Writing Challenge - Winter 2014 - Lives of the 'Little People'

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Bry_Sinclair, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Before you ask, no, this isn’t an Ithinite Challenge :)

Thanks to all those who took the time to read my Challenge story (and all the others that have spun off from it). Now, I have the daunting task of putting forward an idea for the Winter Challenge.

I have an idea that I hope some may like and be able to fully explore. This season, there a couple of restrictions:
    1. Your work focus on canon character(s) (any of TV series’, including TAS, and all movies are open though, any universe is also open)
    2. The focus character(s) cannot be main ones (by that I mean any who are listed in the title sequence at the beginning of each episode—in the case of TOS, that applies to Scotty, Sulu, Uhura and Chekov as well).

You are free to use any recurring character, guest appearance, or named background extra (Ayala would be acceptable but not Redshirt #3 from “The Devil In The Dark”). Look at their past and how they came to be onboard a ‘hero ship’ (for example, how did Leeta make it through the Occupation). Or their perspective on an episode they appeared in (for example, how Khan came to remember the face of Pavel Chekov in “Space Seed”) or what they were up to during the events of another episode (for example, what was Ensign Rager up to in “Realm of Fear”). Or what they went on to do after we last saw them (for example, did Naomi Wildman even enter Starfleet and make Captain?).

So long as the focus is on a canon non-main character and their life, then the sky is the limit, do with them as you please.

Rules:
    Word limit: 10,000
    Original works only, they can’t have been posted elsewhere before being submitted here
    Post entire story once it is completed
    Closing date for entries: 1100 GMT, Wednesday 28th January, 2015
    Voting: From 1200 GMT Wednesday 28th January to 2359 GMT Saturday 31st January, 2015

I hope you enjoy!

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Cool idea! I have one question, however. As you've said that the main character cannot be anyone who's name appears in the main title credits, does this stipulation also apply to the films, as there are several characters who appeared in only one film, leaving much of their backstory (as far as canon is concerned) a mystery. Thanks!

--Sran

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Hadn't considered that...hmm...

Since the Trek films have all been based around a main crew (TOS and TNG) all those characters are off-limits, however anyone else is fair game. So feel free to use Decker, Saavik, Gillian Taylor, Captain Harriman, Lily Sloane or anyone else from the movies.

I hope that clears it up.

Any more questions, please get in touch either here or by PM.