Farscape rewatch

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by AntonyF, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Stark was written out of the series near the end of the third season so Paul Goddard could pursue theatrical acting. It wasn't the writers choice, but the actors. And he was still brought back to the series several times in season four, when his schedule permitted.

The season one DVDs are out of stock on Netflix, IIRC, due to rights issues. But that should be resolved very soon when the complete series is re-released on DVD (or has that already happened?).

And didn't Stark at least get a throw-away line at the end of season one explaining his absence? Or am I remembering a different throw-away line explaining another one of his absences?

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I figured it was something like that. Just like Virginia Hey had to leave because of acting concerns/not wanting to be bald/makeup problems (it was one or all of those), and Tammy Morrisson also left to pursue a film career, IIRC.

Had Goddard signed up to return as a regular for season five, out of curiosity?

Nope. He just vanishes. He does get a throwaway line explaining what happened when he comes back in season two - he's returning the pod the Moyans lent him to leave last time - though where he went, who knows! Well, right, he was busy most of this time setting up the ingenious plan for the S2 finale arc, but bear with me.

He doesn't get any such lines for his return at the end of S4, though, so you're probably thinking of the line I referenced.

3. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For anyone reading the recent (and still!!) ongoing comics (written by Keith R.A. DeCandido and Rockne O'Bannon), they've covered the Hynerian plot with Rygel already. And continue to cover it. GREAT reads!! They capture the series perfectly, and I think it's gonna be all we're going to get until those webisodes come out, if they ever do. And if those DO come out, O'Bannon says these comics are not only canon, but will be important to the stories.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Hey left because she was having an allergic reaction to the make-up. It was getting painful for her, and there was no way she could continue the role as a regular. She had already reduced her role significantly during season two, but the make-up was still taking its toll.

I'm not sure. I'm willing to bet that a lot of that was up in the air when cancellation came down and it became a moot point. He was able to come back for the miniseries, though, and was also able to cut his hair, so it is possible.

That's the line I was thinking of. Thanks for refreshing my memory, which is obviously failing far before I get to old age. :lol:

And I'll echo the endorsement of M'rk, son of Mogh for the comic series that's out now. The first hardcover, The Beginning of the End of the Beginning, hit the tone of the series perfectly (and dealt with the Hynerian thread leftover from the Peacekeeper Wars).

5. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really enjoyed season four, so I disagree on that point. But I do agree that season one has that inexplicably amazing feel to it that was lost at precisely the moment you mentioned. I especially liked the music in early episodes, such as the tune at the end of episode three out on the observation deck.

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just got done watching Babylon 5, and one of the questions I was asked afterwards was if I considered B5 the greatest scifi show ever. I had to say no because I still have a huge love for Farscape. This show was original, fun when it needed to be, serious when it needed to be, and just one of the most well written, well acted, and just damn cool series I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing on television. I may buy the new release when it comes out because I really miss this show to death.

7. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm planning a rewatch as soon as the Complete Series DVD hit my doorstep in a few months.

Merry Christmas to me.

I should probably do a B5 run through as well and then finish up with DS9, it's been about 4 years since the last time I did either of those.

8. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

These are the first comics I've ever read (well not counting the Beano as a kid, and Arsenic Lullbay). First graphic novels I read? I didn't want the hassle of ordering them, so found them on the iPhone for 59p each! However I got to part two of four... and now there's no parts three and four!

But aside from the odd line, the dialog really does fit with the show. And Aeren and Crichton arguing over who would look after the kid I felt was very spot on.

And it made her kidneys bleed. Jesus! Granny also started to have makeup issues, which is why she's not in Peacekeeper Wars much.

I've watched B5 through three times, so it doesn't have rewatch ability yet. DS9 too many times too. But I am now in the mood for another mass run through and don't have much! Bah. So watching One Tree Hill season 6 now... not quite Farscape is it?

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I'm with ya. I like the epsiode fine. I don't think there's a single ep of the series that I dislike.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't dislike any either, though there are certainly a few that I would be perfectly okay with never watching again.

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

That's my plan too. I just wish it was about $30. less than it is. I might wait for Christmas and order it from Amazon. They should offer some kind of deal for the holidays. They did last year.

12. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

I think +$25 per season of an out of print show is a great deal. I can't see it dropping much, but I could be wrong.

13. AntonyF

Everything drops from its release price eventually, just depends how much.

My sweet spot for TV purchasing is £15 per season now... which is because the market has forced me down so much with its cost cutting, I expect it now.

14. AntonyF

Which is ironic incidentally, because Farscape is the most I've ever paid for a TV show. I paid £100 per season. That's $640 for four seasons!

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

God knows what I paid. I bought both individual disks and Starburst editions in random mix as they came out.

16. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When Farscape was good, it was great. When it was bad, it could be pretty stinkin' bad.

Also another vote for season 4 wasn't bad. Sure the first half had more than a fair share of clunkers but when they go Hot to Katratzi, things really start building up. While it wasn't a season long finale (similar to what DS9 had), it was still very very good.

Also, I kinda liked Sikozu and Granny. And Commandant (boob sweat) Grayza was interesting. I felt that they should have utilized her a little more than they did.

Another vote for The Choice too. I quite enjoyed when Farscape did "Drama" but their humor was just too weird for me. I wish they had spent more time on the arcs and left the silly Crackers don't matter stuff out. The John-Aeryn pairing makes for stupendous angsty "high-voltage drama" tag scenes.

It took me a little while but I totally started liking Dominar Rygel. It was interesting that they gave him that personality and also (sometimes) made him a bad-a$$.

But the best Farscape feature for me - the tag scenes. Dynamite!! (Did I say I loved Farscape for it's "Drama" already?)

17. Kegg

But the crackers don't matter! ;)

But yeah, Farscape's humour could be hit and miss for me, though probably more hit than miss. However I think by and large it blended arc material and standalone craziness very well - if the series had been all arc and interstellar politics it simply would not be Farscape. That's Babylon 5.

Farscape can be about wormholes and Scorpius and the fate of the galaxy, but it's also about the Moyans being hurled into bizarre situations, allowing the show to creatively mess about with sci-fi tropes. That's really a major part of why I love it so.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  18. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Amen to that.

Crackers don't matter.

Farscape is a show that comes along once in a blue moon that really makes you happy to have seen it. The flaws just add character to it.

19. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Babylon 5 did have standalone episodes. It was one of the first space opera with a long term thru line but it had standalone character eps too in the early seasons.

Also, while I like B5 and it had some good stuff ( I enjoyed Jurasik and Katsulas) but I think Farscape got many of the drama elements "better" than B5.

20. Kegg

Well, I reserve my right to florid exaggeration. Strictly speaking, a fully arced Farscape still wouldn't be B5 as their arcs are sort of different in content, yet I disgress. So, yes, I just put in a sentence because it sounded cool, but I also had a point behind it:

Essentially, B5 spent a lot more time developing the political intricacies of its universe than Farscape did. It has standalone episodes, but at the end of the day it is about the big, sweeping events, the rise and fall of interstellar polities and the maturity of the younger races and other Big Issues.

Farscape is about wormhole weapons and the Peacekeeper/Scarran conflict, but it's just as much about the oddball standalone stuff it does. If I'm making sense here - Farscape's heart is really in episodes like "Crackers Don't Matter" just as much as it is in "Into the Lion's Den", while Babylon 5 has a clear slant towards its Epic Times, and its best standalone tends to be stuff that's still character/universe oriented rather than some strange anomaly tale.

True. I'd ascribe this simply to having an all-round better cast - Farscape's B.B. (Ben Browder) could whip Babylon 5's B.B. (Bruce Boxleitner) any day.