arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Hugs to all the ranters!

TSQ, I'm sure I'll be showing up with one of my own medical-issues rants soon. People can be so ignorant!

Ooh, I'm going to use that line!

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hubby got diagnosed diabetic recently. When he lost 10 pounds, his stupid number went up by 10! Yeah, he can improve his diet and exercise. And me with all my health issues, my number stays under 90. Genetics plays a big part--diabetes runs in his family, not mine, yet his family lives to their 80s and even 90s.

3. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Type 2, I'm guessing? I wish people would specify.

A 10 point raise in blood sugar level as measured in mg/dl the (US), and not mmol/L (A1C and the rest of the world), is just as likely to be variance in the meter as it is in the actual blood sugar level. A 10 point raise in mmol/L would be very unlikely and mean certain hospitalization or death. 10 points variance in mg/dl is normal in healthy people, I wouldn't think much of it.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Free hugs for anyone who needs one!

And if you act now, you get the second one absolutely free!

5. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I told my religious friend about my Grandpa dying this past Monday, one of the first things he said was "is he going to heaven?"

I keep my atheism pretty quiet, mostly for job security. I also know for a fact that my Grandpa got kicked out of his Bible study group because he was trolling the Young Earth Creationist in the group, and that he didn't believe a word of the Bible. So, what, are you going to tell me he's going to hell? Because reading between the lines, that's what I got out of "is he going to heaven?"

6. thestrangequark

^Ugh. I'm sorry, mimic, I've experienced that kind of stuff too.

7. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

First, hugs to ya'll.

And now, a rant. Sort of.

Depression. No, I just can't make myself feel better. Yes, there are things I can do to make it better long term, but no I can not just flick it like a light switch. It does not. Work that way. Some people just can not understand that if you are someone with long term depression, in my case most of my life, it is not an easy thing to break out of. You hate it, but you depend on it. You want out, but you're so scared of the outside. Combined with some serious trust issues and Aspergers and you get the lovely added effects of not being quite sure who to trust since you just can't tell which smiles are fake or not.

Granted, over the last few years this has become a lot better and it has gotten easier. But it took me getting so low that I made the choice to kill myself to get my ass to the doctor and get some antidepressants. Which have made a hell of a difference.

Right. There.

Slightly more silly rant now.

To the old weird dude with the shitty Ford Mondeo wagon: No, we still only have one dog, the other one has not magically resurrected (thank you for bringing the pain up again btw). No, I really can not be as surprised as you are that they are doing work on the building when they only sent out a mass message, TWICE, calling people to a meeting about it. And no, you can not expect me to like your junk car as much as you do. It is not that cool. Or rustfree. But mostly, seize this stopping your car in the street where people drive and try to talk to when I get home from work and just want to get in the shower.

And no, he is not senile, he's just clueless.

8. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

My first exposure to diabetes was Stacey from the Babysitters Club hiding it from her friends and ending up in the hospital because she doesn't manage it properly. I remember feeling so bad for her and thinking it was sad that in real life kids would have to deal with something like that. So, when people talk about diabetes, I don't think of weight issues, I think of poor Stacey having to inject herself for something that was out of her control!

I guess reading all of those Babysitters Club books turned out to be useful in the end. Still searching for a way to use the knowledge gained from Goosebumps...don't wear Halloween masks that meld to your face? Don't become a ventriloquist?

9. Tora Ziyal

My condolences, Mimic.

[rant]People like your friend make me feel embarrassed to be religious sometimes. No Christian should ever presume to know who is or isn't going to heaven (whatever the heck heaven even is). And if they insist on being that presumptuous, they should at least have the common decency to keep their mouth shut! Your friend was displaying lousy theology and gross insensitivity.[/rant]

10. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This one bugs me..

# is a pound sign, Not "hashtag", :mad: :brickwall: :lol:

11. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Mimic, I'm an atheist myself. I usually tell religious people I'm neither going to hell nor heaven. I'll simply stay on Earth as it's a nice place. I'll gradually dissolve and my molecules and atoms will be inserted into lots of future myriopods, ants, earthworms, flowers, weeds, the birds and rabbits who eat them, the people who eat those and so on. Some distant descendent of you might have a few of my atoms. I might have a few atoms from some nameless caveman. Maybe even some from a comet or the sun. Or from Jesus (if he ever existed, which still has to be proven by archeologists. So far all we have are stories and legends and not a single official document).
    No matter what your religion, your matter will live :)

12. thestrangequark

^I once had a nurse (again, wtf is it with me getting shitty nurses?) tell me to eat grapefruit and pray to Mary to help my diabetes and depression. I awkwardly said, "I'm not religious," to which she looked at me piteously and replied, "No wonder you're having such a hard time."

13. Tora Ziyal

^ Grapefruit for depression? Gee, I'll have to try that. ;) TSQ, you do seem to get bizarre nurses. I get the ones who self-disclose way too much. Well, at least one recent one. I did not want to know what her Vitamin D level was or that she was also dx'd with PTSD (and why!).

14. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Wow. Did you complain to her boss? I would have. That's offensive.

15. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

I always thought it was "Number" and that £ was "pound"... butyou learn something every day!

16. thestrangequark

I should have, but I was too messed up at the time to bother.
    I always think of it as sharp.

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

A friend has a bumper sticker to that effect.

18. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

I now have to take 5 months or 1 semester off from college because at first they offered 1 class I needed but not the other. I just need 2 classes and then I get my diploma; then I can get Hope scholarship for my degree. At first they offered a welding class but not climate control, I need the climate control and I also need welding. But when they finally decided to have climate control for spring semester it was at the same time as welding. The only other elective I can have is Bio-fuels but they canceled that class so they could fit in Climate Control. So basically I am now stuck at home for 5 months; I could have graduated by 2014 but no now its 2015. Eventually I would like to get a life going.

19. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Yes, # is a number sign. Who the hell changed it, anyway?

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The closest thing I have to a rant is against people who hold irrational grudges (yeah, I know, as if there's any other kind :p ). Those who go out of their way to insult a specific person they hate, and get on that person's back for the slightest misdeed or mispost yet let everyone else get away with far worse things...that really pisses me off. Especially when the person with the grudge has authority and uses it as a battering ram/bully pulpit which can't be ignored.