Female Captains poll

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by BrentMc, May 30, 2012.

?

Do you want to see more female captains in Star Trek Novels?

1. Yes. Beam me up!

27 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. No. I am a sexist pig

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Most of the Captain's I choose for my fanfic are female, so I have no problems with women in charge.

I've fallen out with TrekLit of late, so I can't really say who is where and doing what, though I did love having Kira in command of DS9. Makes me wish the series had continued with Nana Visitor in the lead role.

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am on board with that. And what about houshi from enterprise.
    :drool::drool::drool::drool:

3. Hugh Cambridge

Hugh Cambridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For Ezri I did not like the change from counselor to captain since the character became something I don't like, she lost something important there, the fragility which was a part of her charm for me. Apart from this case, female captains are usualy very good (remember Janeway and, recently Atish Khatami) , I'm no sexist.

4. Cybersnark

Cybersnark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How do you know Guinan hasn't been a Captain once or twice? ;)

Joking aside, I do note that a lot of TrekLit's female captains have been restricted to supporting roles only;

Capt. Kira: In charge, but didn't really do anything while the story focused more on Vaughn, Ro, Taran'Atar, Shar, et al.

Capt. Shelby: Really just marking time until she made Admiral, end even then she's best used as Cahoun's sidekick.

Capt. Gomez: Mentioned in Destiny, but apparently only took over once SCE was finished.

Capt. Eden: Commanded briefly, but then Chakotay got his groove back.

Capt. Mueller: Best-known as Calhoun's distaff counterpart and backup.

Capt. Dax: Hasn't really had the chance to shine yet (we saw her in relation to Picard & Riker, and playing support for Bashir's covert mission, but we haven't really seen her work independently).

5. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

I thought it was Ezri growing and taking on new responsibility.

The poll options were a Joke. I won't call anyone a sexist because they want more Kirk, Picard, or Sisko Stories, so do I. I just want to know who else wants more stories will strong female leads.

I look forward to that new Typhon pact novel coming in September that features Ezri and the Aventine.

6. BrentMc

If the moderators would like to, they could change the title of this thread to strong female leads and get rid of the poll.

7. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

MU-Leeta was briefly in command of MU-Defiant in The Soul Key. She may well have continued that role in Rise Like Lions - I don't know, I haven't read it.

So, saving the station from a Jem'Hadar attack, nearly sacrificing her life to save the population of a nearby colony, actually leading Bajor into the Federation (which Sisko never did), going alone to defeat the parasite Matriarch, chasing down the perpetrator of the slaughter of Sidau village, and leading a mission to the Alternate Universe aren't "really doing anything." Right, okay then. Yeah, you're right, Kira's just a layabout.

She was working independently in A Singular Destiny.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not to mention that Kira's attainder was a big arc throughout the first handful of DS9R books.

9. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I liked the Romulan Captain in That Which Divides. Interesting, capable lady.

10. BrentMc

I just finished that book and I agree. I also liked how much important work Uhura did. The ambassador Dana Sortino was amazing as well. I liked how she was not just another official that needed babysitting. She kicked butt.