The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I wish this film had a slower pace as well, but I think I'll have to go elsewhere for my deliberate, thoughtful, hard sci-fi fix...

Maybe I'm nuts, but STTMP was and is my favorite of the Star Trek films. The story wasn't top notch and not all the acting was convincing, but it was a beautiful movie. Everything seemed so big.

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Just got back from it and what can I say, it was amazing! The movie theatre was packed full; it looked like every seat was sold. It's nice to see Star Trek getting so much attention for once. There were even two fans wearing TOS uniforms! I would have never seen that coming.

Overall the reactions after the movie were positive. I overheard some conversations. One guy commented on the cast and how perfect he found it. And I have to agree, the whole cast was perfect. I can't think of any weak link there. Although, if I had to name someone I would say that I wasn't too impressed with Leonard Nimoy. I would have never thought that I'd say that, but somehow he just didn't feel like Spock. Maybe it was the new German voice they gave him (which was good, but it just wasn't Spock). I even found most of the dialog they gave him quite predictable and rather uninspired. I groaned at his 'volle Schubkraft' (I don't know what it was what he says in the original version; maybe 'full thrust' or something like that) in the scene where Kirk gets promoted to captain. I mean, what was that supposed to mean anyway?

One of may favorite characters from the original has always been Chekov. I just love the guy and Walter Koenig's performance. What I didn't see coming was that I would like the new Chekov just as much. Really, I just fell in love with this character all over again! I don't know about the original version, but the German dubbed version of his Russian accent was quite heavy and many people snickered in the theatre. But I liked him, because he seemed like an outsider and I think I can identify with that. In his first scene it even seems like Pike is making fun of Chekov. That made him really sympathetic to me. I really hope we see more of him in the sequel. Anton Yelchin was perfectly cast, really.

All the other characters were good, too, though. I loved Greenwood-as-Pike, no surprise there. The guy is just awesome. But I also liked Kirk, loved McCoy ('She got the whole planet!' :lol:), found Sulu and Uhura okay, laughed at Scotty and really liked Sarek ('I married her, because I loved her.') I did expect more from Nero, though. Others have said it already, his character just lacked a believable motivation. What I also found quite weird was the last scene of Nero, where Kirk asks him if they should beam them aboard the Enterprise. Nero says that he would rather watch his planet die hundreds of times over and over than coming aboard. I think that line really diminished the gravity of Nero's whole motivation to do all this in the first place. Even Bana's acting couldn't save that for me.

I have some minor problems with the whole plot, but nothing too jarring. I found the whole chain of events (Kirk getting dropped off at Delta Vega [seems like a rather unconventional penalization when they could have easily put him into the brig instead], coincidentally running into Ambassador Spock's cave, coincidentally meeting Scotty who coincidentally knows how to transport back to the Enterprise) rather far fetched. That was just all too convenient and therefore distracting. I also find it rather hard to swallow that Nero and his crew waited for 25 years doing nothing, really!

All in all I think the movie would have worked better without the whole time travel angle. I understand why they had to do that, but I think the movie would have had more time to focus on what they really wanted to tell if they left it out. And really, the movie could really work without it.

I know many people love them, but I found the usage of the classic Enterprise sound effects from TOS really distracting. I guess they thought it would be a nice homage, but I never thought they really worked well in unison with the new look of the ship. They just felt out of place. That's really a case where I wish they would have updated them even more.

And then there was this shameless homage to the Ceti Eel scene from The Wrath of Khan. Again, I really appreciated the idea of that, but the fact that it was almost a by the numbers copy of the original scene really troubled me. It's one instance where I felt they should have come up with something more original.

Things I loved without any constrictions are the score by Giacchino (wonderfully grand music; I'll definitely buy it) and the whole scene with the Kelvin. Boy was that an awesome scene! Everything was excellent there. I have never seen a battle in Star Trek that felt so heavy and intense. Every impact of the Narada's weapons let me grab the armrest even harder. And the music! Just epic. What I didn't quite get, though, was why they made it look like the Narada was letting go of the Kelvin's shuttles intentionally.

Oh, and the effects! Never has a Star Trek film looked better. I loved the establishing shot on the Kelvin. Wonderfully creative. Or the first time we see the Enterprise; that was simply beautiful! The new warp effect just blew me away! How can one not love that? And really, there wasn't a single distracting lens flare in that movie. The cinematography looked gorgeous! Very interesting choice of shots in some scenes. I like how close Abrams is getting on the actor's faces.

In the end I voted 'Above Average'. I won't lie. I loved it, really. But it wasn't an excellent film. At least not to me. However, I will see it a second time. And I hope I'll get a chance to see the original English version this time.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  3. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Oh, you get it exactly! That's what I mean; in TMP everything did seem big. There was an epic scale to space which I do not feel in contemporary action packed scifi films.

4. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Oh, and blatent Nokia promotion can go and get stuffed. You'd think in a few hundred years they'd have a better default ringtone.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  5. Sulu's Lover

Sulu's Lover Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Star Trek XI :Did anyone dislike this movie other than me? [Spoilers]

Allright,after years of hype,my opinion is that this movie just fell flat.

In an effort to bring Star Trek to a new audience , Mr.Abrams used every modern day filming technique and special effect that he possibly could . Fast pans,shakey camera,fast cuts,out of focus shots,etc. detracted from some key scenes.

Spock is now a highly emotional person that is carrying on an open affair with Uhura , that in my opinion was made to appear slutty. Kirk is a bit over the top and is made to look like an obnoxious street tough from some era gone by . Even Scotty was made to look a bit ditzy and did not carry the same dignity as the original.

In an effort to bring Lenord Nimoy into the film ,the Star Trek backstory is forever alltered through the never ending Star Trek standby story line, "Time Travel".

The new Enterprise Bridge looks like my old friends mothers Jewish boyfriends bachelor pad on the top floor of the Gloucester Apartment Building in Downtown Boston circa. 1977.

It was so pathetic, when in an effort to somehow tie in the old Star Trek with the new, the catchphases,Spock :"Illogical", and McCoy:" Im a doctor not a " caused the audience to break out in spontaneous applause . One of the only still shots in the movie , Spock crouching down next to Kirk , phasers in hands , was obviously made to look like the 1967 promo shot , many are familiar with . I am not buying it.

The saving grace of the movie ? Doctor McCoy .Will everyone love it? Of course . The average movie going audience has been force fed a steady diet of sub par films and this one is no different . All the special effects in the world does not a good movie make.

Rob Norberg

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Re: Star Trek XI :Did anyone dislike this movie other than me?

I have a feeling you're in the minority.

7. Lynn Minmay

Lynn Minmay Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No just you.

8. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Looking at your writing style, I immediately know I don't care to know your opinion. And there is a high chance of probability that I won't share it, whatever it is.

9. Michael

Spoilers below ...

Why the hell do you think that? Because she was one character having a solid relationship in the movie? You know, not like that Kirk dude who constantly whistles at every female throughout the whole movie. ;)

10. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Tell me about it.

Just got back from the theater. The plot and weight of the story was on the lighter side. A lot of contrivances. Hmmm.

Still. A fun ride nonetheless, but I can't help but feel a tinge of disappointment. It got off to one hell of a rollicking start, but somewhere... not quite sure where, it lost it's footing a bit.

I have high hopes for any sequel as we've now bought all the pieces together.

11. Sulu's Lover

Allrighty then.Perhaps you can write a review of what you liked about the movie and I will not dismiss it imediatly without reading it.

Rob

12. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I disliked aspects of it, but of the ones you list, only the cuts in the action sequences.

13. Michael

I think he's hinting at the lack of paragraphs in your post.

14. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I just got back and I'm overwhelmed. What a tremendous movie. It IS Star Trek, but not quite Trek as we've known it, which we knew was the case for some time now. I think in many ways, knowing as much about the movie as I did helped me to enjoy it, because I've had time to adjust to the idea of a reboot.

And if you're going to reboot Trek, then this most definitely is the way to do it.

The Missus and I are seeing it again tomorrow, as we had bought tickets three weeks ago for the showing on the 7th, then a pair of passes for tonight's sneak-peek feel into my lap unexpectedly. So I think I'll reserve the bulk of my comments until I've had my second viewing.

Oh yeah, I voted 'Excellent'. No other choice really.

:techman:

15. Sulu's Lover

So let me get this straight.Your opinion is that he is not reading my review because of the lack of paragraphs? That is odd.

Rob

16. Sulu's Lover

It is allready established that Kirk is a slut.

Rob

Why the hell do you think that? Because she was one character having a solid relationship in the movie? You know, not like that Kirk dude who constantly whistles at every female throughout the whole movie. ;)

17. Michael

Well, that's really just a guess. I read your post. But I know many people here don't read posts of that length that don't contain paragraphs. :)

So why exactly can't Uhura be one? (Not saying that I think she's a slut.)

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"It's Trek, Jim, but not as we know it."

19. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Re: Star Trek XI :Did anyone dislike this movie other than me? [Spoile

Posts that are just one huge single block are harder to read. They indicate a lack of ability to communicate properly, through the written word. Some people might infer that as a lesser intelligence or intellect, thus dismissing that person's opinion as ill-informed and of lesser worth.

I'd be one of those people.

Although I AM worried about the constant lens flares. Thank God the original post contained none of THOSE!

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Re: Star Trek XI :Did anyone dislike this movie other than me? [Spoile

Spoiler warning added to thread title.

Is there any reason this couldn't have been posted in the pinned grading and discussion thread at the top of this forum? Posting your reactions to the movie -- whether good, bad, or indifferent -- is the whole reason for that thread being there.