Least Favorite Flag Officer

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain Clark Terrell, Nov 16, 2013.

?

Who is Your Least Favorite Flag Officer?

1. Commodore Jose Mendez ("The Menagerie")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Commodore Stone ("Court Martial")

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Commodore Matt Decker ("The Doomsday Machine")

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Commodore Robert Wesley ("The Ultimate Computer")

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Admiral Heihachiro Nogura ("The Motion Picture")

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Admiral James T. Kirk ("The Motion Picture" - "The Voyage Home")

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Admiral Harry Morrow ("The Search for Spock")

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  8. Admiral Lance Cartwright ("The Voyage Home," "The Undiscovered Country")

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  9. Admiral Mark Jameson ("Too Short a Season")

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  10. Admiral Andrea Brand ("The First Duty")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Admiral Alynna Nechayev (TNG/DS9)

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  12. Admiral Chekote ("The Circle," "Gambit")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Admiral Erik Pressman ("The Pegasus")

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  14. Admiral Toddman ("The Die is Cast")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Admiral James Leyton ("Homefront," "Paradise Lost")

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  16. Admiral Jeremiah Hayes (TNG/VOY)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Admiral Matthew Dougherty ("Insurrection")

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  18. Admiral Kathryn Janeway ("Nemesis")

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  19. Admiral Christopher Pike (nuTrek)

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  20. Admiral Alexander Marcus ("Star Trek Into Darkness")

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Per R. Star's request, here's the "Least Favorite Flag Officer" thread. The focus of this thread/poll will be the various flag officers we've seen throughout Star Trek. Vote for as many options as you want, provided the officer is someone you dislike.

--Sran

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The only one I really disliked was the one from Ensign Ro. Admiral Kennelly.

I see Admiral Kennelly is missing. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I thought Admiral Nogura was only mentioned very briefly in passing in TMP, but didn't make an actual appearance.

4. Captain Clark Terrell

Correct. But he's mentioned enough in TMP that he manages to have a presence in the film despite never being on screen.

--Sran

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I think you're right.

Also: Commodore Stocker (who figured prominently in "The Deadly Years") is not included in the poll. Mendez is missing as well.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I went for Kirk, Jameson and Dougherty.

I'm not he hugest Kirk fan, but he was insufferable as an Admiral who spent more time trying to relive his glory days commanding a ship than focusing on commanding Starfleet Operations--I hope he had an amazing deputy chief who picked up all his slack.

Jameson violates the Prime Directive to begin with, and then driven by vanity and ego sets about trying to kill himself with weird and wacky drugs to cover up the mess he made in the first place.

Dougherty just came across as petty (when Picard called him on the mission) and pretty incompetent (he didn't seem to read anything on the Son'a and after working with Ru'afo for a while totally missed that he wasn't going to be talked out of their plan).

Now if there is a poll for Best Flag Officer then Nechayev would definitely get my vote.

7. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Nechayev was an itch with a capital B in front.

8. Captain Clark Terrell

No, he's not. He's the first option in the poll.

--Sran

9. Captain Clark Terrell

To be fair, Kirk was only Chief of Starfleet Operations in TMP. The rest of the films, he was Commandant of Starfleet Academy. I didn't mind his commanding the Enterprise in TWOK, but I didn't agree with his taking the ship away from Decker at TMP's outset. Decker's detractors like to point to his reluctance to enter the cloud as a reason why he shouldn't have led the mission, but there's no way to know that's what he'd have done had he been in Kirk's place and had the weight of the mission on his shoulders.

I actually think Kirk's decision to throw away his career to save Spock would have come across much more powerfully had he been fully committed to the admiralty rather than cruising around with the Enterprise as his flagship. As everyone knew he wasn't happy in a desk job, his eventual demotion to captain became a reward rather than a punishment. There were extenuating circumstances, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that his time as an admiral was forgettable.

Glad to see there's another Nachayev fan around here besides me. I didn't agree with her initial criticism of Picard, but I liked her handling of the Cardassian situation in "Chain of Command." Jellico was the right man for that mission, no matter what Riker and others might think.

Nechayev was also responsible for bringing Mackenzie Calhoun back to Starfleet for the New Frontier series, which earns her a great deal of street credit in my book.

--Sran

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Oops, you're right. Don't know why I missed it.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted for Necheyev. Not because she's corrupt or ineffective(quite the opposite) but simply because she's a complete.... well itchy with a B.

I'd also probably vote for her in a most effective admiral poll too. They did seem to tone her tone in the few novels I've read that feature her.

12. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I put Nechayev as well. I mean at least with the others they had an agenda whether it be sinister or selfish or whatever. With Nechayev I just sat there thinking, "what is her problem?" She was an asshole from the get go and it didn't really make any sense.

13. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Admiral Marcus is a clear winner for me, but admittedly it's on account of his crossing the line from Curtis "Bombs Away" LeMay-style nuttiness to outright Eeeevil.

My second choice would have been Commodore Stocker, because his mere existence is an affront to Starfleet's honor. A flag officer with zero experience on a starship? Organians preserve us.

Nechayev was always a bit of a prig but always had clear "party line" policy justifications for what she was doing, and was sometimes enough in the right to give Picard convincing reasons to doubt his own judgment. (As in "why the effing hell didn't you destroy the Borg when you had a chance?!" Perfectly understandable, in her position I would be asking that question myself.)

Admiral Pressman likewise had clearly justifiable (albeit at odds with the TNG Federation's hyper-pacifism) reasons for what he was doing.

14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

My top three were; Erik Pressman, because he was heartless and developed weapons he wasn't supposed to; Matthew Dougherty, for being manipulative and clueless; and Alexander Marcus, for being a warmonger.

I think Janeway should be an Admiral after all she went through and has knowledge of.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I second this.

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I get why some are against Nechayev, as this is your "least favourite" admiral and she was never out to win any popularity contests, but if this was a "who was the most effective admiral" then she would have to win. She focuses on the bigger picture, the interstellar politics, and the consequences for what might happen, rather than being Picard and Co's buddy, all without corrupt or evil. Yes she is never that friendly to the E-D crew, but she could be the one who orders them on a mission that would see the ship destroyed and the crew killed, so she can't let herself get too emotionally attached.

I'd loved to have see her as a Captain.

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I didn't vote for Nechayev because she was efficient but it wouldn't have hurt her to be a little nicer.

18. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Agreed. I love Nechayev and Akaar as well.

I couldn't vote for any in this poll. I was looking for Admiral Jellico as I can't stand him.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could not possibly vote for Nechayev in a poll like this. Not only because she was actually a very good officer, but I had a white-hot crush on her ever since she appeared. :devil:

20. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can picture him barging into Nogura's office with the "Glory Days" Springsteen song stuck in his head.