Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

From what I've read, "Alpha" Nick will be appearing in Defenders and Winter Soldier as an independent agent separate from SHIELD proper. While Marcus Johnson will be working with SHIELD.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh, batman comic did the same thing in the 1990s for the Burton films for the most part.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    No, it didn't.
    If you mean going from the Blue/Gray to all Black attired outfit that is not the same thing as what is going on with Nick Fury.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot to post the Bleeding Cool article about the Marcus Johnston stuff, Here it is:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/24/marvel-comics-makes-agent-coulson-part-of/

TurtleTrekker mentioned what is going on with Nick right now...post AVX though things might change. *Shrugs*. I really don't care either way. I didn't pick up Battle Scars but not willing to write off this Johnston character yet. Will make my opinion known after he starts appearing and interacting with the rest of the Marvel U.

Most important thing though: Agent Coulson is in 616! WOOT! It was really only a matter of time.

5. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

Any opinions on the Captain America: Reborn series? If it's up to the Winter Soldier standard, I'll grab the trade paperback.

6. Turtletrekker

I would read the 3-part "The Death of Captain America" before jumping into "Reborn".

7. DAYoung

Thanks, TT. For continuity reasons, or just because it's awesome?

8. Turtletrekker

Yes. :cool:

IMHO, Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America peaked during this era and "Reborn" will make much more sense if you've read TDoCA first. Actually, "Reborn", while being the culmination of most of Brubaker's plot threads to that point, isn't his best work on the run.

9. DAYoung

Right ho. Thank you.

What I'll do is download the first issue of the 'Death of...' series for my phone, and see how it reads. If it's cool, I'll pick up the full paperback.

10. Admiral_Young

Agreed about Brubaker's "Captain America" run. I basically haven't read anything since "Reborn" lol.

11. DAYoung

Just ordered The Death of Captain America, Volume 1.

Thanks, all.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I really liked the Brubaker run up to "Reborn", but after that it was completely forgettable. I liked "Reborn", I thought it was a proper huge finale to the story.

13. Captain Craig

Brubaker Cap imo is like JMS Thor, both helped to really give the characters new life and vitality in the mid '00s.

14. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed...I was into Fraction's Iron Man too but have not read that in a good long while now.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Fraction's IM peaked and sputtered out after Stark Disassembled.

The same for Bru after Reborn, but the new volume with the Hydra Queen shows some signs of promise.

Bendis's NA after the first volume of NA and the end of DA.

JMS's Thor never peaked since he got kicked off. And the buildup with Loki's plan for domination never materialized.

Ultimates this week was pretty interesting.

Obama and Congress just got nuked by Reed Richards

Read Captain America 1-50 and then read Reborn.

16. Turtletrekker

Captain America 10-- The end of the "Powerless" arc. The story might have read better if it weren't such an old idea. The Alan Davis art is top-notch as always. I noticed in the latest "Previews" that Cullen Bunn will be co-writing this title with Brubaker in the near future. Is Bru on the way out?

FF 17-- My pick of the week. Not a sign of any of the kids as this issue focuses on Johnny and Peter being roommates. Hillarity ensues as Johnny installs a portal to the Negative Zone in Pete's closet, calls him at work during a presentation on the FF emergeny line tio ask him to bring home grocerys, throws wild parties at Petes apt, and the final straw, to which even Johnny agrees that its time for him to go, Annihilus using Pete's bathroom. :lol:

Daredevil 11- The conclusion to the Omega Effect arc doesn't really conclude anything as the status quo of the Omega drive and Mega-crime remained unchanged. The crossover was a lot of fun, but I was expecting more of an impact on the on-going story than we got.

New Avengers 25-- Meh. A lot of exposition trying to ret-con the Phoenix Force and K'un L'un together. Hopefully this will pick up next issue.

Secret Avengers 26-- Follows the space team as it goes after the Phoenix. Didn't really care for the art and the story didn't grab me.

Uncanny X-Men 11-- The first home-run of AvX. A solid story that spans from the end of AvX 1 through the end of AvX 2, and is better than both.

I thumbed through AvX vs #1 and Battle Scars 6, but put them both back on the rack. "VS" just didn't have any weight to it, and despite the coolness of Coulson coming to the 616, the cheesiness of the Marcus Johnson charac-- excuse me-- the "Nick Fury jr." character was just too much to handle.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

They also remodeled Gotham City to look more like the Burton version which was kind of major what with the leveling of entire buildings being involved, and then they leveled the city in 2000 or so and replaced the design with a more modern city look just in time for the Nolan films.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really. The redesign of Gotham was ~2001-2002. The Nolan movies came out in 2005!

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

agree with you about both issues. FF had me cracking up. and while i enjoyed the Omega Effect crossover i guess i too was expecting something...more. ah well.

20. Captain Craig

I read my Marvel books last night.

Moon Knight #12 - *last issue* Moon Knight and Count Nefaria have their final showdown but it's brief as MK is only buying time for The Avengers to showup where Thor delivers a knock out blow to Nefarai. I was somewhat expecting for a reversal on Echo but she remains dead. Guess her resurrection will come during some other event. I mean if Scott Lang and Puck are back after stints with death you just know Echo will be back as well at some point.
    So what I'm wondering then upon the conclusion of this MK series is if it was itself just one big prequel event. The whole issue kept harping on an impending, unknown apocalyptic type, humanity ending event with Ultron that is coming, it's just unknown. The last words in the issue: Moon Knight will return in The Age of Ultron
    Sounds like an "event" to me, mini or otherwise.

Daredevil #11 - so, yeah I agree basically with what's been said on this issue. Fun as it was it was a 'non-event' as the status quo remains. The Omega Drive is still out there, with Cole-Alves, and no real answers given. Not even false leads really. The one comment I'll make I don't recall seeing by other posters on the issue was DD's defense of what it takes to have "drive" to do the type job they do. I liked how Waid drove the point home that many a cop, firefighter, military or other type service member doesn't need or use the loss of a loved one to fuel their drive for justice. It was especially poignant in that Cole herself is ex-Marine and should've seen the error of her statement to DD in the regard for 'drive'.
    Seeing as how Cole now has the Omega Drive, is seemingly untraceable (I'd guess Frank has an idea of her location most likely) and DD seems to have foreshadowed she has a 'talent for this type of heroics' I'm curious to know what capacity we see Cole in next.