TNG Reboot or Original Cast Comeback? What would you perfer?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by darkshadow0001, May 29, 2013.

1. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Moviepilot.com on Facebook as been heavily discussing a TNG reboot already, and I'm like why, I would much rather see the original actors come back and do a few more films. I never thought the TNG films were all that bad... I think what hurt them the most is they didn't have Shatner & the crew in them and that's why Abrams created this new timeline. But if Star Trek is going to be nothing but reboots from now on, it's going to be nothing but movie bucks and not a good story line. A TOS reboot I can understand, Trek was hurting, and it was a way to bring the franchise back. I liked the new film, despite some of the critism it's getting. This Star Trek isn't supposed to be like the others anyway... but like I said, if they just keep rebooting everthing, I think Trek will loose it's core. What do you think? (as in original cast I mean the TNG original cast)

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd rather see something original instead of just reusing the old ideas, giving them a slightly different face(literally in the case of new actors), and selling them again. I personally think reboots are becoming way to common place in the entertainment industry... but from a profit standpoint... people do keep paying for the same product again and again.

But if you have to resort to something somewhat familiar, have Picard recast and do a Stargazer series.

3. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Neither. Let what is over be over. I want to see something new.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Neither one.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

That would be a tragic - a 75 year old Captain Picard, a balding fat Riker in a rug, An Android who would look like he is waiting for a prostate exam - I love TNG but I never understand the appeal of seeing actors who's time for a role has come and gone returning to spoil the memories.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I couldn't take a TNG reboot, I really couldn't. It's too recent and still stands up.

No, not under any circumstances.

I didn't like the TNG movies much though, best leave it alone...

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Reboot.

8. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    +1 on the reboot.

But not before we're done with the next 3 TOS movies and one 7-year series ... so not before 2024.

9. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Bringing the TNG cast back for more films is simply never, ever going to happen after what NEM pulled in. The bigwigs at Paramount probably consider such action equal to CBS renewing ENT for another three seasons on primetime network television as far as boldly unprofitable ideas are concerned, regardless of how things would actually go. (And honestly they'd probably be right.)

Definitely a reboot.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Reboot but it probablywon't happen. I think that they'll just reboot TOS over and over.

11. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah neither.

They need to do something new, a whole new series like TNG was to TOS. Set it in 2450 or something

12. RXTT

RXTT Lieutenant Red Shirt

It would be pointless to reboot TNG. The reason it works for TOS is that the characters became societal archetypes of a sort. Kirk, McCoy, Spock, etc. They were known to people who never venture near sci-fi anything. The TOS movies also showed the final arc of these character's lives, as we watched them get older, be promoted, and die.

TNG was more of a Trek lovers fave. to do a remake in movie form would be stupid. Even a remake on TV would suck.

13. RXTT

Yes, a new Trek series in the deep future would be awesome. It could deal with Wesley Crusher after he returned from traveling the multi-verse. He cold be just 35 years old, but the Earth has aged 200 years, due to his travels through time and space.
    That would be a cool show.

14. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

If I must choose than I go for a reboot, and I would mix in some DS9 and VOY characters too. But if I would have the power I would decide a series set between the new movies and TNG, like ENT-B or ENT-C era, not TNG. I think I would prefer Enterprise B era though with a nicely redone Excelsior class that fits the new alternate universe ...

15. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I agree that it wouldn't have the same impact at all if TNG were rebooted.

1701-D with DS9 for a home port. ;)

I'd watch that.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah... you lost me when you said a show centered on Wesley would be cool. ;)

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Why bother?

The TOS reboot has at least one more movie in it. Then there can be Enterprise B and C stories in the reboot storyline.

18. RXTT

HA! Come on! Where's the open-mindedness? What if the older Wesley Crusher was played by Zack Galifianakis???

19. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd have to go with the neither vote.

I want to see something original and not just a rehash of previously done episodes or films--thats just being lazy.

20. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Though not likely to happen, I think it would be kinda cool if John Cho got to be Captain Sulu a lot sooner. Have him take command of the Excelsior and go off on his own voyages. You could even have George Takei do a cameo in the pilot episode.