New Non-fiction Star Trek book! Okuda's Onboard the USS Enterprise

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by RAMA, Dec 11, 2012.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't wanna knock it. But the Ent-D has had a LOT of coverage over the decades. From the Tech Manual to the CD-ROM of the Interactive Tech Manual (which also had a virtual tour of the ship), to various books and blueprints and deckplans, posters, illustrations, not to mention tons of outstanding fan work on the internet. A LOT of material.

Haven't we already seen all kinds of schematics, cutaways, and so on? What more can the Okudas bring to the table that we haven't already seen?

Like I said, I'm not knocking their efforts. I'd love to see more new original Ent-D stuff. I'll be first in line to buy it.

But I don't know if I need to see more plan/elevation views and cutaways that I've seen dozens of times in other materials.

3. Tom Riker

Tom Riker Lieutenant

A CD Rom? Really? What is this 1995?

4. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

I won't be able to run this, I'm still on windows 3.1.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Did it have to be the 'D' ? I hate that ugly ugly ship...

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not have something that does not require a broadband connection?

7. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

This being the literature board, do you think the Okudas might include some nod to the Litverse, e.g. the name of the captain's yacht or a mission reference from a novel?

Aside from that: Maybe a few years down the road, we'll get something covering the E? Would be nice but then they would have to include TrekLit because relying on a mere three movies does not fill a book. :vulcan:

8. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Meh. I have the D Blueprints and tech manual and I doubt anything in this will be better than or add much to those.

Make something like this on 1701-E, Voyager, Defiant, or NX-01 and I would buy.

9. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

If they did Voyager, I'd love to see the Litverse included, i.e. the QSD and the new saucer separation ability.

If they did the NX-01, of course there should be Drexler's NX1.5 refit! :bolian:

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll admit I had the same thought as a lot of seem to have had. If had been one of the other ships other than the E-D I would be a lot more interested.

11. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

The Refit Enterprise/A would also be great. Other than Mr Scott's guide there really was not much dedicated to that ship. In fact, of the ships in Trek, the D is the one with the most coverage. I suspect that's why it was chosen for this project. The okudas probably have the most background materials on that ship which makes this easier to produce.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want something on Ryan Church's nuEnterprise.

As for the -D, it's been done to death. But I can see why they're doing this, to capitaize on the TNG Bluray revival. Makes sense.

13. apoagathos

apoagathos Ensign Newbie

14. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Deck plans for every deck were created and published in the Ent-D blueprints about 15 years ago.

The fact that so much has been published on the D is why this book is pointless, not why they can/should write another one. There is nothing of consequence left to publish on that ship. If this is because of the blue-ray releases, make something on the E, the other ship the TNG crew uses. This is my problem with the trek reference works we've had in recent years, lack of anything, new, compelling, or inspiring. Just a bunch of repakaging of the same old stuff or little bits left out of previously researched books because they are of little interest.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I kind of wish this book was on the Enterprise-E...but I'll still pick it up. The CD-Rom thing is pretty funny though.

16. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

A CD-ROM?! Sweet! The future is here :rofl:

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They did those. The Enterprise-D blueprints, just after Generations came out.

18. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

If this sells well, maybe ROMs of the E-E and E-A?