death is the first thing I thought of.

11. Lonemagpie

Lotus are to miss the first pre-season test session, I see...

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

In any other year, I would say that might not be that bad, but with all the changes this year with the V6 turbos and the new Energy Recovery systems etc.. I would have teams would want to get every single second of track time they can.

13. Lonemagpie

Let's face it, Lotus these days seem to be a bunch of cowboys.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

15. Lonemagpie

So Kamui Kobayashi is back this year, driving for Caterham... Whose owner says he'll quit if they don't improve and score a point at some stage this year.

16. Lonemagpie

17. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

The new Williams has come out. It's giving everyone the finger. :)

18. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I'm reminded of the Aardvark from the Pink Panther cartoons all of a sudden. ;)

19. Lonemagpie

And I see that McLaren have launched their car, and poached Eric Boullier to run the team...

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Are any of us really suprised that Whitmarsh has been replaced? Last season was a disaster by McLaren standards, and the year before that losing Lewis (generally considered to be one of the best drivers on the grid), and the fact that Lewis replaced was let go after a single season won't have helped his cause.

Though I'm somewhat suprised at MW's replacement. But perhaps going outside of the team was the right way to go. New eyes etc..