Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

^ Alright, I'll trust your well-informedness :).

2. SheerQuality

SheerQuality Commander Red Shirt

are the audio problems only on the 7.1 setting? Will you have the same issues on 5.1? I wonder if it is worth while to open up a new thread informing people on any new info coming out from CBS regarding fixes/replacement disks.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, ok. I don't have a Blu-Ray enabled PC (Even though could I get an adaptor to make my PC Blu-Ray compatible) so that's why I didn't notice it. I thought you guys were talking about the physical disc. Thanks for the clarification. :)

4. LastRideOut

LastRideOut Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Right now I am almost done OCR'ing the .sup files from all the episodes into .srt files. Once that's done, I'll upload the entire set of .srt files onto subscene.com so that no one else has to spend hours OCR'ing the subtitles like I've been doing.

EDIT: The .srt files will be for the 1080p Blu-Ray set, obviously. They are different from the DVD/DIVX .srts found on subscene for TNG S1.

5. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

I don't see the same problem you're seeing with that shot of Singh in the briefing room... I can see his face perfectly.

And CBS is using a Spirit DataCine film scanner, which always scans the film initially at 4K, holds that image in the frame buffer and can down-res on the fly to whatever resolution is needed... in this case, 2K.

6. Maxwell Everett

Yes, because the problem is with the left, center and right channels, which is also used in 5.1, of course.

7. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

8. Maxwell Everett

TNG-R is being mastered in 2K. 4K post is virtually non-existent in the TV world, even now. Even many films don't go through a full 4K post process. For instance, Prometheus was completed in 2K (stereoscopic) to avoid inflating the post-production budget by a factor of four (4K is four times the resolution of 2K, so four times the cost!).

9. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whilst it undoubtedly proves to be a point of frustration for those who appreciate the audio more, I don't particularly have much of a problem with the episodes where the vocal track comes through the centre, and FL & FR speakers. It's balanced at least. EaF however, just sounds weird with nothing coming through the FL to balance out the FR.

10. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched Code of Honor. Again, the remastering on this episode is superb. The audio is quite good as well. The sound of the spectators beating those sticks together is nicely audible from the aft speakers. Hope the audio mixes will become more active as the seasons progress.

11. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I've noticed something as well I'm upto episode lonely among us and I've noticed a couple of times radom black squares that appear on the bridge consoles behind tasha/worf shoe horn security console.?? As anybody else noticed these ???

12. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ They are pieces of cardboard they used to place on the set especially in the early seasons to hide reflections of the film crew and equipment. They reduced the use of them as they got smarter about how to film the sets.

13. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

No way I didn't see them before !!! must be the HD magic !!!

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just was playing "Haven" and the audio is awful. Again, this is just on TV speakers, but everyone sounds like high pitched robots. It's a shame there wasn't any quote in the episode "By Your Command" because they really do sound like the old Battlestar Galactica Cylons. I hope there is a recall soon because I have 30 days to return the set to Best Buy and I'm thinking about doing just that.

15. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation SHo:bolian:

16. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Ensign Red Shirt

I noticed with the Blue Ray set as well not sure if any one else also touched on it.

To me the Audio is out of sync with the video by a few seconds.

Either you see mouths moving a few milliseconds (data speak) and then you hear the dialog.

Or the dialog starts and then the mouths move.

I have a Samsung Blue Ray and Sound bar with wireless sub woffer.

My TV is the first generation Samsung LCD 32 inch TV and have never encountered this issue before watching Blue Rays or DVDs.

I am going to try and reach CBS customer support regarding this and the audio issues.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Have you tried turning the sound bar off and watching through the TV speakers? I'm nearing disc five and haven't noticed any audio sync issues in the episodes themselves.

18. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched The Last Outpost (I'm planning to watch just one episode a day). Another great episode that looks and sounds superb. I love how the sound of Portal's energyfield travels through all the speakers. The 7.1 mixes really do add something (when they're authored correctly). Great job.

19. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm almost through disc 2 and I've noticed that so far all of the SD content (episodic promos and the 2 intro features) are all appearing in wide-screen for me. I couldn't tell you if it's being stretched or zoomed, but the settings on my TV are fine for everything else. Has anyone else experienced this? My instinct is that it's just a setting on my TV or bluray player, but I can't seem to find where...

20. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The promos and the intro features appeared in 4:3 for me.