"Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Rate Iron Man 3

1. Excellent

72 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. Above Average

61 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. Average

16 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Just got back from seeing it and I gotta say, I am LOVING that we are getting these flicks before America! For once we are not getting spoiled! IM3 opened here the day before ANZAC Day on 24/4!!!

I really loved the abundance of humour in this film - there were several laugh out loud moments. The "I knew you were cold, because we're connected" scene and the bit where Tony makes fun of the kid because his dad left him(you know what I mean)had the entire cinema cracking up laughing! They were GENUINELY funny moments and not the usual, "Oh, it's a kid so we must validate his precious psyche" - it was more like, "Toughen up princess - life sucks sometimes!"

More kids need this treatment.

For the unfortunate who have not seen it yet - except for the airplane rescue(one of THE MOST THRILLING moments I have seen in film in a VERY LONG TIME!!!), this film DOES NOT need to be seen in 3D. The 3D adds VERY LITTLE to the film and, even worse, since a LOT of this movie takes place at night, it is already quite dark. The rookie director who has taken over the helm also does not really know how to make a film for 3D so the final battle scene, on the rigging, in the dark was, at times hard to follow and see what was happening to the various Iron Mans who turned up to save the day. This was a real pity as they had obviously designed them all differently and you could barely see them!

See it in 2D and you will have pretty much the same experience, except for, as I already said, the BRILLIANT plane rescue. That scene LITERALLY took my breath away!!!

Oh and the Mandarin was AWESOME!!! When we got to his second video feed, after killing the accountant I thought, "WOW - how the fuck is this going to play in Buttfuck Montana to Joe Sixpack and his pregnant sixteen year old cousin?!?" This was TOO real and LITERALLY ripped from the headlines - it made you feel uncomfortable because I felt like I was watching a live news feed(complete with Joan Rivers - AWESOME!!!), rather than a fun popcorn movie. When it is revealed the "Mandarin" is actually a dopey English actor named Trevor Slattery, who has all the character flaws of a Z-grade panto thespian, that was FUCKING HILARIOUS!!! What made it even more appropriate was his voice was done SO BADLY you are thinking to yourself, "I cannot take this villain seriously - he actually pronounces "America" the same way Cleveland does; "A-merca". The reveal explains EXACTLY why he sounds so fucking stupid!

Anyway, what was becoming a little bit too dark and ponderous and threatening to collapse under the weight of its own pretension(read: fucking Dark Knight/Rises/Returns or whatever the fuck), suddenly became a HILARIOUS and funny gag with a great comedic character - the anti Heath Ledger/Bane/whatever.

LOVED IT - GENIUS!!!!

So - see this in 2D and roll on STAR TREK, which we are also getting early - EIGHT DAYS before America! Go Australia!!!!!

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

While the film isn't quite what I expected (the Extremis soldiers and the Mandarin twist primarily), I really enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot more in repeat viewings once I accept what the film for the story it told, and not for the story I thought it would tell. All that aside, I nonetheless loved the twist in regards to the Mandarin and I know a lot of hard core fans are going to be pissed (kind of how I felt with all of the Spider-Man films).

Lots of great humor, character building (great character study for post-Avengers Tony), action sequences, great use of the entire cast (from Paltrow and Cheadle to Pearce and Kingsley as well as the unexpected appearance of James Badge Dale), and unexpected turns in the story. The Extremis soldiers aside, about the only thing that really bugged me about the film was the absence of Harley's mother. Where was she? Surely she was concerned that her son was hanging out with someone who could put her child in danger. A minor, but persistent quibble.

The falling passengers sequence was incredibly intense and I expected only four people would survive (despite what the trailers had us believing), although I'm sure the way survived wasn't actually possible. But who cares? This is a film about a guy who fights and flies around in an armor suit.

Edit: I loved the post-credits scene with Mark Ruffalo reprising his role as Bruce Banner, especially considering I expected Tony talking to an annoyed Nick Fury. Speaking of which, I was surprised Samuel L. Jackson didn't make an appearance. While from a story standpoint, it's better for the film not feature Fury, this is the first Avengers-verse film not to feature Jackson (aside from The Incredible Hulk which does and doesn't count).

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm going to go with a 7.5/10.

4. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Geez by the time this comes out in America, the rest of the world will be onto "Star Trek"!!!

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be up for a low-budget "Science Bros" movie with Ruffalo and Robert Downey jr.

6. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Sounds great to me... here's the poster for it.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Sold! I want this now. Hell, we don't even need to see their alter egos for the show to work.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, how about an animated Iron Man and Hulk movie?

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Here's a silly minor spoiler question--

During my recent re-watch, I noticed a recurring joke in the first two movies. In the first movie, Stane tells Stark to "Hold still, you little prick". In IM2, after Sen. Stern sticks Stark with his own medal he says, "It's amazing how annoying a little prick can be, isn't it?" I never even noticed it until watching them back-to-back. Is that joke perpetuated in IM3?

10. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the nude scene with RDJ and Paltrow, the reference in the first two films becomes clear.
    Just kidding.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was an entertaining movie. That said, I'd say it was the weakest of the three movies. The plot was just so all over the place in introducing and removing plot elements. RDJ pulled it off well, and he was always fun to watch though. The ending... yeah right, that won't stick. ;)

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

My Funko Avengers Movie Wobbler Bobble Heads that I ordered on Amazon just arrived in the mail today! I love how much Cap looks like Chris Evans and Thor looks like Chris Hemsworth. Iron Man and Hulk look cool too!

I'm now ready for IM3! :techman:

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone hear about the exclusive Chinese edition? I really want to see that, sounds surreal.

14. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The movie was OK, but not much more then that, in my opinion.

I really like the humor, RDJ does a great job with his lines (not surprising).
    The villains were a credible threat in terms of how they match up to iron man, although a bit one note in their abilities.

The plot is a mixed bag. I kept wondering where it will go next, which is good. But looking back, I feel like it went nowhere. I still can't figure out what the bad guy's motivation was for what he did.

The 3D is superfluous. There isn't that much action in the movie (at least in relation to it's run time), so if were to see it again I'll go to a regular screening.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I think I enjoyed it more than the first one. Yeah, it's your basic summer superhero movie, but it was a cut above. The Mirrorball Man summed it up nicely… Superhero action, drama, buddy cop stuff and comedy. Lots of it too. If I were to compare this one to the other installments, I'd say that it was like getting the usual sundae with extra fudge. And above all, it took full advantage of Robert Downey Jr's charisma to make it all work. An easy excellent. :techman:

Then there's The Mandarin. I loved the grainy look in his initial scenes and found him to be pretty menacing. Then there was the big twist. Absolutely brilliant. It was so absurd I didn't even believe it at first. This film series has played fast and loose with the Iron Man mythos, but this one takes the cake and Ben Kingsley totally and utterly killed it. :D

I remember when the first movie came out, people were wondering how they could do The Mandarin and many said he wouldn't work. Well, they pulled it off and did so in a way that's totally consistent with how this version of Iron Man has been done.

Loved that too.

Agreed. The landing in the water was sort of like the part in Speed where the bus jumped the gap in the ramp, if you know what I mean, but the whole sequence was still great. I especially loved how realistic the fall looked.

16. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

17. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This has been out for a few days here in NZ.

I am kind of a fan of the comics, and a big fan of the "Marvel Cinematic Universe". So my views on it are probably appropriate for people like that.

I really liked the movie overall, a very entertaining popcorn blockbuster. Everybody in the film did a very good acting job, Don Chedale's character was fleshed out a lot which was nice to see, and everybody had something to do, they even had Gwyneth Paltrow kicking ass in an action scene which was epic. And might I say Mrs Paltrow is looking MIGHTY fine for a woman north of 40, she puts those half her age (like me) to shame!

Robert Downey Jr did a splendid job, and his interactions with an unlikely "sidekick" of sorts were comedy gold. Otherwise Ben Kingsley really steals the show in a manner you will NOT see coming.

The Action scenes were fantastic as always, and although there is some clumsy execution on one emotional scene near the end, the whole film comes together very nicely.

You may have guessed by now, i'm not very good at reviewing movies, but i'd recommend anyone to go see this one, it's a movie almost anyone will enjoy and almost nobody will find offensive.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I decided to go to a Thursday night showing after all. Went at 11:30 PM to one of the farther away, but nicer stadium theaters in town.

This review will have SPOILERS.

I thought it was excellent. Extremis was one of the more famous storylines from the comics, and this was an interesting loose adaption. I liked that IM3 dealt with the aftermath of the Avengers with how Tony reacted to almost dying in New York. IM3 made up for the lackluster second movie, and was nearly as good as the first movie.

Robert Downey Jr was perfect as Tony Stark as always. This man just has it on whenever he is playing the character. There were plenty of laughs from the audience whenever he said something or did something unexpected. I liked his friendship with the boy, Harley. Most child actors in movies like this tend to be annoying as heck, but they were great together. Stark himself acts like a boy at times even with his genius intellect, and they had many fun scenes.

Gwyneth Paltrow and Don Cheadle certainly improved from the second movie. They both got much more to do too. It was great how Pepper was such a badass at the end and ended up saving herself. Paltrow is still in great shape, and I admit that I was checking her out during all the scenes with her restrained to the table. We also got plenty of Rhodes being heroic too, which was lacking in the second movie. I missed the War Machine suit, though the new Iron Patriot suit was cool too.

Killian was an interesting bad guy. I guess using a cooperate villain was too hard not to use for the writers. But I think Guy Pearce knocked it out of the park and almost was as good as Bridges was as Obadiah Stane from the first movie. The final twist with the main villain might have pissed off some comic fans, but I didn't mind. Ben Kingsley was good playing both the menacing and humorous parts of his character. I choose to think that the Mandarin with the magic rings is still out there, and will face Stark in the distant future.

The action was incredible and was the best in the series. You can definitely tell that Shane Black has more experience with action compared to Jon Favreau. The standout scene was Iron Man saving the falling people from Air Force One. I loved the constant change of Iron Man suits during the climax. However, it was a little unnerving seeing them being cut apart like hot butter!

The only thing I felt could have been better was if they had used Maya more. She was barely in it for someone who was so important to the story. Rebecca Hall is hot, and I wanted to see more of her. Her exit was so abrupt.

The ending felt pretty definite, but I have my doubts that it is really over for the character. The credits was cool showing footage from all three Iron Man movies. It made me feel nostalgic. The post credit scene was hilarious! It was definitely worth staying though the entire credits for, and I was very glad not to have been spoiled! Plenty of people stayed too!

19. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^^^^^^^

Agree on this I thought it was a bit dumb.

Iron Man's old suit could toe it with THOR (if only for a few minutes) yet they get smashed up easily by extremis thugs. Minor complaint though.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I know that they have to make things dangerous for the hero for the climax, but damn it felt like the suits were made of paper.

However, I really loved that we got way more Tony Stark outside the suit action scenes. They really stepped up in the action department for IM3.:techman: