Why was Kes written off the show?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Kooz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Didn't hate Kes...but had problems with VOY until 'Seven'. :shrug:

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Peter didn't view anyone as an equal.

He's an asshole.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is Neelix Peter Pan? And who is Flotter?

4. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Somehow I do get the impression that you really dislike Kes because you're always trying to find something negative about the character, even when there's nothing negative to be found.

When you mentioned Tinkerbell, I immediately thought of the Disney character who is always nice and friendly and looks the same today as she did when they started to make cartoons in the 1930:s or so.

Kes is no Judas. She was always loyal to the Voyager crew.

Kes is not Wendy either, the fact that she left Ocampa had nothing to do with aging or not.

And Kes is no insane monster either as those in charge tried to make it look in "Fury" with that pathetic creature which showed up there.

5. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I don't know anything about Jennifer's alleged drug abuse. And until someone shows me a picture of her with a needle in her arm, I'm not buying.

Having said that, IMO Kes and Harry were the least interesting regular characters, with Chakotay nipping at their heels for third place. I figure the producers weren't about to decimate the cast so they tossed three names into a hat, and Jennifer lost.

Voyager was in Borg space. So having Seven of Nine join the crew worked so much better. Her history as a Borg and her journey to recovery of her humanity was far more interesting than watching Kes handing hypos to the The Doctor, and setting Tuvok on fire (tho' I have to admit, that was pretty cool).

6. teacake

7's story is my favorite Trek tale so I agree with you. I was also bored by the super powered ingenue.

7. Guy Gardener

The only difference between Data and Seven of Nine's Journey/story is that Data lost his virginity in the 2nd episode.

8. teacake

7 is only part toaster.

I never gave a fig about Data and his journey. It was nice for Geordie to have a friend though, even if it was a robot friend.

9. Guy Gardener

Data was dreaming the impossible dream.

Seven was just trying to get over her inner asshole.

Plenty of people have come out the other side of Mr Borgs Wild Ride as still reasonably normal polite and agreeable persons.

Sevens problem was that no one Voyager suggested that she might naturally be a grumpy, sour faced know it all, which was perfectly human behaviour and it was they too who was trying to modify her personality into something uncomfortable and perverse.

If you lost a bet, could you impersonate Geordi's personality for a day?

10. teacake

She's surrounded by Starfleet cultists who want everyone to be well rounded. People who fail at that fail at life in their eyes. I went to a school ceremony a while ago and they were giving out awards for Best this and Best that.. but the kids that were best in math or best in science didn't get any awards because all the awards were based on well roundedness. If you didn't participate in school events and suck up to the sports teachers you got nada. Best Math and All Round Good Bloke Award. Never mind that the nerds in your class all got far better grades.

Anyway.

SEVEN: You made me into an individual. You encouraged me to stop thinking like a member of the Collective, to cultivate my independence and my humanity, but when I try to assert that independence I am punished.
    JANEWAY: Individuality has its limits, especially on a Starship where there's a command structure.
    SEVEN: I believe that you are punishing me because I do not think the way you do, because I am not becoming more like you. You claim to respect my individuality, but in fact you are frightened by it.
    JANEWAY: As you were.

Seven should have replied with "No as YOU were, apparently."

Sure, I can always stand to get more sleep.

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Smee.

And the Queen is Hook.

12. teacake

That Smee was such a creepy character.

The Queen as Hook YES!

13. Guy Gardener

Bob Hoskins played Smee at least twice.

WEIRD!

I see Annorax as Hook.

Of course his crocodile is his wife.

Hook didn't want to boff his crocodile, did he?

14. Melakon

He wanted to stroke his lizard.

15. Guy Gardener

Stroking anything with that hook is a terminal act.

16. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, but Kes was still good for show for it's few seasons.

17. Melakon

Well it could have been worse. If Harry had been axed, we might have gotten Bob the Hot Borg Boy.

18. teacake

I can see it. The androgynous look. As in, I no longer have my gender parts the Borg deemed them irrelevant. Though you'd never really know for sure.. he'd be like a very beautiful Vorta. Everyone thinking that they could be the one to awaken him.

19. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Keevan was a fairly beautiful Vorta. :luvlove:
    [​IMG]

20. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why? I mean Janeway-Female, B'Elanna-Female, Kes-Female Vs Chakotay-Male, Tuvok-Male, Paris-Male, Kim-Male, The Doctor-Male, Neelix-Male. 3 Females Vs 6 Males. Seems to me VOY could have used some more ovaries. ;) If Harry goes there is still plenty of sausage to go around. :p