What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Finished Dan Simmons' Endymion yesterday, started with the new Atlan today.

Also, I ordered my first issue of The Shadow (the pulp novel reprint series, not the comic books). I've always been a fan of the character, but I've never read one of the novels before. Still got to wait till the end of April for its release (it's issue #71, "House of Silence" and "Spoils of the Shadow").

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Lost City of Z by David Grann

3. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Breezed through A Study in Scarlet, now onto The Sign of the Four.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I certainly hope he does. I truly enjoyed rereading "The Trouble with Tribbles" and frankly, it got me rearranging my bookshelf to bring some of the older non-fiction books up front. I am going to start skimming through them again to see if any others grab me. I don't know if I enjoyed it so much because of the topic or because it took me back in time for a while. Perhaps a bit of both.

Okay, David, start typing - just be careful of your font size.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Because of the recent debates and arguments over in the TNZ Troll thread, a few good online articles about the history of the Cold War and the NATO-Warsaw Pact showdown in Europe. I'm a history and politics geek so this kind of material goes down easy and I love it.

6. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading Article 5 by Kristen Simmons.

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    F.Scott Fitzgerald short stories. Very evocative (well, maybe for a Brit :)). Curious how Fitzgerald is regarded in US lit pantheon by book fans here.

8. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^He came up in conversation with one of my American friends the other day. She said she thought The Great Gatsby was overrated. I found that there's a collection of all his works available on Kindle for £1.29 I think so I'm going to download that.

I'm almost finished with The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes so I'll be moving onto The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes soon. Also finished Nausea today, so I'm either going to read The Epic of Gilgamesh or a James Dean biography too.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm currently reading the fading by christopher ransom, but even though I have other stuff waiting I think once I finish it I'm gonna dig out a James Herbert novel or two.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Oh, yes, The Great Gatsby is very overrated.

11. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Peanuts, on the other hand, is a classic. :mallory:

13. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

So, eight days ago I started Triggers by Robert J. Sawyer - and I finished it this afternoon. Very gripping, though I felt that the story just... stopped. Don't get me wrong - the ending made sense - but it just felt like there could have been another chapter or two.

I was on my way to a meeting for the convention I'm working on when I finished it, so I just put it away in my bag, pulled out The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff, and started that. I'm about 80 pages in so far. (It was a two-hour trip each way.)

I don't read a lot of fantasy apart from Jim Butcher and Terry Pratchett (I've read one Brandon Sanderson novel, one or two Charlaine Harris novels, and a small smattering of horror), but I'm enjoying this one so far. It's reminiscent of the Discworld novels that have Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax as their central characters - the plot involves a young woman who is one of a family of, for lack of a better word, witches. She inherits a junk shop in Calgary from her grandmother and, upon arriving to take it over, discovers that her grandmother's main clientele were the fey community. Also, yoyos are a big seller. (Tanya can be warped sometimes...)

14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    TV Guide. Yeah, I know. Aim high. But I have an acclaimed book on the Cold War nuclear standoff that I'm getting ready to begin and I wanted to start off with something fluffy and light.

15. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Recently finished John Sandford's Mad River. Pretty good.

Am about to start Dana Stabenow's Bad Blood. I've read and enjoyed most of her suspense novels. I understand she's written three science fiction books, too. Anyone read them?

16. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

"Star Trek TOS: Devil's Bargain" - Tony Daniel

17. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

At least i can see whatever his first name Batchan in an american movie soon.

18. SwimmingGnu

SwimmingGnu Lieutenant Red Shirt

Airships of Businessman Liljeroos by Arto Paasilinna

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: The Weight of Worlds

20. Stormdoodle

Stormdoodle Ensign Newbie

Mockingjay, after reading The Hunger Games and Catching Fire in the last week. Should be done with this one by the end of the Easter weekend.

Then I may start on 'A Song of Ice and Fire' again