Django Unchained--Tarintino's new project

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, May 7, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Idris also just portrayed Heimdall in "Thor" and is attached to Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" and is playing Moreau in "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance ".

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

And no cries of racebending!

3. Admiral_Young

^ He was awesome. No cries from me!

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

But would Smith want to risk it? I think that's where the issue comes in.

5. Admiral_Young

^ Um cause he's been looking for that ever elusive Oscar and he's not exactly had a string of successful films lately. Why wouldn't Smith team up with QT? It's not like it's a huge risk. Look at John Travolta who had a reputation for doing family/kid friendly movies and then he did "Pulp Fiction" and his career had a second life.

6. Captaindemotion

^ Maybe you're right; I don't claim to have any great insight into Smith's thinking. But he did refuse to participate in a gay kiss for Six Degrees of Separation (though he's since said he regrets it) and he wanted The Matrix to be re-written to suit his usual screen persona. I can't think of anything on his repertoire in this vein and I think he's been very conservative in his movie choices, staying well away from indie directors and QT-type fare.

The Travolta comparison hardly bears scrutiny - Travolta was a total has-been at the time of PF and his most recent prior hits in the Look Who's Talking series were total surprises (for both him and voiceover star Bruce Willis, who also was in PF). Smith's career is nowhere near that level.

7. Admiral_Young

^ It's been getting close to that recently though one could argue. It's possible he'll pass on the roll and QT will have to find someone else. I guess you have to be of a certain mind set to work with him and Christophe Waltz certainly feels comfortable it would seem.

8. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Not remotely. His films have been nothing but hits (even if critical reception has sometimes been poor).

9. Admiral_Young

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's simply a fact that Will Smith hasn't had a flop since Ali in 2001 -- and that was ten years ago. He's the most bankable star in the world. His films may have received mixed reviews lately, but they've made money -- lots of it.

11. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He'll eventually be the new Tom Cruise.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm not so sure -- for one thing, he hasn't had the bad publicity of Tom Cruise. Not by a long shot.

13. Captaindemotion

^ I think he was the black Tom Cruise for a while - insofar as Cruise was the (almost) bombproof movie star of his day, with huge box-office appeal. Fortunately for Smith, he hasn't become involved in any wacky 'religions' to demolish his widespread appeal.

14. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Really? Now my memory of the movie is a bit fuzzy since I haven't seen it in awhile, but I do recall Smith simulating humping another guy naked in the movie. How could he be okay with that and refuse to do a gay kiss? :lol:

I always enjoy Tarantino's movies and I'm sure I would like this new one too, but I'm a bit disappointed that he's going the "alternate American history" route again like with "Inglourious Basterds" where he takes real history and fiddles with it so that it plays out in his fantasy way.

Again, I'm sure it will be entertaining, but I'd like to see him do a more "real" movie again like "Reservoir Dogs", "Pulp Fiction", or "Jackie Brown". I know those movies have some preposterous things happen in them that you're unlikely to ever see (or even hear about) in real life, but they still feel more "real" to me than his last few movies.

His early flicks feel like they all take place in our world with characters we could actually meet or read about. Stuff like Stuntman Mike's car and The Bride's fighting skills, on the other hand, felt like pure fantasies. Stylized movie creations. People and stories that take place in a heightened movie world of his imagination rather than the real world. That doesn't mean I didn't like them.

Actually, "Kill Bill, Vol. 2" is my favourite movie of his after "Pulp Fiction", but even though the new one will be in a supposedly different category from "Inglourious Basterds" (western instead of war movie), it sounds like a bit of retread to me. He's already done the skewed history angle...I'd like to see Tarantino try something a bit more grounded in reality.

15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

just remembered that I said when Rammstein released Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da, that "if ever Quentin Tarantino makes a Spaghetti Western, Roter Sand *has* be used as a song in it." So, now that QT *is* making a spaghetti western, Django Unchained, can we have a campaign to make sure the song goes in?

16. Captaindemotion

17. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He actually does have some links to Scientology, but I try not to get into bashing people's faith (Though I have issues with how Scientology treats some of its people) as I am a member of a faith group that gets bashed on a regular basis.

19. Captaindemotion

20. Admiral_Young

Which is interesting since an earlier report claimed he'd turned down a role.