The Official Welcome Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lord Garth, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doing what? I think Star Trek can be discussed in a genuinely open manner, where everyone participates on even ground.

If you folks are interested, you can find us in TNZ.

J.

2. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Welcome xman, good to see you're starting them early. :)

3. xman

xman Commander Red Shirt

The first few episodes were supposed to be gritty, a darker dirtier Trek and while I think it eventually got there, it lost that sense for quite some time after the first few episodes and I stopped caring. That was just me.

Are you trying to make friends with me? :D

4. Sub-Odeon

Sub-Odeon Ensign Newbie

Howdy do. I thought I had an account here from a couple of years ago? Had to re-sign up just now.

Anyway, I runt he STSTCSOLD&A and occasionally lurk on this forum. Excitement over Star Trek 2009 has had me reading here more than usual. Thought I should throw in my two cents.

Are custom avatars denied for new users? In my profile it has a single radio button that is permanently checked for disabling the avatar.

5. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

It did go through a run of pretty generic TNG-like episodes, I agree. I kept watching though because the cast were always worth it.

Welcome to the BBS :)

Oh, and Sub-odeon - yes, avatars come in after a certain amount of posts, can't remember how many - click on the FAQ link at the top of the screen, it should tell you.

6. friedebarth

friedebarth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Okay, another Hello thread.

I'm Friedebarth, a trekker from Germany and I hate the new movie. Well, except for fanon 24th century designs of the altered movie timeline. And I like the new technobabble and stuff. Yeah, but apart from that, I think the new movie is utter crap. McCoy doesn't have a southern Accent, the Enterprise looks like Apple iDildo-prise and so forth.

Good film, but bad Trek.

7. jeremiah_jux

jeremiah_jux Ensign Newbie

Hi everyone! My name is Jeremiah, you can just call me Jux. I became a fan after watching STXI. Now I'm watching the Star Trek Original series! It's awesome!

8. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Cool. Enjoy it. :techman:

9. Amaris

I remember the first time I watched TOS. I think that's why I love the movie so much. It brings back that magic and wonder of a being a Trekkie as a kid.

J.

10. Bobatiel

Bobatiel Commodore Commodore

Hey Jux, Welcome!

What is it about Star Trek that you like so much?

How many episodes have you watched so far?

11. Minuialeth

Minuialeth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's exactly how I felt exiting the theater. The four times :)

How I envy you, Jux, to discover all this!
    I think it's wonderful that STXI is going to bring new people to the fandom. The fact that Jux seems to enjoy TOS as well is telling about the movie.

12. Amaris

Indeed. I'm crazy about my TOS, and I still love this movie. It feels like an updated original series movie.

J.

13. jeremiah_jux

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! The entertainment value of the movie is what drew me in at first. It just looked really fun to watch! :p I then looked into TOS and I just loved how awesome the stories are and how cool things look! I've just been zooming through the episodes! :drool:

I just finished watching "The Conscience of The King" so I guess I've seen 13.

14. jeremiah_jux

Oh how I envy you for being able to watch the movie four times! I'm too broke to watch it again. :lol:

15. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

what I want to know is why are you dragging these good people outta this forum?! at this rate, we won't have anyone left! :scream:

16. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

jeremiah_jux,wow that is great that you dove right in to TOS like that.

17. indranee

what'd you think of that ep?

you know Tarsus IV is probably no longer one of the formative experiences in Jim Kirk's young life. instead, he is shaped by his father's death.

interesting stuff.

18. L_E_E

L_E_E Cadet Newbie

Hi. I am not exactly new to Star Trek. Although to be honest, I have never been a fan of TOS. I was a fan of ST:TNG, though. But after several bad movies, IMHO, I stopped being a fan. I don't think I watched the last 2 or 3 movies of ST:TNG.

Anyway, I did not really think I would enjoy this movie. Mainly because it's based on TOS and I was expecting that it would be another prequel type movie like Star Wars 1-3. And even after seeing the trailer, I still did not feel like watching it. But then, someone said reboot and AU. And that got me interested. So I did watch the movie with my 17 yr old bro and mom the other. And we all had such a great time! :techman: It was very entertaining from start to finish. The actors portraying the familiar characters were all great. Which is another surprise. My mom knows about the old TOS and my bro does not know anything about Star Trek at all. He thought this was another ST:TNG movie so I had to give him a brief rundown of the Star Trek basics.

I have a feeling that this movie has made new fans from new generations and revitalised the interest on the franchise for people like me. I can't wait for the next installment.

19. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

who knows
    ;)

maybe young kirk had just got back from tarsus and couldnt get his
    step father to understand the horror he had seen..
    and well decided to teach him a little lesson about grief over loss.
    ;)

20. indranee

you know... I did think of that. that'd actually be awesome. beyond awesome if they did something with it!