DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Disillusioned, May 30, 2009.

1. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

Sort of new to these parts, and I have to admit I'm a bit intimidated by the prospect of wading my way into these parts. I have to say that I still think DS9 is the best the franchise had to offer, and it's disappointing that it gets overlooked so much. In my opinion, this series has only gotten better with age, while other shows like TNG have aged very poorly.

Anyway, I didn't see any introduction thread in here, so I hope no one minds that I made my own.

Whizkid and FanST like this.
  2. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Re: Hello fellow Niners

Welcome to the DS9 forum. If deep, and sometimes too deep, discussions on DS9 are what you're looking for then you've found them. I agree with you that DS9 is both overlooked and has aged better than the other Trek series. If anything, when I watch DS9 now, the show seems even more relevant than it was during the original airing.

A shame that there's no thought on taking the show further, but I kind of shudder to think what might happen in the hands of incapable writers anyway.

Clownmeat and Qonundrum like this.
  3. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One thing I think DS9 has in common with TOS more so than the other Trek shows is that both TOS and DS9 were ahead of their time. There are episodes of DS9 that feel almost prophetic: the themes of infiltration, resistance, terrorism, religious fanaticism, the sacrifice of ideals in a time of war... the list goes on.

I am personally content with DS9 being the somewhat neglected gem that it is. There is a line from the LotR that I like a lot and that applies here imo (I am paraphrasing Legolas in the novel): "A great deed was the walking of the Paths of the Dead, and great it shall remain, though there be no one left to sing of it."

Sometimes things that are great are just great all by themselves, whatever recognition or lack thereof they may have at a given moment. Naturally there are of course lots of people who recognize that DS9 was great, but on some level it doesn't really matter how many. It was what it was, and I'm personally glad I'm among those that appreciate how great this show was at its best.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  4. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

1000 Welcomes. Bookmark this page and come back often. These guys are pretty cool here

5. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Welcome to the board, and welcome in particular to this forum. :)

But if you are concerned about DS9 being under-appreciated, then this board might be just what you are looking for - there are alot of DS9 fans here.

Hope you keep coming back and get posting. We look forward to getting to know you!

6. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Always good to have more Niners about. Don't worry about DS9 being overlooked at TrekBBS. In this not-so-little corner of Trek fandom, DS9 is very popular.

7. Possum

Possum Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd also like the opportunity to say hello to everyone here. I've just found this bbs due to the new movie.

I've also liked DS9 the best of the later series. I'd watched til about the mid-sixth season on the original run but then went to college and didn't get it finished except seeing an episode here and there. I generally know how it turned out. I've been rewatching it via Netflix and have just started on the fourth season. For the most part I think DS9 consistently got most things right, excellent ensemble cast, good storylines- I always liked the Bajoran and Cardassian ones and was disappointed (read "outraged" at the time) by the introduction of Worf (and new Klingon storylines). Plus I don't think it had a bad season- the first season was certainly a lot better than the first few years of TNG. I've also always thought DS9 seemed underappreciated. I'm glad to find a place where it isn't.

I'm also glad they didn't try to make a movie of it in retrospect. TNG was never well served by the movies. It seemed like the writers forgot that one of the strengths of TNG was the ensemble cast and tried to force it into the mold of a starring actor or two and forgot everyone else. They would have done the same thing with DS9.

8. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why not pin this thread as our welcome thread, PKTrekGirl? Some of the other shows have one, so we might as well join in.

9. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. :)

I think I'd have to agree with that, as it's something I noticed myself more recently. I was a fairly avid watcher while the show was on, but more recently I've purchased the DVDs thanks to the discount deal Amazon.com had going on. When I first watched, the first couple of seasons always seemed to boring to me, but watching them as an adult has given me a new appreciation for what they were trying to do. Sure, not all of them were good ("Move Along Home" comes to mind here), but I could see that they were already trying to be a deeper show by the themes they were exploring, with the occasional fun episode to balance things out.

I'd have to disagree here, DS9 deserves better than what it's gotten. It was certainly one of the first shows I can think of that really did multi-episode stories, and the way it addressed actions or inactions taken by the characters was head and shoulders above the rest. There's also the way the show allowed other "minor" characters ti get some development too, and that the leader figure didn't have the same kind of arrogance that say Picard or Janeway had, and didn't have the same sense of entitlement to him Archer had. The kind of quality this show had needs more exposure in my opinion.

True; I for one don't need anyone to agree with me about a show or movie in order to like it or feel validated, but I do still wish more people would notice the show. Quotes like the one from Entertainment Weekly which say it was "the best show on television no one noticed" really hit home for me.

A pinned intro thread could never hurt any forum so newbies like me can get used to the idea of posting in a forum before venturing further inside, so to speak. :)

10. robtclements

robtclements Lieutenant Red Shirt

Much as i prefer DS9 to the other shows, this isn't necessarily a plus. A good story derives from the characters themselves - memo this to JJ Abrams if you like - & both TOS & TNG derived their best stories from the very different arrogances of Kirk & Picard. The lack of a fatal flaw in Sisko limited the development of that character seriously; & explains why he appears to be missing in the early seasons. Cf this with the way the writers went to town with Kira's xenophobic tendencies during the same period & you'll see what i mean

(The problem with Janeway is not that she's arroagnt; but that the writers didn't have the guts to tell good stories based on that arrogance. That's the secret reason - everyone knows the obvious reason - why the addition of Seven helped the show; but as all the best TNG writers (sans Braga) had jumped Voyager to do DS9, even that buzz wore out more quickly than it should have)

11. PKTrekGirl

Well, I can pin it if you guys all think it would be helpful. It's been 8 years since I've been a n00b on this board, so I tend to forget what it's like to be new and intimidated here. :lol:

Would you mind, Disillusioned, if I added to your title, perhaps? Like re-title it something like "Welcome Thread: Hello Fellow Niners", or something similar.....

12. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

Nope, wouldn't mind at all. :)

13. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..

^ Sounds great. I raise my kanar to you all, my fellow Niners!

14. NKemp3

NKemp3 Commodore Commodore

Welcome!

15. PKTrekGirl

Done. :)

16. happydave

happydave Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ah a welcome thread has inspired me to create an account so I can actually post.

Hello everyone

I've have been lurking on the DS9 boards for a few weeks now after looking around the web for somewhere I can actually read about the Trek series' and I eventually ended up here.

After viewing all Trek episodes & movies in the last 15 months I must say that I feel DS9 is by far the strongest series in that it feels the most real. I always got the impression that TNG was a bunch of people that 'worked together' rather than true friendships and it irritated me that most of the episodes were one off and that all the characters seemed fairly stagnant (not a great deal of real devestating changes) throughout the series.

I enjoy VOY for what it is, as a lot of the time it comes across as 'fun' Star Trek, nothing too serious, lots of action & a bit like old pulp scifi stories.

I really enjoyed Trentman's thread about the series as watching someone new to the series.

So hello all =).

17. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

*jumps up and down while clapping and giggling happily* :D

And hello to happydave while I'm in here. :)

18. PTRACER

PTRACER Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm pretty new here as well...

DS9 is by far my favourite. I enjoy TNG and Voyager but I've gone off them in recent years, partly because I finally got round to watching all 7 seasons of DS9 in order and it just seems so much stronger than TNG and Voyager in every way.

19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9 for me is ageless. I love TOS and TNG as well, but DS9 still draws me back each time, and I wasn't even a fan of the show initially. It took several years after syndication for me to pay attention, and once I did, I was in.

J.

20. mattyhugh

mattyhugh Commander Red Shirt

I guess I should finally introduce myself here. I've been posting for a while and been lurking for even longer. I'm really glad I found this place to chat DS9 and Trek in general. Count me in Niner ranks. It's by far my favorite series. I enjoy TOS and TNG, but Deep Space Nine is number one. First series that I have actually owned all the series off.