DVD/Blu-Ray Coming November 17th

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Devon, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

The Wait Is Over !!!!

I,ve just arrived home from work and there it is STAR TREK the movie on blu ray in my hands as we speak, WOW

Monday as come early livin in the UK is not that bad. Anyway no time to talk goin 2 watch the film on blu ray YIPPPPPEEEEEE !!!:drool::drool::techman:

2. Bluesteel

Bluesteel Commander Red Shirt

Re: The Wait Is Over !!!!

Funnily enough. I've had that film in my HDD for a while now and I decided to delete it. I wanted more space for Naruto.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Re: The Wait Is Over !!!!

I'm happy for you, really I am, but we must have half a dozen active threads relating to the DVD/BD release already. I'll merge this with one of them -- won't take but a moment...

4. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

We've had ads on evening television Down Under for the past few weeks, but they started about the time the DVDs arrived on shop shelves.

Free video mags have had ST as the cover story, and variety store catalogues have featured the movie artwork prominently. eg, ads for monitor screens have scenes from the movie.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Why was this movie available in stores in other countries before the US? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Not that we, necessairly, should've gotten in first (even though it's an American movie made by an American studio based on an American TV series) but why in other countries first instead of here first, or everywhere pretty much at the same time?

7. Therin of Andor

Why was the movie itself premiered in Sydney?

Having waves of releases causes ripples of excitement around the world, heightening the interest and the impatience. (Just read some of the whiny posts from people who have to wait it out.)

Releasing the DVD simultaneously all over the world will get you a different kind of publicity explosion, but a real bomb if the film flops. Even worse if a film is released early to lacklustre reviews somewhere; the rest of the world knows it's safe to ignore it.

There are many strategies for marketing a movie and Paramount has got something working with this one. A lot of research goes into this stuff. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

8. Trekker4747

Yes... For the release of the movie itself. But the DVD? When fanboys are going to rush out and buy it the nanosecond the doors are unlocked? What hype is there to build?

9. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That IMO was and is weird: when I first read we were getting it 29/10 (Aus) I thought it was a misprint for 29/11 or summat...

then there it was in the shops 26/10!

The first time in recorded history we got a US film released here first, which was nice but really weird. :wtf:

11. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

Well, reading through this thread, it seems that the US is expecting the DVD release on Tuesday. Is that normal in the US? In Britain, DVDs are nearly always released on a Monday, so we're going to get it a day sooner. That's just the way it is. (OK, so I got mine yesterday, but that's internet retail for you.)

12. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Not sure why, but could have do with Transformers 2 DVD release. T2 was released Oct 28 there in the USA, where as it was here on the 5th November. Not sure about Europe.

But with Trek XI, it will be released there on Tuesday, which is around 3 weeks later than T2 was released. As both are the property of Paramount, it wouldn't make sense to have both movies released at the same time. Well that is what I think.

13. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Tuesday is the traditional release day in the US and Canada for DVDs/BDs.

14. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

So, you guys had to wait with us. At least somebody did. :lol:

15. Trekker4747

Tuesday is traditional release-date for movies on DVD in the US, but some countries got the Trex-XI DVDs a full week or more before the US.

16. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's out in Ireland already as well. Thank you Xtravision!!

Watching it with commentary right now. Lovin' it!!

17. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Was in Best Buy tonight for unrelated reasons, and at one point all 80 million large screen televisions had something playing from the behind the scenes stuff on Star Trek. I was surrounded by 80 million very large Chris Pines! Aside from needing to breathe into a paper bag, i got to see some of the interview with him and some of the awesome special effects behind the scenes stuff. The little bit i saw looked INCREDIBLE!!!!!

IS IT TUESDAY YET????????? I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!

**edit OH GAWD! just looked at the list of midnight Best Buy stores and mine is on it! I see a road trip Monday night at midnight for me!

18. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And CDs as well!

I personally would have all of those come out on Friday after payday but that's just me. :lol:

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Tuesday is otherwise the slowest retail day of the week, so it is done to draw in business.

20. Therin of Andor

It's working perfectly. People aren't content to let it sit on shelves to perhaps pick up cheaply in the after-Christmas sales. They want it yesterday. Rabid fanboys are a tiny sector of the more relaxed demographic this film is aimed at.

See?