Could A Superboy Series Work?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Taylirious, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am not sure what the environment is at DC/WB and what they will allow...but I think a (Kon-El) series would be great for TV, like The CW of course. :rommie:

Given the new Superman movie 'Man Of Steel' it might be impossible now cause Superman and Lex Luthor would play an important part and I am sure the show would have to acknowledge other superheroes, but it could build up to where lesser know characters are involved until Conner discovers who exactly gave him his DNA.

I am concerned with Superman being solely a film franchise now that I'd like to see something related to Superman on TV again. :techman:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We just had one. And it lasted for literally a million years.

3. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was thinking about a universe where superheroes were already established, which could be a problem given possible movies unless it works with them. 'Smallville' was what it was and Clark didn't find out about other heroes until like S9 and then we didn't get a Conner until S10. Clark had his little group in S6 and on but it wasn't like what he discovered later on in S9. I really don't think it has to be like 'Smallville'. 'Arrow' seems like leaps and bounds a head of it half way through the first season. ;)

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

The fact that a) Arrow isn't about a boy, and b) isn't burdened by gobbledygook about space aliens in different factions and varieties probably has a lot to do with that.

In other words, to your original question, no. ;)

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

agreed. no more young Superman tween drama shows please.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I don't think so either. While the the Konner Kent is a different character, the types of stories would be very similar. Whenever has had a solo series in the comics they used a lot of ideas from Clark as Superboy stories.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The CW (the most likely place for a Superboy series) seems interested in doing a Wonder Woman series for this fall. They've got a successful superhero show starring a guy now, so they'll want a girl show for gender balance. Their viewership is getting more balanced but still skews female.

Two shows like that should be more than enough for that channel and I can't think of any other channel that would make a live action superhero series a priority.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they're going to have a new live action Superboy, I need them to cast a 7 or 8 year old and for that boy to be in the cape and tights from the fist episode.

No fucking about.

9. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seems to me that if WB were going to do another Superboy show, a better place for it would be on Cartoon network. When you consider all the kid hero shows that have been successful over the past few years, why not one about flying boy, his superpowered dog and the adventures they have?

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree, a cartoon would make more sense.

CW is just going to become the place for teen super heroes and Vampire Daisies spinoffs.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

FWIW: There's a difference between the current incarnation of Superboy and a teenage Clark Kent. First of all, different power sets and Superboy is an active, practicing, costumed superhero.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There already is a Cartoon Network animated show featuring the Connor Kent version of Superboy. It's called Young Justice. Granted, he's just one member of an ever-growing ensemble cast, but he's one of the main characters.

As for the superpowered dog, Krypto the Superdog ran on Cartoon Network for two seasons from 2005-6.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It would be too expensive to do.

This is the same problem doing a Trek show these days will run into.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Oh, god. Superpup flashbacks!

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Also if I NEVER heard the words "'meteor rock" or "Kryptonite" ever again it will be too soon! :p

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. However, that doesn't mean a new "Superboy" cartoon series wouldn't work. Personally, I'd like to see one that was more "Ben 10" or "Adventure Time" that might get younger kids into the characters.