Vintage Albums, LPs, Records

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Stompy

Stompy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's actually 46 not including reissues

2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I was just going to chime in with the same thought, I remember when TMP came out that PEOPLE magazine or some other glossy weekly had an Arrow shirt ad with those two at Vasquez that had us all cracking up at the time.

But it's fun to imagine MUSKRAT LOVE somehow being even worse than the original version. "Muskrat's dead, Jim."

3. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, well, by that standard, the Beatles recorded 117 albums if you consult this webpage, or even more depending on how exhaustive a list you want to hunt up.

4. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I program my CD player to stop half way through Kind of Blue and Miles Ahead. Turning the record over and the first cut of side 2 is a new beginning, and Act II. And NO playing bonus tracks after the album-as-intended: SO anticlimactic and disrespectful to the artists/producers who labored on these treasures. YMMV.

5. BoredShipCapt'n

I'm not a huge Tom Petty fan, but I appreciated that he did this:
    [yt]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf5XgkG0JfI[/yt]

6. plynch

:bolian:

7. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

At least she could sing and sing well, unlike the other two, and had a contract with Epic.

8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, coming acorss that ripped a stich or two!

9. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Hey I used to love putting words to instrumental tv themes.

If you've got the time to spare, find the opening credits to TJ HOOKER and try singing the following along with it.

It's the TJ HOO-KER Theme.
    It's the TJ HOO-KER Theme.
    TJ HOO-OOH-KER
    TJ HOOKER Theme.

(repeat as needed, or until other parties fall unconscious)

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

They can't be any worse than that "official" lyrics Roddenberry wrote for Star Trek, or those for the Bonanza or I Dream of Jeannie themes:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"Star Wars, made me a fortune, Paid off the mortgage, bought me a car..."
    http://youtu.be/kYBgNICggH0

12. BoredShipCapt'n

Is it weird that I sort of like the Jeannie theme with the lyrics?

Even weirder is that the automatic ad generator on YouTube seems to think it's by Duke Ellington.

13. Maurice

The problem isn't that the Jeannie theme has lyrics, but that the lyrics are lame: "sunshine on every rafter". really? The ones to Bewitched are much better.

Actually all of those examples are better than the drivel Roddenberry penned.

14. plynch

The lyrics remind me of "Everyone knows it's Windy." Love that Lounge style though.

The way Bonanza is sung below sounds like how a bunch of guys really would sing (in a culture in which people sing i.e. not ours).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qpUd9KecPa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Maurice

^^^You need to use the [ yt ] [ /yt ] (minus spaces) codes with the default URL [EDIT: when the board software changed the method discussed herein changed] and not the "embed" code, in order for them to appear on this board:

I should note that there were multiple sets of lyrics for the Bonanza theme. The first were in the clip from the pilot (video above). Next came these (link) by Jay Livingston and Ray Evans. The version Johnny Cash recorded were different (possibly to avoid paying royalties), and others.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  16. plynch

I always sing "Dum diddy dum diddy diddy diddy dum boNANZA." And of course the kids and I sing that dude on YouTube's Voyager lyrics. Anybody else have faux lyrics or syllables to themes?

17. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (the show with Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain) had a triumphant theme by Jay Gruska. I'm pretty sure Gruska came up with the melody by setting the title words to music. Meaning, my lyrics might not even be "faux," but the actual words never heard by the public:

Lois and Clark, Superman.
    Lois and Clark, Lois and Superman.
    Lois and Clark, Lois and Superman.
    Lois and CLAARRK!

18. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

I recall a TOS record from the mid-70's, maybe circa 1975. It was more of a fan oriented behind the curtain sort of format...and I recall Shat talking about perceived on-set jealousy between he and Nimoy....and as Shat put it....they were like siblings squabbling and that behind it there was professionalism and love. Lol!

I also recall this album featuring some classic TOS sound effects and the like.....but mostly it all came off as sort of thrown together and nothing of any true depth, despite the fact that when I heard it I was barely 10 years-old.

Does this record/album sound familiar to anybody?

Or is this a warped memory of a pixie stick-fueled dream from yesteryear?

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

20. BoredShipCapt'n

As is Vogon poetry.