Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Mods... couldn't you have kept the original thread title?

Just asking.

...sounded better...

:)

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand why the BBC just doesn't get out front of this story and make a statement either way. If Morris did return their property as it appears, there is nothing to negotiate. They should be hyping this and building the anticipation.

Side question, does anyone know if the BBC has announced lost material for other shows/films since 2011? Perhaps they would've announced them even if not Doctor Who? That could be something to check out, but I didn't find anything during a quick Google search.

Mr Awe

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If there's something to get in front of (as with the BBC Worldwide e-mail that Levine wrote about that forced the BBC's hand on Matt Smith's departure), then there's a good chance we'll see something happen, an announcement made in the next forty-eight hours. And it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on Levine's Twitter feed tomorrow.

There were two episodes of The Sky at Night that were recovered last year, if memory serves.

4. Mr Awe

^ The fact that only 2 episodes of that show was announced makes me suspicious about the entire rumor. Would the BBC keep the entire 3 ton shipment a secret just so we wouldn't wonder about Doctor Who recoveries? Maybe they'd do just that but it does seem extreme.

Well, they could get out front of it either by confirming the find, or by denying it so the rumors don't take over. Ok, too late for that but they could put out the fire if it's not true.

Mr Awe

5. Candlelight

You're assuming we know all the factors. There could be other elements at play. For all we know they could've made a deal with the BFI (again) for a screening later in the year. Part of that deal could be an embargo until a specific date...

6. Candlelight

From a Mr David Drysdale who posted this on the missing episodes forum 2 hours ago:

Again, just more unsubstantiated fuel for the fire. They guy only has 12 posts so isn't a regular.

7. Mr Awe

That would be a case of the tail wagging the dog!

Mr Awe

8. Candlelight

Ian Levine just woke up and jumped straight on Twitter:

Paul Vanezis is also tweeting:

Twitter. Gotta love it. Tearing each other a new one 140 characters at a time.

9. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ian does bring it on himself.

He lacks the filter most of us have the allow us to guage an appropriate level of reaction to things. He'll happily insult and abuse anyone who "does him wrong" (I used to be a friend of his but eventually wound labled as "the biggest c*** in Fandom" by him*) but treats any criticism against himself as a Crime Against Humanity.

*Years ago he had the notion to get a bunch of fans to colourise the Pertwee episodes that were at the time still only in B&W and I made the mistake of telling him that the way he was going about it was bound to fail.

He disagreed. Vehemently.

It failed.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I've occasionally wondered where he falls on the autism spectrum.

11. StCoop

A good point that I just saw someone make elsewhere. If the BBC knew that The Tenth Planet Episode 4 existed in 2011 why are they releasing a DVD with an animated version on it?

12. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I believe Dan Hall was kept out of the loop regarding the G4 and TUW finds until very late in the day, so it's possible the same thing has happened again.

13. Mr Awe

The thought occurs that this could be an elaborate hoax by certain individuals (not the BBC) to shake free some lost episodes that are currently in the hands of hoarding fans.

How? By elaborately creating the illusion that a whole boatload of them has been found. That way, if any others were holding onto lost episodes, they'd think that they'd soon be worth zero and might rush to get them to the BBC.

I don't know, just a thought that occured to me late last night!

Holes in the rumor:

Why would a smaller poorer nation hold on to 3 tons of BBC films when the BBC itself couldn't?

These films arrived in Oct 2011 and there has been plenty of time to go through them. Would the BBC seriously keep the entire batch secret, even the non-DW content?

If there's any truth to the African engineer part of the rumor, why does the shipment supposedly contain episodes not shown in Africa?

Why does the "recovered" episodes magically not contain the ones that have been animated? It sounds like a rationalization to say that a key person was kept out of the loop!

So, just how does 3 tons of film remain hidden for nearly 5 decades?!

Just a few holes.

Mr Awe

14. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That sounds depressingly familiar.
    Ian is one of those people who can't distinguish between means and ends.
    If he launched a campaign to end poverty and suffering, and you said "But Ian, it's not going to work, but it might have a slightly better chance if..." he'd assume you were in favour of starvation and suffering, rather than listen to your suggestion.

15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Hm, so Levine is now claiming to have proof of missing episodes, not going to tell, nyah haha, knows something we don't, etc - exactly the image that certain sections of fandom have tried to mythologise him as for years. And nobody thinks that's awfully convenient?

Which suggests to me - and I'd be delighted to be proved wrong by 90 episodes turning up - that he's being played, and massively trolled.

16. Mr Awe

^ It seems like he's just seen the shipping manifest that is available online. The one that indicates that 3 tons of "old films" was shipped to the UK by Phil Morris in Oct 2011. That doesn't mean it contains 90 missing DW episodes but it's at least something.

And, I don't get the whole thing with Ian? He's always listed as a "super-fan" but so what. He's just some guy. Sounds like an irritating guy too, but I don't know him. I have no idea how people became so interested in him. Even those who don't like him always mention him!

17. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

18. Mr Awe

That non-response is VERY suggestive. If they wanted to squelch the rumors, they'd just deny them. But, they intentionally did not deny them. They just could not confirm, which is entirely different.

This almost proves it to me more than anything else!

Mr Awe

19. StCoop

If you've seen 'Love & Monsters' then you've seen Ian Levine (minus the literally turning into a monster bit).

He was a fan who managed to wheedle his way into pseudo-involvement with the TV series, including partially writing one story, for which he got "paid" in Video Tapes and other Benefit-In-Kind (a lot of which have turned up on Classic Series DVDs but generally not until he's thrown a tantrum and threatened not to contribute anything ever again).

He's also very, very rich. I mean seriously loaded. Which is why he's taken in recent years to hiring people to make Doctor Who, animated and live-action (with the real actors) for the benifit of himself and the chosen few he shows it to.

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, pretty brutal non-denial denial if it is all BS. "Unable to confirm the find" had to be a specifically selected statement. A real denial would be "There is no truth to the rumor" or "there are no missing Doctor Who episodes in our possession" or something equally as definitive