URBAN FANTASY

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Mar 8, 2011.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think anita would like you're avatar she very much into pinguines .

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Good point. I admit I've fallen behind in my Powers reading. I'm mostly familar with his early historical fantasies like The Stress of Her Regard . . . .[/QUOTE]

They're set in Las Vegas and California in the 1980s... excellent books, the first two seem standalone until the third one combines their plotlines.[/QUOTE]

I read and enjoyed Last Call. Bugsy Siegel as the Fisher King!

Haven't caught up with the later books, though. I still need to read Declare as well.

P.S. If you like Powers, you should check out Graham Joyce. A bit more literary, verging on mainstream, but great stuff. Requiem, Indigo, The Tooth Fairy . . . .

(Full disclosure: I acquired Graham's first four novels for Tor, although he's since moved on to other publishers.)

3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

ty for the heads-up, I'll do that!

...and Declare was fun, it partly reminded me of the Roberta Lincoln parts of your first Khan novel.

4. timothy

has anyone read aberham lincoln vampire slayer yet great read . looking forward to the movie .

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the actor they got to play Lincoln. That movie sounds like it will be entertaining. :D

6. timothy

who's playing lincoln ?

7. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree! Harry Dresden is my favorite. The new Dresden Files book usually comes out in April but it's been pushed back to july this year, sigh.

8. timothy

have you seen the tv series ?
    it ran only one season it was pretty good . I've read the first two novels and liked what I have read . plan to get back to it later this year .

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Benjamen Walker is playing Lincoln. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is playing Mary Todd. Trent Reznor is playing vampire Jack Barts. Excellent and fun book and am looking forward to the film.

I also recently finished a book called "Blood Oath" the first in the President's Vampire (now a duology as the sequel is being released next month) written by Christopher Farnsworth which I would recommend checking out. Awesome book. The author has suggested Christian Bale and Justin Long as the leads for his two characters.

There's also Scott Synder's excellent "American Vampire" comic. Lots of good stuff out there.

10. timothy

well my main goal this year is to finish all 20 novels before the summer and then back
    to st:tng relaunch and then jim butcher the dressden files followed by star trek vangaurd . the true blood series followed by st : ds9 relaunch then onto l a banks .
    this way I keep up with several series this year and dont get burned out .
    I buy two books a week . This week I picked up star trek tng resistance and laurell k hamilton's obsidian butterfly . and then I picked the new true blood graphic novel .

has anyone read lock and key ?

11. MLJames

MLJames Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked two books by Charles de Lint, Jack The Giant Killer and Drink Down The Moon, set in contemporary Ottowa (well, contemporary in the late 80s, anyway).

12. timothy

never read him but there are some of his books on the nook . just not the two you mintention .

13. MLJames

MLJames Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The first one I mentioned came out in '87; the second was published in '90, IIRC.

14. timothy

Now has anyone read L.A. BANKS ?

15. timothy

picked up TRUEBLOOD : TAINTED LOVE # 1 Today great read great series can'nt wait for season 3 on blu ray .