Film - the comic book genre

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheMasterOfOrion, Oct 14, 2008.

?

greatest comic book inspired film

Poll closed Oct 26, 2008.
  1. Over the Hedge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A History of Violence

7.7%
  3. The Crow

7.7%
  4. Ironman

23.1%
  5. Sin City

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Flash Gordon 1980

7.7%
  7. V for Vendetta

7.7%
  8. Barbarella

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Superman II

7.7%
  10. Ghost In the Shell

7.7%
  11. Xmen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. American Splendor

23.1%
  13. Persepolis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Lady Snowblood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Batman Returns

7.7%
  16. The Mask

7.7%
  17. Batman Begins

23.1%
  18. Oldboy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Spiderman II

15.4%
  20. Hellboy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Akira

7.7%
  22. Blade II

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. Ghostworld

7.7%
  24. 300

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. Men In Black

15.4%
  26. Constantine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. Wanted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. Road to Perdition

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  29. The Addams Family

15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

so what is the best one made? Is the genre all flash and spandex and hollow? Are there greats out there and in your opinion and if so what is a cut above the rest? I didn't include the Hulks (2003+2008), Singer's Superman etc in this poll because I didn't want the genre getting flooded with superhero movies and frankly I found these movies to be a bit crap. Anything that got trashed by critics and had an imdb rating near 4.8 like the Judge Dredd movie was disqualified from my poll

2. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

You missed a lot of other choices though. Like Superman: The Movie, The Dark Knight, Spider-Man, Daredevil, and a bunch more. Omitting such films from a poll like this just because they do not suit YOUR tastes makes your poll out to be a "bit of crap".

FAIL.

3. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman - The Move (1978). Best. Comic-book. Movie. Ever.

4. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

X2 is not on the list for some reason. EPIC FAIL.

5. msbae

msbae Commodore

Superman II, for that scene near the end where Superman is bringing a new flag to the White House. That image along with John Williams' classic theme makes for one of the greatest moments in cinematic history.

Too bad Richard Donner cut that out in his vastly inferior cut of the film. No wonder the producers fired him...:shifty:

6. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

The Donner cut of Superman II is the only feature-length live action Superman film I've ever liked (I also liked the serials and the animated feature). :cool:

I'll have to think about which film I like best. There's not an obvious greatest, but there have been several excellent films of comic book origin.

(Is Over The Hedge a comic book film or comic strip film?)

7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Really need a proper poll for this with all comic books movies and sequels onit.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Not a proper poll at all, but I voted for A History of Violence and American Splendor. Road to Perdition would have been a third choice, but I already cheated by voting for two.

9. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't seen American Splendor or Persepolis. History of Violence and Road to Perdition were seen without knowledge that they were inspired by graphic novels (aka comic books.) The result was befuddlement as to why they were so highly praised.

And the rest were entertaining enough. The one that achieved its aims best I think was Addams Family.

10. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

^ Like Over the Hedge, the Addams Family films were based on comics, but not comic books.

The Addams Family Values would probably get my vote were it on the list, though, categorical or not.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Ignoring the gorgeous cinematography by Conrad L. Hall, the tempered and beautiful score by Thomas Newman, the wonderfully crafted sound work by Scott Hecker (and the rest of the sound department), and a good acting performance from the late Paul Newman (of which he was nominated for an Academy Award)...yeah, I suppose you could wonder why Road to Perdition was highly praised.

A History of Violence is more uneven, for sure, but even with the trappings of a mainstream film, it manages to keep enough of the Cronenberg aesthetic that it's easy enough to understand the praise.

But if you'd like to imagine they were praised because they were sourced from comic books/graphic novels (I neither care enough for the genre nor know enough about it to distinguish the two)...well, go for it.