The Official Welcome Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lord Garth, Sep 21, 2007.

1. jeremyk

jeremyk Cadet Newbie

yeah, this is exactly why i'm here. looking for scraps of information without risking a full spoiler-alert...

2. Admiral Lithium

Admiral Lithium Ensign Red Shirt

Hello.

The name is Lithium, Admiral Lithium. Yes, I know the name is silly, but its an old one. In the unlikely event that some of the members here remember the old AOL Star Trek chat room..back in the late 90s.... you might remember the name. I used to be hardcore Trek...all flavors...but I got burned out on the direction of the series.

I still love the idea of the Star Trek universe and I am looking forward to seeing what direction this new flick takes it. I am not a Canon-ite maniac so I am not overly concerned if they stay 100% faithful...in fact there are things I hope they DO change.

Glad to have found this place.

3. Captain Al

Captain Al Commander Red Shirt

Hello all,

I just returned to the trekbbs after a long, long hiatus. I saw the new ST film on Wednesday, and this die-hard, lifelong fanboy absolutely loved it, and I'm a TOS fanatic.

I used to post here all the time, but life got in the way so I had to break off to concentrate on other things. However, I have a new baby girl, aged two months now, that will be growing up with Star Trek just as I did. I promise that she'll be sitting on my lap watching classic episodes of TOS with me.

I hope to post more here in the coming months. This was always the best Trek bb of them all.

as always, Captain Al

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Welcome to the fun, all! :)

5. HUGE_Trek_Girl

HUGE_Trek_Girl Cadet Newbie

Hi everyone!

How are y'all doing!!!!

I'm new here and am a HUGE fan of the entire Star Trek series as well as the CSI shows.

I'm probably the BIGGEST Star Trek fan here.

6. HUGE_Trek_Girl

Re: Hi everyone!

No one says high??

Way to make a girl feel welcome.

7. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a welcome thread pinned at the top of the forum. But Hello.

8. HUGE_Trek_Girl

I'm sorry. Here I was typing away with my stubby fingers and didn't even bother reading that thread.

9. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Hi, Huge Trek Girl! Ishould advise you don't want to be the biggest fan here. Some of them are weird.

10. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

welcome everyone...
    :)

11. gizmo

gizmo Cadet Newbie

new to posting here, but have been browsing for awhile.

12. Parka Nick Ti

Parka Nick Ti Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I jumped the phaser and did some posting before I saw this thread. I have been a member for 7 months, but a lifelong fan of TOS

13. ckret2

ckret2 Ensign Newbie

Greetings from another newbie! Recently watched the movie, got hooked, and am now starting my way through TOS. I wasn't into Star Trek before... yesterday afternoon, but considering my general tastes and preferences in my fiction, I myself have been wondering why I haven't gotten into Star Trek yet.

And now I have. My mom's an original Star Trek fan, so I suppose it must be genetic. Hello, everyone, I'm glad to be here and getting caught up on 40+ years of Star Trek history.

(But don't expect me to post much until I've seen enough episodes to feel like I'm not completely ignorant, heh.)

14. Peyton

Peyton Ensign Newbie

Hello all, have been a fan for many, many years! Loved the movie! Have been away from Trek for a while(about a yr) but am back. I felt that the movie had the true Trek flavor!

15. Alexis

Alexis Ensign Red Shirt

I was already in the process of making a post in the Trek XI topic when I realised that perhaps it's good manners to first introduce myself. :)

After months of reading along here with all the discussions (mainly about the new Trek) I finally decided to create an account and join the club here. I grew up on TNG when it first aired over here and rolled into DS9 after that. DS9, sadly, was lost on me at that age and after the pilot episode of VOY I decided not to bother anymore and just enjoy the movies, of which I think the TOS-based ones are the best. It was only years later with the dvd releases that I watched the rest of the Trek series (after which DS9 quickly became my favourite of the bunch) and became a full-fledged Trekaholic.

Anyway: hi again and let's see where this goes.

16. tauzo

tauzo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi everyone!

Pardon my rudeness ... I just saw this thread, too! I signed on a while ago, and forgot that the various sub-forums have there own intro pages. I'm generally a lurker, but I've got lots to procrastinate these days!

Anyway, Though I'm not old enough to have watched TOS in its original run .. but almost! I did watch it in its first syndication in the early 70s, and consider myself a lifelong fan. I have a special affinity for TNG & the Picard, but except for a few gaps in DS9, I've pretty much seen it all.

I'm excited about all the possibilities with this reboot.
    I'm hoping we can get some "Yesterday's Enterprise" style timeline plot twists in this world.

:techman:

17. Minuialeth

Minuialeth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi everyone!

I'm not so new here as I remember posting in the DS9 threads something like 3 years ago.
    I couldn't remember my login name or password so I created new ones and here I am.
    Go and take a can of your fav drink, I'm afraid it's going to be long winded :alienblush: I just want people to know where I'm coming from, Star Trek wise.

I've always been a Trekker and I think I always will be. My interest may dwindle when I get sucked into other fandoms but it's always there and it doesn't take a lot of things to rekindle the flame, probably because Star Trek was the first thing (be it books, cartoons, movies or series) I was ever a fan of.
    Back in 1982, TOS was aired for the first time in France (can you believe how long they waited?!) and my mother watched it. I think it was every Sunday afternoon but I'm not sure. I was 7 years old and I used to watch with her. I remember liking it very much. It was nothing like I had seen before (granted, kids didn't watch a lot of TV back then). I liked the adventures the crew had, I liked the incredible aliens there were, and I liked Spock the most. It must have been because he was the only one in the crew who didn't look like human.

TOS was aired again when I was a teenager. It should have been like those times when you reread a book you had discovered as a kid. The experience is always bittersweet and a tad disappointing because you reread the book through your adult eyes and it has lost some of its magic. But what happened for me was the exact opposite. I was able to fully appreciate TOS.
    Granted, the SFX were outdated, the uniforms looked like pyjamas and the hairdos and make-up were obviously 60's looking but I LOVED the show. I remember running like mad after school from the bus stop to my house to catch the beginning of each episode. The stories were great, the characters had substance and I liked the optimistic vision of the future the show provided. Oh yeah, and I had a crush on Spock :D He was a complex character, he had depth and I felt for him and his being caught between two worlds, trying to find his place. A bit like I was feeling at the time, I guess.

I've just realised it was 20 years ago and I can't believe how all of this has marked my mind and broadened my imagination. When I hear about the international space station, about the future exploration of Mars, about the discovery of a new star, I always think about Star Trek. I guess a part of me persists on thinking that one day, this wonderful future will become real.

TOS was the only Star Trek series to be aired on free TV channels. TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise were all aired on a TV channel you had to pay for and I just couldn't afford it at the time.
    I've been able to watch TNG and DS9 by buying the boxed sets. I really like them too, but my heart still goes to TOS, and my favourite Star Trek character remains Spock (even if Picard, Data, Kira and Odo had all my attention at some point).
    I've also seen all the movies.

As I was a bit "out" of the fandom, I've started to hear about the new ST movie 2 or 3 months ago. I knew that "Nemesis" was the last movie with TNG crew but I had no idea that the 11th was going to feature TOS crew (sort of). Imagine my face when I stumbled upon a teaser :eek: This was Kirk, this was Spock, this was the first Enterprise! I felt giddy.
    I went to see the movie last week, the day it was released in my neck of the woods. That's also the only ST movie I've ever seen on a big screen but that's another story.
    Maybe I should have read more about the actual story before going because I think it would have enhanced my experience. But I was afraid of spoilers. Oh well, what's done's done.
    Then I had to talk about all this to some people and since no one around me is a fan, I remembered this board. And voilà! :)
    I'm going to watch the movie again tomorrow and I think I'll post a review only after (which I think will be even longer than this post. Sorry). I really need a second viewing (and a third, and a fourth and…as long as my small theatre shows it).
    All I can say right now is that I got out of the theatre with a huge grin plastered on my face. And I've ordered the three remastered seasons of TOS right away. I still can't believe I've spent 20 years without watching it.
    Oh and btw, I'm a girl :D

18. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Yellow, everybody! I'm Crusher Disciple and I've been around here since Enterprise's first season. I stayed out of the forum until the movie came out to keep from spoiling myself.

I moon people via PMs and I'm the one who got the naked mod thing started.

Oh, and I like looking at pretty men on tv. :angel:

19. ria 75

ria 75 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My garden, on the other side of the frog pond
    Hi Crusher Disciple, love your current avatar, I thought he was the sexiest in the movie. :)

Same story with me. I stayed the hell away from everything remotely related to ST XI until I saw it yesterday.

I don't know how much time I'll spend in this subforum yet but at least, can I just say that I think the negationist attitude ("This movie isn't Star Trek") is silly? It's denial.
    The people who make these shows are laughing at those who let it make them unhappy. Unless they thrive on ranting.
    But enough of that, this is the welcome thread.
    You don't want to boast about loving things too much around here. :D
    You're gonna get snarky comments. There is more posting from hating than from loving. It's a huge, crazies-ridden, open forum, not a private, crazies-ridden, fan club. So you have to have a tough hide so as to not drop out.

Because everywhere you go, however much in common you have with a particular group, differences and disagreements are going to stick out more than similarities and agreements.

Welcome to the loony bin, HUGE Trek girl, and good luck with your expectations.

20. adamisme

adamisme Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i'm Adam 31 in the UK, been a big fan of Trek since most of the original series Films and the series that followed, did manage to see the original series on BBC 2 on occasion. But yeah I love Star Trek always have