Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 4, 2010.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman reboot director Zack Snyder calls General Zod being the villain in the film just a rumor.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Bring on Darkseid! :D

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

*shivers* There's people who go "Will Zod be in the movie?" - "No, it's just a rumor." and people who go "Will Khan be in the movie?" - "You know, it's interesting... blabla, we're open to all possibilities... blabla, we can't deny nor confirm it, blabla..."

4. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I hate these wishy washy answers. Just say 'yes' or 'no' (preferably 'no' to both Khan and Zod, because they're perfect as they are in old movies and recasting/reinterpreting them would be stupid).

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I can understand why they don't want to say yes or no at this point, although I think a simple "no comment" would suffice.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing is that you usually don't deny or confirm it when it's true. At least I do that. So they could confirm it right away. What are they going to lose now by admitting it that they aren't going to lose in six months?

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

They like to keep things under wraps for as long as possible. It keeps people guessing and prolongs a bit of buzz around each aspect of the production. Plus there's always the off-chance of a change via rewrites (one of the villains in Green Lantern was changed late in the game).

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's annoying when they do that in the first place.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I suspect that had less to do with Jon Peters and more to do with the fact that the movie was going to be directed by Tim Burton. EVERY Burton character looks like that!

Agreed. The 1978 John Williams theme still kicks ass to this day and is among my top 5 movie themes ever.

I also like the website's assertion that we might want to see something like this...
    [​IMG]
    :guffaw:Superman is such a dick!:guffaw:

Yeah, and most origin stories aren't really that interesting. Superman's origins are less interesting than most. He's an alien from another planet. That's it. He doesn't even undergo the same kind of unexpected superpowered transformation that you have with heroes like Spider-Man & the Fantastic Four. Frankly, Superman's origins are my least favorite part of the 1978 Richard Donner movie. IMO, it gets bogged down in self-seriousness until we get to Metropolis and see the crackling chemistry between Christopher Reeve & Margot Kidder.

The outer trappings of Batman's origins aren't very interesting either. His parents are murdered. Batman Begins was able to make that origin story interesting because the entire story was about the unique emotional journey that took Bruce Wayne from grieving orphan to masked hero.

If Superman's origin is a vital part of the story that Goyer, Nolan, & Snyder want to tell, by all means, include it. But don't spend a lot of time on Krypton & what-have-you if you don't have anything to actually say about it.

11. JacksonArcher

It sounds like the rumors of this being a "hard-edged origin story" are true.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Superman and Batman have two of the best origins in comics in my opinion. That's not to say we need to see them in detail in every screen iteration, but the strength of their origins is a big part of their enduring appeal.

13. JacksonArcher

I have a feeling if we're going to get a full-on origin story, it'll likely be non-linear similar to Batman Begins and be very different than Superman: The Movie.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Yeah, I think so, too. I can see this rumored storyline of him traveling the world as journalist Clark Kent as he ponders his future (and past) and then returning to Metropolis and becoming Superman halfway through the film panning out as true.

15. JacksonArcher

Indeed. I'm kind of excited, because back when this project was first rumored, there was sayings that Goyer drew from John Bryne's Birthright, which I always thought would make for a great model for a new Superman film. We saw Clark Kent all across the globe, as a reporter in Africa, and I think if that's the direction Nolan and Goyer are heading, then I am very much so on-board with that approach.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The Man of Steel is the John Byrne story they were originally rumored to be referencing. Birthright is Mark Waid's more recent origin story that has Clark travelling the world before suiting up as Superman (although The Man of Steel has a brief allusion to that, too).

I could see them doing some big FX sequences in the first half of the movie where Clark uses his powers to help people without anyone seeing his face - kind of like a Smallville rescue sequence on steroids and in foreign locales.

17. JacksonArcher

Wow, I can't believe I mixed up the stories (or, more accurately, the authors). I was referring to Birthright in terms of a modern origin for new audiences, since I remember really enjoying that story.

Batman Begins made Bruce Wayne interesting by having the first hour of the film focused on his travels and understanding him as a character. However, it was never dull and Nolan and Goyer managed to make it very entertaining. I have a feeling they could apply a similar approach to Superman that would work just as well.

18. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate it already. There have now been two big rumors about Snyder's Superman. First, the Zod rumor. Now, the Batman Begins formula. Both indicate a heavy bias towards what worked before elsewhere. I'd prefer an epic adventure about Superman as an experienced hero, with no further explorations of his early years. Also, no Luthor and no Zod.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Not that I think it really would have happened, but I would guess that means no Jon Hamm as Superman.

He's a little old to be just starting out...

Sadness.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The two best, really.

Most origin stories are just about how whoever-it-is gets their powers.

Spider-Man's is the other one that's rather special, because the circumstance that causes him to use his powers to fight crime also define his character.