Calling Browncoats! Name the ISS "Serenity!"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by AJBryant, Feb 24, 2009.

1. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hello all browncoats and fans of Serenity/Firefly.

Nasa has apparantly gotten another module of the Internation Space Station connected (it includes some hardware I touched the design of years ago and a friend worked on right up to the end) and they are looking to name the module. 'Serenity' is by far the leading name. Please help us remind FOX-studios of how amazingly short-sighted they were with the cancelation of Firefly. Go and cast a vote for your favorite module name.

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/name_ISS/index.html

Help us to name another important addition to the station - Node 3 and its cupola!
    Vote using the poll on the right.

Voting will be open until March 20th, 2009. NASA will announce the winning name in April 2009.

NASA wants your opinion in naming the International Space Station’s Node 3 – a connecting module and its cupola – before the two segments travel to space and are installed on the orbiting laboratory. The name should reflect the spirit of exploration and cooperation embodied by the space station, and follow in the tradition set by Node 1- Unity- and Node 2- Harmony.

Space shuttle Endeavour will deliver the Node 3 components during the STS-130 mission targeted for December 2009. Once the cupola is attached to one of the module’s six ports, it will offer astronauts a spectacular view of both their home planet and their home in space. The cupola’s six rectangular windows and one circular window overhead will show a panoramic view that will be unrivaled by any other spacecraft ever flown. Aside from providing a perfect location to observe and photograph the Earth, the cupola also will contain a robotics workstation, where astronauts will be able to control the station’s giant robotic arm.

Node 3 will connect to the port side of the Unity Node and will provide room for many of the station’s life support systems, in the form of eight refrigerator-sized racks. After Node 3 is installed, the station’s crew will transfer over many of the Environmental Control and Life Support Systems (ECLSS) currently stored in various places around the station, including:

*Oxygen Generation System (OGS), which takes the station’s water and splits it apart into hydrogen, which gets vented into space, and oxygen, which is returned into the cabin for the crew to breathe

*Atmosphere Revitalization System (ARS), which controls the station’s carbon dioxide levels and maintains the temperature and atmospheric pressure at comfortable levels

*Water Recovery System (WRS) and Urine Processor Assembly (UPA), which take waste water from the station’s shower and toilets and purify it, separating any contaminants and making it safe for the crew to drink

*Waste and hygiene compartment, which provides a place for the crew to shower and use the bathroom in a way that allows the station to process the majority of the water used onboard so that it may be used again, greatly lessening the need for resupply flights from Earth.

NASA and its station partners traditionally have named each habitable part of the station, including its three laboratories (the U.S lab- Destiny, the European lab- Columbus, and the Japanese lab- Kibo or Hope), two airlocks (Quest and Pirs or Pier), and two Russian-built modules (Zvezda or Star, and Zarya or Dawn).

2. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Is there an option to name it TREK BBS and the waste-recovery MISC?

"Where are you going?"
    "To post something in Misc."
    "Right, be sure to flush this time."

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Stupid Firefly fans. Now the name won't apply to the first ship to Mars cos it's been taken.

4. anais

anais Captain Captain

What's wrong with Node 3? I like it :(

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a topic more suited for SF&F I think, given that you're specifically targetting Firefly fans.

A general topic on this competition would have been Misc I think. If the SF&F mods disagree, feel free to bounce it back.

6. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

It would seem rather out of place compared to the other sections of the ISS, wouldn't it?

- Zarya
    - Unity
    - Destiny
    - Node 3

:wtf:

7. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

How about Saffron?

8. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

It'd have to bee separated into two rather spherical sections.

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ :D

I voted for Serenity, and it's way ahead of the other choices. :bolian:

10. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted Serenity. Pity there's no place to vote to rename the whole I.S.S. to Starbase One.

Anyone else think it is a bad omen that our first permanent multi-national presence in space is I.S.S. ? If we cooperate on a ship, will it be the International Space Ship Intrepid (or whatever)? ;)

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

They should name it "Batman".

12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I say you guys should get it named The Whedonverse; it's certainly small enough. ;)

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Oh, snap!

14. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

What about Deep Space Nine?

15. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Maybe we can still get a connecting section named the YoSaff Bridge ;)

16. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Dear god. What have you done?:lol:

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I voted, it said Serenity was as 81%.

18. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*strums guitar*

You can't take the connecting section w/ attached cupola from me...

19. Autobot

Autobot Captain Captain

Voted!

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Same here.

I only recently discovered Firefly but I have to say I am damn fond of it now. I'd love to see another movie.