The unofficial Rock Band thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Aragorn, May 30, 2008.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Weird. I didn't know you had to register to read posts? Anyhoo, there ya go!

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

You have to register to read posts in their video game forum.

3. firehawk12

Hrm, that's weird. You can go into the deals forums without registering... and that should be their bread and butter.
    Either way, free songs. I lost two bucks because I went ahead and bought the songs in the morning, but oh well. :lol:

4. Aragorn

Now that I have two Disturbed songs, I will probably never play them again after the first run through them.

I'll just keep jamming away at Buffett and The Cars! :)

5. Aragorn

Hmmm... something tells me that when Buffett re-recorded his songs for this game, he changed some of the lyrics:

I want to be a couch potato
    Just play Rock Band every day

6. Worf412

Worf412 Angry Pirate Rear Admiral

I gotta say, as a person who has played Rock Band/Guitar Hero once (and wasn't terribly blown away), what the hell is the point to playing it with a controller? That must seriously be one of the most boring video game experiences since Barbie's Horse Adventures.

7. firehawk12

Well, it is easier because you don't have to strum, I guess.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I have tried the guitar and I just can't do it. I've tried it left handed and right handed and it just does not work for me. If I want to play the game in a manner that's "boring" and I'm willing to pay for the game, why shouldn't I be able to ?

9. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

If you don't want it then don't buy it, but the developer is under no obligation to add a specific feature that is in this case probably used by an extreme minority. There's obviously a lot of custom stuff going on in how it handles input (the guitar has more buttons now then the controller does) so they probably decided it wasn't worth the effort to support a feature so infrequently used or requested.

You're not willing to pay for the game, you're willing to pay for a different game.

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Guitar Hero III allows the use of the controller and I believe the previous two games did as well.

And no, they're not under any obligation to do so themselves, but they have lost an otherwise guaranteed sale by not doing so.

11. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering how well it's sold, I don't think this is a pressing concern on their end ;)

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Given the discussion about this I've seen elsewhere, they could have sold even more, but oh well. I will stick with Guitar Hero.

13. firehawk12

I'm kind of glad only because then there isn't an achievement for playing the game with a controller.
    Still, Harmonix made the first two GH games, so it's a feature they themselves implemented. I guess they thought that it's not worth doing for Rock Band.

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^And Neversoft reimplemented it too, since my understanding is that while Activision kept the name they lost the source code.

15. firehawk12

Yep, HMX took the code with them.

16. Worf412

Worf412 Angry Pirate Rear Admiral

Because when a game then does not include your preferred insipid mode-of-play you bitch about it as though it was a Zelda game that forgot to include a sword?

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Who's bitching ? I just said I was disappointed and am not going to buy it, I'm not picketing EA's headquarters am I ?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  18. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Having fun with the 2 Disturbed songs. Time to go on marketplace and pick up more songs, as these are the only 2 I've downloaded since picking the game up.

19. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

I just picked up a bunch of songs off the DC, any recommendations for good hard guitar tracks?

20. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Sorting the DLC list by guitar tier can give you some indication. Then it's a trip to YouTube I find!