"The Star Wars" Comic Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tulin, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

The Cantwell Y-Wings are almost certainly gonna show up later in the narrative, as the aforementioned 'rebel' starfighters with the turrets. (The X-Wings didn't start to take shape until much further in the film's development, so I'm not expecting to see them.) The Aquilean starfighters, I'm pretty sure, are based on the early concept art for the Naboo N-1 fighter (at one point in TPM's development, Padme was going to be young Anakin's wingman - so to speak - in the final space battle).

2. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I'm sure that's right. That's one thing I'm not crazy about: the PT design influences that crop up. I would be happier if everything was based on Ralph McQuarrie and pre-1977 design work. But that's my old-timer perspective, and I can see why they've done it that way.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

When Natalie Portman is your wingman, you're doing it wrong.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

This comic series is really fascinating to see such a vastly different take on New Hope. In a lot of ways it's a lot bigger and epic than what we got. Very interesting.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Maybe for the 100th (2077) our grandkids might see that filmed

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kinda love the fact that General Skywalker is a burly George Lucas.

7. Janus VI

Janus VI Captain Captain

Issue 3 is available.

This issue felt like it had more elements from TPM with a few moments of ANH in the mix.

I found it a bit strange that R2-D2 or rather Artwo Detwo as he is called here had so much dialogue, actually that he had any dialogue at all beyond his usual blips and beeps was strange. Most of what Artwo was saying to See Threepio was recycled lines from movie C-3PO that I couldn't help but imagine Anthony Daniels staring in a mirror having a catty conversation with himself. I did chuckle at See Threepio's super strength.

I have to wonder whats up with Vader he seemed to be a bit distant in those few panels by himself. I almost got the impression that he isn't really into the war with Aquilae or he's planning something on his own. As soon as Prince Valorum interrupted his alone time it was back to Vader being the loyal Henchman.

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

This reminds me a lot of WWII serials--understandably.

I'm actually reminded of Don Winslow of the Navy--as odd as that sounds.