Dating Range?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kestra, Feb 1, 2013.

?

What's your typical dating range?

1. - less than 5 years

20.3%
  2. - 5 years

34.4%
  3. - 10 years

29.7%
  4. - 15 years

3.1%
  5. - 20 years

1.6%
  6. + less than 5 years

14.1%
  7. + 5 years

25.0%
  8. + 10 years

25.0%
  9. + 15 years

10.9%
  10. + 20 years

3.1%
  11. None of the above/I like to be difficult.

14.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Not Jurassic Park necessarily, but this is kind of how I unofficially judge the situation. If I make pop culture references that you don't understand, you're probably a bit too young.

Right now I'm dating (and I use the term loosely) a girl who is 5 years younger than me (we are 23 and 28). We get along extremely well, but every once in a while there are moments that make me think, "Wow, she is really young." I can't really blame her, though. She's about as mature as I was 5 years ago, and I feel like I've grown up even more since then. Maybe it'll work; maybe it won't. Doesn't mean it's not worth trying.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean in the conventional pop star sense. I think most women are actually attractive :)

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Like I always say, all women are beautiful. ;)

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah, same here.

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad we agree! :D
    I'm also a big fan of Katy Perry. She's so damned adorable.

6. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I thought the guys would be skewing younger than this.

7. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Outer limits, I'd say +/- 15 years, so around 20-50 for me. Less than 20 would be rather uncomfortable, and more than 50 would be difficult to connect with.

Going +/- 10 would be challenging but not impossible, and I don't think I would even notice anything less +/-5. My partner is 6 years older than me: age became an issue a couple of times during our relationship, but day-by-day, it isn't even noticeable.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, deep down, guys are still people who sometimes want to be able to hold a conversation with someone around their own level of maturity.

9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

That's because you're trying to land a 45-year old sugar daddy. Your perspective's all off. :devil:;)

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really?! That's what in there "deep down"?

And here I thought they were stuffed with beer and pretzels.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The emotions lie beyond the pretzels.

12. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I chose +/-10 years. Hubby is 6 years younger than me, so -5 wasn't an option!

I have to agree with what everyone has been saying, that dating range is fluid depending upon the individual personalties involved. As long as people have common interests and are compatible that is all that really matters.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Besides, it really depends on how old you are when you start. Somebody 10 years younger than me isn't even legal! :lol:

14. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

Agreed. I also chose +/-5. My wife is 2 years older than I am, but then, we share a lot of interests and views on life. We even met through a common interest (medieval re-creation), and 20+ years later, we still have lots we like to talk to each other about (books, movies, things we're learning, hobbies) in addition to the usual day-to-day stuff.

Before I was married, I dated a woman who was about 4 years older than I was. (Honest, I didn't set out to date older women. Most of the time, it was women 1-2 years younger. But the outliers are interesting... ;) ) She constantly refered to the age difference, and thought I should just follow her lead in all things, due to her "greater experience". That got old very fast.

Yes, there are definitely times of life where physically/psychologically, people are usually in very different places than someone 10 years older/younger than they are. In the middle years, 10 years isn't as big a difference; but it can be in the late teens/early 20s or the later part of life (with more health concerns, for example).

I'm fairly meh on her pop music (that I've heard), but I did enjoy the duet she did with Tony Bennett. So I think she has an amazing voice, but I don't care for a lot of what she sings. Wait... does mentioning Tony Bennett make me an old fogey? :alienblush:

Star Wars seems to be an easy touchstone. We have a friend who was taken to it when she was a babe in arms. I went to see it as one of my first dates in high school. There are often times when she just doesn't get a reference that my wife or I make, that we have to circle back and explain. I can't imagine dating someone who didn't share most of the cultural milestones with me. (That "common ground" that auntiehill described so well above.)

15. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

mr trampledamage is five years older than me. I honestly haven't dated enough to have built a preference for an age range. We met at university where, pretty much, all that mattered was that you were a student - the actual age was irrelevant.

16. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

According to XKCD, the formula is:

(Your age)/2 + 7 = partner's lower bound.

The reciprocal would be:

((Your age) - 7) * 2 = partner's upper bound.

Works for all ages 14+. Indirectly, that essentially means that you shouldn't start dating until you are 14, as well.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I need a much narrower field than that gives me.

18. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

:lol: Oh, absolutely! Hubby loves to torment me with "Wow, when you were starting university I was 12!" My response is always...Ewwwwww!

19. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I'll go 10 years younger, and up to 15 years older. I'm more flexible on the older part. I'm 31, so I can't go much more than 10 years younger anyway. :lol:

When I started dating again, I was trying to go +/- 5 years. It wasn't until I opened up the range that I met my current girlfriend--who is 9 years younger. But we've been together for two years now, so we must be doing something right.

20. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I won't vote, because I'd date someone based on the level of their maturity, not digits. As long as I find them "compatible" with me, I don't care about numbers :)