USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. WRStone

WRStone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hm ... I think I finally figured out where Abrams' love affair with the lens flare originates.

Apparently Abrams was up late one night watching the SNL "Cowbell" sketch with Christopher Walken:

"Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription ... is more lens flare!"

Dakota Smith

2. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is one of my favorite Fan Trek designs. Not as high up there as your Enterprise-F design which is a bit more unique, but this is an excellent example of just how flavorful a good Trek design can be.

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm guessing that at some point you're going to give this pic some signs of life? Don't get me wrong, it's great as it is, but it seems a bit empty without some people on the hull and some shuttles/workbees flying around.

4. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, there will be shuttles, work bees and the like by the time I'm finished, but I'm not gonna kill myself adding really small-scale stuff that won't even be visible at print size.

5. StarTrekGT

StarTrekGT Cadet Newbie

I love this ship/design!!!!
    The USS Grandeur should be the focus of a new ST TV series set in a post-ST:Nemesis world.

6. Vektor

A small update to the book cover image. I've made about a thousand little adjustments to the lighting and shadows on various parts and pieces, color tweaks, lens flares, etc, etc. I certainly can't call it perfect, and this project has brought home to me just how much I still have to learn in the way of various techniques and approaches to realism, but I think continuing to rework it would be counterproductive at this point.

I'm going to finish adding some work bees and other signs of activity and then I'm going to call it done, hopefully within the next couple of days.

[​IMG]

7. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Those lens flares coming off those bracket lights look weird. It's like they aren't angled properly, even if they were tractor beams or something.

8. Vektor

Lens flares are a function of the camera lens, not the orientation of the light source in the image. Every lens flare and light streak in the station image is perfectly horizontal, so I have maintained consistency with that on the rest of the image.

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

One thing you might do would be to have multiple overlapping fans of energy--multiple tractor beams showing how the foating nacelle has been levelled out so well. Of course, once the beams are turned off, the alignment remains perfect...

10. DRACO

DRACO Captain Captain

I'm glad to see this project is still going.

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think we have a decade or more before its finished. Then as he approaches being done, he will scrap it and redesign the entire thing.

12. Vektor

Just FYI, I've been working on some enlarged paintings of some workbees from various angles and other construction-related vehicles and objects to further populate this scene. I'm drawing them separately because it's much easier to work on them at a larger size than they would be in the main image file. When they're done, I'll just cut-and-paste them and scale them down to the correct size.

I was hoping to post a preview of those elements some time today, but it looks like I have to go out of town on business until Friday, so probably nothing before the weekend. Just thought I'd let everyone know that this project is still very much active. ;)

13. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This build never stops amazing me.

14. Vektor

Some vehicles, containers, construction pallets, etc:

[​IMG]

Some of you may recognize Andrew Probert's Sphinx service vehicle, which I've always liked and thought would be most appropriate to this scene.

Now to shade and color these so they can be inserted into the master scene. They don't have to be highly detailed because they're going to get scaled down a lot, so hopefully I'll have more to show before the night is out.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice Sketch :) :techman:

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I like the addition of the Sphinx. Nice touch!

17. Vektor

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You should send out a portfolio to the aerospace companies. Would love to see your take on more NASA oriented projects. Bob McCall would be jealous.

19. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"He's just gonna sketch it? That's gonna look like cra--"

Whoa.

That's gonna look amazing.

20. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral