what's next for Marvel (movies)?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, May 6, 2012.

1. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Avi needs to STFU and let his creators do their jobs. As a potential customer, I'm getting sick of his meddling in projects I'd like to see.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Was Avi the reason why Venom was shoved into Spider-Man 3?

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ The sole reason.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Terry Crews, who has among the least cred for this, actually got Snipes role. His role was made for Snipes but Snipes was in court, under house arrest when the first EX was filming and was considered a flight risk(?) so the judge wouldn't let him out country to film.

And as Admiral Young said, a WWE and MMA person are in the movie which means Snipes has loads of cred for Expendables.

5. Admiral_Young

Crews was actually the fourth person who Stallone courted for the role of Hale. As Captain Craig correctly states it was written and offered to Snipes, the it was re-written for Forrest Witaker who had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts, then 50 Cent who I think accepted, but then also later had to drop out due to scheduling...and finally Crews.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does he have some kind of issues with the character or something?

7. Admiral_Young

I don't think it's an issue with the character, as much as it is Avi forcing his own "cool" ideas. Like I've mentioned in the "Spider-Man" thread...I'm curious to know if he imposed as much interference on Webb's production as he did during the Rami films.

8. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Avi wanted Venom because he "sells", period.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The main problem with Venom is that he was treated like a secondary character. That movie did not need two villains.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The villain in Demolition Man, Passenger 57, Rising Sun, US Marshals, Drop Zone, countless direct to DVD movies. He's certainly a step up from Jean-Claude Van Damme, who Sly also asked to be in The Expendables.

Anyway, why would you exclude Blade? You wouldn't exclude Conan from Arnie's CV, or Sin City from Bruce's?

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Snipes doesn't rank with Schwarzenegger, Stallone and Willis, but he ranks above Van Damme, Seagal and Lundgren.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Which is kind of a silly reason to force him into SM3. After Spider-Man 2, the third movie was going to sell no matter what.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Actually it had THREE villains if you count Sandman, Harry, and Venom. One of the big problems I had with the movie was how overcrowded it was.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't get the flying snowboard.

Was Harry secretly a genius, or did Norman make it for Harry, or make it for himself because Norman Osborn is all about flying snowboards?

3 was just a mess.

And then when they said in 3 that they were celebrating the one year anniversary of Ben's death?

So let me understand this?

There's 3, but 12 months earlier Peter was half way through his final year in highschool?

Bring it On was more thought out.

15. Admiral_Young

Avi pushed for Venom so far because he thought he was the cool villain that we fans all wanted to see. He was right. We just didn't want to see HIS version of Venom.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's sad that the Spider-Man cartoon from the 90s did the Venom story so much better with the shuttle and Jameson's son. They did the whole saga with three episodes. That was just a little over an hour!

17. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I would tend to agree. It was silly. But Avi was only thinking of adding to the draw by forcing a big "name" villain on Rami. Conversely, he did not want Rami to use any variation on the Vulture because he/she is not a "name" villain with recognition outside the S-M fan community.

It was either a prototype or follow-on the the Glider.

If 1 was set half-way through Peter's senior year, then 3 would have been about at the half-way mark of his Freshman year of college.

So there's no contradiction.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yet, Avi allowed Raimi to use Sandman who wasn't that much more popular? I know that the Harry plot had to be there since it had been building up since the first movie, but getting rid of Sandman or Venom from the script would have greatly helped make Spider-Man 3 better.

19. Admiral_Young

We did get a couple of Fox animated series homages...such as the scene where Peter first wakes up with the costume on upside down...that was perfect! I wrote a partial fan treatment for Spider-Man 3 using the John Jameson arc. It was more like a prologue to the film to explain where the symbiont came from and to extend John's character arc after "Spider-Man 2".

Personally I would have focused heavily on the Harry plot and have made him Hobgoblin :) Venom was a natural villain to use and we all wanted to see him, just not what Avi's vision was for the character which was basically a bad mesh of Ultimate Venom and 616 Venom.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The cartoon did such a good job by adding Jameson's son into the Venom three parter. I thought Raimi was setting up the character in Spider-Man 2 to use him along with Venom in Spider-Man 3. Imagine my disappointment when the Venom symbiote just randomly appeared from a fallen meteorite from space instead of coming from a crashed space shuttle like in the cartoon. Lame!:rommie: