Buffy TVS to be (ugh) Rebooted

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Nov 22, 2010.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to imagine all the bad word of mouth was a big factor in this (along with the crappy script, of course).

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, it didn't seem to be a thing that anybody wanted to see.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

4. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah what a pity. ;)

5. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Really, I think the people it (supposedly) sucks for are you guys.

A new Buffy movie!

Rebooted!

And possibly something that could become successful and thereby induce the studio to make another Buffy movie!

Times sure are tough for you Buffy fans.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except that they're fans of Joss Whedon's Buffy, not Fran Rubel Kuzui's Buffy. What this project would've been was a reboot of the original film, with none of the characters or elements created for the TV series. I don't think there are very many fans of that.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Buffy should have just stopped with The Gift back in 2001, everything since has been utter crap.

It worked for Trek and it'll work for Buffy, when the right people get on board and people stop getting pissy that it's going to be successful again.

8. doubleohfive

@Christopher, believe me, I understand the differentiation you are making. I too much prefer Joss' version over the original film. That being said, if its going to be made, and possibly introduce a new generation of people to the television series --whether by comparison or continuation, either way I just can't see the exposure as a bad thing.

I know passions run high around here with the shows and films we enjoy and love; Speaking for myself, I just don't have the energy to get as riled up as some others have over issues like this. Look at the new Battlestar Galactica. That series has been lauded for its excellence in writing and production and performance. How is any of that a bad thing for the franchise as a whole?

Beyond that angle, (and this is addressed to everyone in this thread) I believe its been established in this thread that Joss was offered to consult on the project and declined. It's one thing to be disappointed that he's not coming back to take the helm again. Its quite another to cry foul play because the person holding the legal rights to the property has chosen to exercise those rights and do something with the property.

9. doubleohfive

I disagree. Season six had some excellent stories, despite a largely misunderstood and admittedly mishandled overall arc.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

As much as I love *some* aspects of season 6, just not enough to apologise for a seriously bad season and the decline of the show in general, nevermind the clusterfuck that is Season 8 and now Season 9's "Buffy and Spike marry only to have dead Giles come back as Ripper zombie" nonsense.

Whedon had some good ideas, but not enough and went too far with the final seasons, it's some someone else had a go.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

True, that's a fair point. And if someone else did find a good way of doing something completely fresh and different with the concept, that could certainly be worthwhile. I guess I just felt it should be clear that it wouldn't be the same Buffy that the fanbase is fond of. For whatever that's worth.

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Buffy needs a new spinoff NOT a reboot to continue the universe though bringing back the original cast for a movie would probably do well on a modest budget.

Never understand why they haven't attempted this.

13. doubleohfive

It would definitely be interesting to me to see a sequel series featuring an all-new cast but within the same continuity, and perhaps a few of the original characters popping up (Xander as a Watcher, perhaps?), akin to how the relaunches of 90210, Melrose Place and Dallas have been handled (or if you want to go old-school, The New WKRP in Cincinatti.)

14. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Joss wanted to do a Faith spinoff (but ED was doing Tru Calling so she declined), a Ripper spinoff and a Spike movie, but apparently it never got off ground.

If they want to do a reboot, why do they have to call it "Buffy"? Just call it something like "Kelly the Vampire Slayer" or "Tiffany the Vampire Slayer" ;)

I disagree. Season 6 was great (it's my favorite season), and season 7 had a lot of good despite serious flaws and problems with its main villain/arc.

Besides, The Gift would've been a terribly wrong ending for the show. It's a great episode, great season finale, but would've been a terrible series finale.The series really shouldn't end with Buffy dying at the age of 20, like every Slayer before her. For a show about a female hero and female empowerment, it's an awful message. Chosen for all its flaws (and it's not even one of the best episodes of season 7, IMO) works better as a series finale.

I don't see anything wrong with season 6's overall arc. Now season 7, that arc sure has its problems.

LOL what?! :lol: Is that a fanfic? 'cause it sure ain't season 9.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Dark Horse released details of the upcoming Season 9 comics, thats essentially the story of the first arc of it.

16. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, thanks for the spoilers of comics that haven't even been released yet. :mad:

17. DevilEyes

Don't worry, these are just foilers. :)

No, it's not, which I know since I've actually read the first arc of season 9. :rommie:

If you meant some other upcoming arc, none of the solicitations I've read (and I've been following them) looked anything like that. You must be confusing it with crazy fan speculations. "Giles comes back as Ripper" was a popular fan theory before the season started, based on an image of a season 9 villain from #40 that some people thought looked like young Giles. We now know who it is, and no, it's not Giles/Ripper.

"Buffy and Spike marry" must be a fanfic. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Maybe Joan and Randy make a comeback!

19. Gothowitz

Gothowitz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think the idea is from the solicit text and cover for Buffy Season 9 #7

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dark-horse-march-2012-solicitations-111209.html

Considering the events unfolding in Angel and Faith and statements given at Comic-con, no it's not fan speculation.
    It most likely won't end well anyway.

20. DevilEyes

I know the solicitation and the cover, but so far I haven't seen anyone who's drawn the conclusion that this line is to be taken literally.
    Especially since they're far from even having a relationship or talking to each other about what they feel. Most people expect that line and the cover to refer to a fantasy or Buffy thinking about the possibilities for the future or something like that.

No, 'Giles comes back as Ripper' was a speculation and it isn't likely to happen, especially since
    Angel didn't even get to try to resurrect him. 'Regular!Giles somehow comes back as a part of Angel' is what they seem to be setting up, but it's not clear how they're going about it, it can be anything from Giles' "soul" just the effect of Angel having gotten that memory of his in #1.