Seven Deadly Sins Discuss/ Grade

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Mar 18, 2010.

1. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose I never had the problem that every story didn't match the standard morality tale structure with an embodiment and punishment for a specific sin at the center, because I don't actually like the concept in the first place. As I said in my review, I was very doubtful of the concept when the anthology was announced, and was just hoping that we'd get good stories despite it. Which is why I am pleasantly surprised that I liked the stories for themselves and that they're not too spoiled by preachiness. A couple of stories do - more or less - match the morality tale requirements (The First Peer, The Slow Knife) but they're good in spite of it, not because of it (IMO).

2. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

I wasn't necessarily looking for a morality tale. I remember reading the back cover summary and thinking "Oooh, cool!"

That was more of a letdown, for me. Not necessarily that they didn't match the sin (although that would have been an extra plus) but rather that the back cover summary didn't match up to Freedom Angst's and Revenant's plots..

I don't tend to read most things, not even in the bookstore as a precursor to buying unless

A) I'm required to do to class/work/committee assignments,
    B) The back cover/Wikipedia/User Reviews set off a little lightbulb/klaxon in my head, and
    C) The book is by an author I have read before and/or am familiar with.

Now, that's not a fool-proof, solve-everything approach (Before Dishonor comes to mind), but I find it works. In this case, it worked overall. That's the other thing about anthologies for me: If I get that lightbulb/klaxon at less than 50% +1 of the stories, I don't bother with it, especially if there are novels nearby that I do want.

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

It was a new one, generally. There hasn't been much that dealt with it, given that Enterprise only gave us this answer in the late fourth season, and book production takes a while. :)

Which is, in fact, what I try to do in my Klingon fiction. I don't think I've ever, for example, used HaDIbaH, which translates to "animal" because, well, it translates to "animal." :lol: Even with QuchHa' and HemQuch, I tried to also use the terms "smooth-head" and "ridge-head" as well. But generally, I try to only use the Klingon words for untranslateable words or proper names.

I don't think anyone thought it would, but I think Kor in particular wanted to prove that his heart was Klingon even if his forehead wasn't, in light of Sorkav's behavior, the treatment of Jurva, and of the conversation among him, Kang, Mara, and Koloth over dinner. Sorry it felt too pat, though -- that's on me....

4. ProtoAvatar

ProtoAvatar Fleet Captain

The more is found out about the events behind the familiar alliances and emnities, the more of a disappointment the romulans become.

The romulans pride themselves as being accomplished politicians, apt in the art of intrigue and backstabbing.

Yet we know the Federation outmaneuvered the romulans twice on a massive scale (as far as 'intrigue' goes) - once during the Tomed incident and once during the Dominion war.
    Not to mention that Earth, then a young spacefaring power, conclusively defeated the centuries old romulan empire in war. And the fact that Shinzon - a single human - got his revenge on the romulans who mistreated him by trashing their entire INTERSTELLAR EMPIRE.

And now, in "The first peer", we find out the klingons also deceived the romulans and not only got away with it, but prospered - obtained cloaking tech, lauched raids against the Federation and set the romulans up to pay for them, etc:klingon:.

Apprently, the louder the bark, the weaker the bite:evil:.

5. marcusgee

marcusgee Ensign Newbie

What was fun about doing "Revenant" for this collection was that Marco Palmieri pretty much let me have free reign to do what I wanted--so I chose more of a horror theme, because I wanted to get the Borg back to their nasty, terrifying selves. From what I've read here, that came through pretty well--and I thank y'all for letting me scare you a little!

Granted, the "gluttony" theme was secondary to the horror element. but I think it mostly stands as more of a motive for the Borg, not to mention the stirrings that the characters are feeling deep inside as they slowly assimilate. That part of it is pretty subtle, until the end when it manifests itself as more of a hunger for revenge. However you slice it, though, even this incarnation of the Borg are at the mercy of their drives--and it would be interesting to see them wrestle with that in another story.

6. mbruno

mbruno Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was wondering that myself.

7. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

Is Seven Deadly Sins generally recommended by folks around here? I do like the anthologies generally.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I loved it. Especially the Klingon story.

9. Dancing Doctor

I'd recommend it. On the whole it was enjoyable, though I didn't personally really like the Borg or MU stories.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm in the process of reading it right now. I'm up to the Borg story so far (I skipped the MU story after just a few pages, it just wasn't doing anything for me, but I might go back to it later), and I've really enjoyed the stories I've read so far. I would definitely recommend it.

11. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i think the only really crappy one was the Borg one. i know i liked the Klingon, Romulan, Pakled and Ferengi ones.

12. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my opinion, all the stories were at least good, and some were excellent.

13. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

Is the MU story focused on the MU Sisko?

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yes.

15. Dancing Doctor

Yes. I didn't particularly like it, because it fell short, to me, of what it was supposed to present and deal with. Maybe it's just me, but that was one of the dullest and most emotionless of the stories (ironic when one considers the emotion that it's supposed to deal with is lust). At the end, I honestly couldn't really tell you much about what happens, except for what one of my friends called "the gay scene". (Note, that's their phrase, not mine).

Same with Revenant, pretty much.

16. OverlordSpock

OverlordSpock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Obviously, others are allowed their opinions, and mine isn't any more right or wrong than others, but it surprises me that more people didn't like Revenant. I thought it was a very gripping story—one that I found it very difficult to put down (although I will admit that the ending didn't entirely work for me...).

Maybe it's just because it was a new Borg story right after so much trouble was gone through to get rid of the Borg in Destiny.

17. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

not for me, i just thought the plot was crap.

18. Dancing Doctor

Me too. Plus, and I'm honestly not really sure, I just didn't care what happened to the characters. None of them connected, none of them really stood out, and I pretty much went "Wow, that kinda sucked" and moved on and forgot about it.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I really liked "Revenant," too. I thought it was a good, creepy horror story.

The Cardassian story was probably my favorite, though.

20. Dancing Doctor

I agree about the Cardassian story, for sure. But, full disclosure, I already love Cardassians and Romulans to begin with.

Your Pakled story was excellent, too. And, apart from the Borg story, that one was probably the one I was most skeptical about.