Spoilers VAN: Storming Heaven by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Mar 19, 2012.

?

Rate Storming Heaven.

1. Outstanding

68 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. Above Average

24 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. Average

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

Re: Vanguard: Storming Heaven by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

For my part, I thought this was an excellent finish to a strong storyline; for me at least, it held up much better as a finale than Rise Like Lions or To Brave the Storm did for their respective arcs.

I seriously hope that, even with Vanguard as a series having run its course, that there will be room in the future for more novels (or series) with new settings; with so much of the broader multiverse out there to explore, it would be unfortunate if the demands for more works based on the TV crews ended up pushing everything else out of the way.

That said, I can't help but feel a little put out by the way in which some of the TV cameos here were handled; I'm not saying they weren't entirely welcome, but it is a bother when they can at times seem to creep too close to the line of being shown in a better light than the crews these books were intended to showcase in the first place. But maybe that was me reading too much into things here and there.

If anything, the one issue I would personally have with the series is how some of the space combat is handled. Maybe it's the me more used to how things are handled in the Star Fleet Universe talking, but when you get used to stories (published by ADB) in which the mechanics behind how the ship-to-ship operations being shown in the plot are carefully laid out, it can be a bit hard to gauge things here; especially given that the shared heritage of the SFU and the Franchise is most prominent in the TOS era. Though I will admit that it's not necessarily a problem with the work itself, just with the way I find myself approaching it.

But, overall, I definitely enjoyed the book, and the series overall. Thanks to all of you on the BBS who have contributed to making it work, and good luck with whatever may come next time around!

2. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

David, do you know if Doug Drexler has been reading the series and is a fan of Vanguard? I know he is a giant Trek fan and has created a lot of the art for it, but it would be cool to know his thoughts of the series itself.

From what I gather from his blog, he is a busy man and probably doesn't have much reading time.

I would love for him to put some of his Vanguard covers into motion like he has done with some of his SOTL pictures.

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ To the best of my knowledge, Doug has not read the series. I can't blame him, though — he's one of the hardest-working digital artists in Hollywood.

4. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great finale, and a wonderful read! I've written my review, and I really can't say enough.
    The final fates of characters like Ming Xiong and Dr. Fisher were tragic and definitely made me tear up a bit. The deaths were, of course, really sad, but they definitely make you realize that this isn't the happy-go-lucky Trek that some of us are used to. This is the most realistic I've ever seen Star Trek get. Kudos!
    Amazing writing, and a sad farewell to an amazing series that has been the highlight of my Trek Lit reading for the past couple of years.

5. David Mack

^ Thanks for your linked review. I am flattered to hear how well the finale worked for you, and I am pleased that it lived up to (and in some respects exceeded) your expectations.

6. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

Those of you who read the official magazine during my tenure will know that I've supported this series (perhaps more than strict lack of partisanship would dictate) with assorted features over the years (the piece in the Starships and Space Stations Special [#35] was the core around which much of that issue was based). Now I don't have to be "correct" I can give it even more credit, as, to my mind, the best overall bit of Star Trek literature in the last few years.

My review of Storming Heaven is here. Enjoy!

Paul

7. MatthiasRussell

^ I really need to pick up a copy of that issue about ships and stations.

8. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

That, and the two Ultimate Guides, are the ones that I am so glad I got to do. I can *almost* not regret the other missed opportunities because I got to do those.

9. MatthiasRussell

A few more random thoughts of mine on Storming Heaven:

I like how experimenting with Tkon crystals caused the explosion of Ceti Alpha VI that displaced Ceti Alpha V. Then Starfleet changed the star charts to cover it up. This made much more sense about why the Reliant crew had no clue that Khan was there.

I was glad that the info provided by the Apostate before he died was able to be relayed. After the end of Declassified, I was distraught that Quinn and Bridy’s final mission was all for naught. I remember thinking, “Great character development of Quinn but I just wasted a lot of time reading a plot thread that dead ends!”

When a Shedai gathering is detected, Theriault says, “I guess they got the band back together.” Loved the apparent Blues Brothers reference.

I’m not sure I like how the Constitution and Miranda class ships are referred to as warships. Yes Starfleet is a military organization for the most part but I never see Starfleet refer to their vessels as warships and rarely to themselves as soldiers. Also, have Starfleet ships been referred to as frigates either on screen or in literature before? Seems like I’ve only used this term used in battle-themed video games.

10. MatthiasRussell

I’d be curious to know from readers- Whose side would you be on in using the Tkon machine powered by the Shedai? Dr Marcus or the Starfleet admiralty?

11. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Just finished the book. It was awesome, thanks Dave:bolian: It is a fitting end to a truly great Star trek saga.

12. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

Outfreakingstanding! Just like the whole series just numbed its over!

Next step make Vangard the next Trek TV series!!!

13. David Mack

Thanks!

If such a glorious thing should come to pass (which I doubt), I can only hope it would be produced by HBO.

14. CommodoreNero

CommodoreNero Captain Captain

I finished this a few days ago, and I have to say, I'm sincerely impressed. Thank you to all the Vanguard writers who wrote such mature, compelling and utterly realized story and characters.

I found the ethical dilemmas presented in this part of the story totally engrossing, and uncomfortably contemporary. Carol Marcus felt pitch perfect too.

And, DM, I honestly 100% understand your music choices looking for inspiration. I'm trying to write my first novel and I've been gravitating towards similar fare.

Great job, truly.

15. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Wow.

Just... wow.

Words fail me honestly. SUCH a incredible ending, it really lived up to the high quality of the rest of the series. Great book. I also hope we'll see more stories with these characters.

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

It also explains the line in Paths of Disharmony where the Tholian Commander references the Crimes of the Reach.

17. David Mack

^ Precisely. This endgame has been in the works for quite a while, so we were able to foreshadow it in books that are actually set after it (but were released before it).

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if any of the Vanguard characters appear in it, but Dayton Ward has announced that his upcoming e-book, In Tempest's Wake does tie into the Vanguard story.

19. MatthiasRussell

I understand that Starfleet's research accidently caused those incidents that disturbed the Tholians. Starfleet also made a bad move continuing their experiments with the Tkon crystals instead of destroying them or locking away the Shedai. But I honestly don't understand why the Tholians were angry at the UFP in Paths of Disharmony. Starfleet officers acted to save a Tholian crew on one occasion and Starfleet never deliberately assaulted or insulted the Tholians in the Taurus Reach. I feel that all the Tholian ill will was misguided and just part of their general xenophobia. The Tholians commited far more atrocious acts against the UFP than the UFP commited against the Tholians.

20. David Mack

Have a look at the Vanguard Series Bible. The short answer is, the actions of the Federation and Starfleet — especially the misguided attempt to weaponize the Tkon Array — triggered ancestral memories of the Tholians' experiences with the Shedai.

An incident that the Tholian Ruling Council went to some effort to conceal from its own people, to the extent that an officer from the rescued Tholian crew (Nezrene) and a member of the Ruling Conclave (Ezthene) were forced into exile.

To paraphrase Publius Cornelius Tacitus, "We hate most those we have wronged."