NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^Raiders, Chiefs, Titans all might be in the mix for some new bodies at the QB position. Of course Smith will get killed behind those lines but the money should be good.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I could see the Eagles as interested as well, depending on how that feel about Nick Foles.

3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

What if Smith went to Cleveland, where the rookie starter is just as hold as he is? :D

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Wow, Drew Brees. Just wow.

Well, I was hoping to secure the first round bye in my fantasy football league, but after a shitshow like that one, looks like I'll need a stellar effort from the rest of my team. Luckily, I've already clinched a playoff spot, but wow. Just wow.

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It might be a bit soon to be calling the rest of the season for Kaepernick. He could very well crash and burn in the next few weeks. As a Niners fan (and who has been oft-frustrated by Smith's more timid game) I certainly hope he doesn't, but Smith has proven to be solid (if not impressive) enough that they may think twice if Kaepernick struggles in the next game or two.

6. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

7. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

^This is the one year where the playoff simulator is mostly irrelevant.

The AFC is basically set other than the final wild card, which I assume will be Pittsburgh if Roethlisberger comes back anytime soon. (New England, Baltimore, Houston, and Denver are pretty much sure fire bets.)

The NFC is a bit muddier, but you can pretty much lock in Atlanta, Chicago, and San Fran. I'd hedge my bets on the Giants and Green Bay, and then a drunken cat fight between Dallas, Washington, Seattle, and Tampa for the last spot.

8. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

KCPD confirms that Jovan Belcher murdered his girlfriend and then killed himself at the team practice facility -- in front of coaches and teammates.

Cancel that game, NFL. C'mon.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

10. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I played with the simulator a bit, and I noticed something that none of the commentators seem to be pointing out. Everyone has New England locked into the #2 seed, but if Houston beats them they potentially drop to #3 or even #4 based on how Denver and Baltimore play out. That's based on a single loss, btw.

11. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Feel sad that their 3 month old baby will never know his/her parents, other that this tragic footnote in history.

12. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Holy crap. I hate that my first thought, when the story first broke, was "I hope it wasn't one of the former UT players on the team." This is incredibly tragic. I also didn't know there was a 3 month old left behind in the wake of all this. Yeah, how in the hell can there possibly be a game tomorrow? How can anyone in the KC franchise possibly be ready to carry on? And their season was already miserable just from a win/loss standpoint....

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Tragic thing. All reports are saying that the game WILL be played tomorrow. I've no idea how that's even conceivable considering the coach and players who saw Belcher commit suicide. I mean, I think you'd need more than a day or so to get over that. I'm sure postponing the game would mess a lot of things up in scheduling and such but, come on, these are dire circumstances. I think it calls for it.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

They're certainly strange circumstances that make it awkward to force players to play in what will amount to an utterly meaningless game. But I'm not sure if there's a better alternative. Maybe they'd prefer the distraction, I don't know.

15. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very unfortunate what's happened.... you can't help but wonder what would drive someone to do somethign like that.

As for the game, the decision to move forward was actually the Chiefs' call. According to Yahoo, Crennel and the team captains discussed it and decided to go ahead with the game.

16. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I have to think, though, that people who just watched a player flow his head off might not be in the best condition to be making decisions.

Who knows, though? Cassel's Dad died and the very next day he dropped four touchdowns and 49 points on the Raiders.

Yeah, Smith got a lukewarm reception on the market last year, but that was mostly because he made it known right from the start that he intended to stay in San Francisco (he admitted that he made the trip to visit Miami just for the free vacation and because he heard the 49ers were after Manning so he was hedging his bets). He responded by putting together a really solid array of baseline stats (which covers up his deficiencies, which I talked about earlier), so GMs who look at easy counting numbers are going to be hungry. Kansas City is probably going to clean house and the Jets are realizing that between Tebow and Sanchez they've got a bag of shit, and it wouldn't be unthinkable for the Vikings to call, given that Christian Ponder has a problem with being Not Good At Football.

In any event, Smith will hit the market. There's no way the team pays a $7.5 million roster bonus to a backup quarterback.

17. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Then that should settle any question about whether to play the game. The team votes to carry on. Done. Play ball. For these guys, the best thing therapeutically my well be to play the game.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I guess, in fairness, there'd be a LOT of money involved in shifting the games not to mention huge levels of inconveniences to the fans, the networks. sponsors and so many others. It's not very easy to shift the schedule when both teams have already had their Byes, especially at pretty much the last minute. But, at the same time, it's a game that doesn't matter for either team.

It'll certainly be interesting to see how it unfolds tomorrow.

19. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

New England currently is the #3 seed, behind Houston and Baltimore. Even if they end up with the same record as the Ravens, they will finish behind Baltimore because they lost to them head to head.

At least they beat Denver, we'll see against Houston.

My feeling is they will win 1 of 2 against Houston and SF and mop up the remaining cupcakes on the schedule. Kinda sucks that 12-4 will probably only buy you a home game in wild card week.

20. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Well, if that's what the team really wants to do, more power to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.