What is Your Favorite Seed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by teacake, Oct 4, 2013.

?

What is Your Favorite Seed?

1. Cumin, COAT MY LAMB BABY! Also, curry.

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Caraway, rye rye rye and seed cake, like the hobbits eat

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Peppercorn, king of spice

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Sesame, my halvah let me show it to you

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Sunflower, you are my sunflower, my only sunflower, you make me happy when skies are grey

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. Poppy, or as we like to call it "poppy".. heh

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. Chia, you are obviously a wanker if you pick this hipster piece of superfood shit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want to know the seed that currently thrills you. That makes you salivate, that you wish for when the cupboard is seedlessly bare of it.

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    You're evil only allowing one :evil:

I used to hate caraway. Not so much now.

Sesame is so...versatile.

(oh, and how long before inevitable Space Seed?)

3. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

My current Minecraft world seed is the best ever.

But, to answer the question properly (I think that's my catchphrase now) I don't really have a favourite. They're all awesome.

For the purposes of the poll I went with "Peppercorns." Goes well with Kettle Chips: the perfect side dish... FOR REVENGE.

4. teacake

I'm currently on a caraway jag, caraway the seed of my childhood. I go without it for years and feel guilty but then I have little rye with caraway and I'm IN LOVE. Again.

Right now I'm eating toasted rye with caraway with blue cheese spread on it. Caraway and blue cheese are made for each other.

I've had a relationship with all the seeds I listed except chia and with sunflower it was an abusive relationship and I don't go there anymore. Most of them are rancid. Really.

Peppercorn is pretty much air to me. It's on everything, coating everything, making everything oxygenated.

Today I had tangyuan with black sesame (glutinous rice balls in a delicate water, hot, filled with black sesame) and while I was eating it I was thinking how black sesame kinda spoils you for the regular white stuff because it is so intense. SO DELICIOUS. These ones were salty too, just little warm round soft works of art.

I went through a big poppy phase, making all those european pastries and such.. I was big on this poppy seed cake. The recipe was full of stages, sift this, fold that, set aside the other.. one day I was in a huge rush and I just dumped EVERYTHING in the bowl at the same time, slammed it around with a spoon and baked it. Came out exactly the same as the delicate operations I had previously performed making this cake. That was a culinary lesson I took to heart.

Poppy seeds make stuff look classy. Boring potato salad? throw in some poppy seeds! They are pretty little bits of decor.. but concentrated.. yum. I used to buy a thousand years ago this poppy seed spread. It was a jam type thing, a paste really. Thick, black, from Poland. It was very good. But then my friend started referring to it as the Chernobyl paste because there was all this stuff in the newspaper about the Chernobyl winds blowing over Poland and I (being very young and not yet realizing that your fate can't be decided by jam) stopped buying it. And now I can't find it.

The only time I still use cumin is making chilli. But I've had that cumin coated lamb northern chinese restaurants serve and that is WOW. But I think I burned out during my very brief Indian cooking phase on cumin and now I rarely bother with it. It's too blatant. Or something. But it's fab in pappadams :lol:

Seeds are like music, you think you're over one of them, that it was a season you went through and then suddenly BAM they're back and you are tossing that seed into everything and singing its praises.

5. teacake

Really what I meant was "what is your current seed kick?"

Favorite is kind of unfair!

You know we had these chips here years ago called Steak and Pepper, they were SO INTENSELY BLACK PEPPER that they of course stopped making them. I still salivate thinking about them.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The only seed on that list that I have ever used is Cumin when I make chili.

7. teacake

You've never used black pepper :eek:?

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Oh, I guess I have. I overlooked it because I'm not used to calling it peppercorn.

But even that I use almost never.

9. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Ah, in that case, it's still probably peppercorns right now. My appetite has... taken a drastic change of late - if this question were asked last year I'd have gone for something much more exotic.

10. teacake

I love freshly ground black pepper. Goes on everything, thickly.

11. lurok

I'm still intrigued by idea that pepper was so valuable a commodity that it was used as currency.

12. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

I use cumin the most, but I kinda like mustard seeds in curries too.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  13. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

is corn a seed? because i sometimes have crazy popcorn cravings

14. teacake

I picture the utter utter blandness of a cuisine defined by potatoes and salt, meat and salt, boiled into pulp greens and salt. And then.. PEPPER!

Must have blown their minds. I've eaten things for a first time where I've literally felt like a door opened up in my mind and neural pathways and stuff like that. I imagine pepper convulsed continents and cultures when it first appeared.

15. lurok

Exactly. Blown their minds. Rather like kumquats and pineapples.

But we don't use skunk, lsd or heroin as currency.

Do we?

16. teacake

Unlike the pineapples peppercorns don't go off. Rot etc..

As to the heroin, depends on who "we" is :lol:

But really, it was not different than gold. Not minted currency, but of an imperishable (for the most part) with defined value.

17. teacake

You've got me reading Waverly Root on the peppercorn as currency now.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't really have a favorite.

Although I have heard it said that if you want to curry favor...you should favor curry. :shifty:

19. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a hard time with the choices, so I went with the classic black peppercorn (which is technically the whole fruit, not just the seed). But the great thing about spices are the combinations, so it's hard to pick one. Cumin without coirander? I refuse!

Also barley, in its drinkable applications.

20. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I like chewing on sunflower seeds.

Also, no pumpkin seeds? This time of year I love throwing the seeds collected from my carved pumpkin innards into the oven.