Roger Ebert is dead...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Apr 4, 2013.

1. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I loved reading his reviews. I loved reading his liberal thoughts on his blog. Shame. :(

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Rest in peace. Roll credits.
    [​IMG]

3. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Great photo. thanks for including that in this thread.

You will be missed, Mr. Ebert! I always enjoyed Ebert's reviews, and I especially enjoyed the years of seeing him along-side his balcony seat-make Gene Siskel. Tended to agree more often with Roger than Gene, but I always found their arguments to be well thought out and interesting. And even though I didn't always agree with Roger Ebert either, it was clear that the guy knew what he was talking about.

If there is an afterlife, I hope the two of them have the chance to talk over the last few years in film over a large tub of hot-buttered popcorn very soon.

4. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Easily my favorite movie critic. Whether I agreed with him or not, I was always eager to hear/read his opinions.

I think tonight I might watch my DVD copy of Dark City with the Roger Ebert commentary turned on.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

First Christopher Hitchens... now the great Roger Ebert leaves us, and my two favorite commentators are no more. Farewell, amigo! May your reviews continue to provoke and delight faithful readers and viewers as you cover the latest releases and host screenings of classics old and new in Valhalla's finest movie palace. For you, hombre, my thumb will always be Up. :(

6. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not unexpected news, but sad nonetheless. How could you not love a critic who would honestly say "Your movie sucks"? :lol: He didn't mince words or kiss Hollywood's ass. If he didn't like something, he said so! He will be missed. There will never be another like him.

:(

7. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was an icon of his industry. I did not have the same taste in films for a large part but his influence was undeniable.

8. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Sad news. :(

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Definitely the last of the great reviewers. I can't think of anyone who comes close.

And a local boy as well. He started at the Sun Times 46 years ago and was still writing for them right up to the end.

R.I.P.

10. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For years he was probably the most accurate movie reviewer of them all. If that doesn't sound like high praise, think again.

11. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very Sad, for sure.....

Rest in Peace....:(

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks Roger.. A good critic, a good writer, a good human being.

Listen to how passionate he is - it's infectious
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glSkzgw9Ly4[/yt]

13. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

He fought his cancer well. R.I.P.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think the format of the thread title is a bit tasteless.

Anyway, this is sad news to hear but, at the same time, I guess not too surprising given his age and health issues. I didn't always agree with the man and found many a problem with the way some of his reviews were written (many times getting off-point and not criticizing the movie's story or how it was made but, rather, meaningless side issues.) But his reviews were still a good, solid, read because on some level I respected the man's opinion even if I disagreed with it.

RIP, Mr. Ebert.

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

How so? Reading the thread now, I can find nothing --nothing-- objectionable about the format of this thread.

Anyway, this is sad news to hear but, at the same time, I guess not too surprising given his age and health issues. I didn't always agree with the man and found many a problem with the way some of his reviews were written (many times getting off-point and not criticizing the movie's story or how it was made but, rather, meaningless side issues.) /QUOTE]

You don't 'get' what movie reviews are about, really, do you? Those "meaningless side issues" were exactly the kinds of things that you're supposed to find in movie reviews. It sounds more like you read his reviews hoping for summaries of the films. There's a marked difference between the two. And while yes, a good film review should offer some commentary on the technical stuff, the writing, etc. including the ideas and thoughts that a film might posit or elicit in its viewers is completely, totally ok and actually, I find, quite preferable.

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Another legend that helped shape my formative years and reactions to pop culture has left us.

R.I.P. Roger. The two greatest film critics of the era are now gone. Thanks for everything, guys.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Fuck.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Ebert, but I have read his reviews for years, and he was the best film critic in the business. In the age of the Internet, where others became obsolete, Ebert only got better. He will be missed.

18. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shit, shit, shit. There are very few people in the media whom I can actually say changed the way I think and formed the way I am today. But Ebert did. When I started watching "Sneak Previews" on PBS as a 10 year old kid, I had no idea that people could talk about movies as something that had history and meaning and impact; I thought watching a movie was something to do for an hour or two of fun. It opened up a world I never suspected, but knew I wanted to find out everything about. As I got more into movies in high school and college, I would still try to see foreign and lesser-known films I remembered Ebert liking from those reviews years earlier.

As far as I am concerned he was the best at what he did, and the way he approached his life in the last ten years I respect immensely. It's hard to imagine I won't be able to see what he thinks about new films or new developments in the medium. Thanks for everything Mr. Ebert.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Just the title. "Roget Ebert is dead..." strikes me as a bit of a cold way to address things as opposed to "Roger Ebert has passed away." or "RIP Roget Eber."

Look, in my opinion there were times when Ebert's review would get less about how good a movie was, how good the story it was or what issues it had and would go off in an odd tangent. He spent a good chunk of the "Insurrection" review talking about how he thinks electricity should work in a fictional future on a future space ship. He didn't like the movie, fine, I can understand that. A lot of people didn't. But he could've made his opinion based on something other the technical works of a starship's power system.

That's just one that sticks out in my mind the most, but there were other reviews where he'd find some little, nitpicky, thing about the movie or some detail and use that for a basis to discuss the problems the movie had, that it didn't measure up to how expected things like that to work. This isn't about lighting, direction or acting choices, but little nitpicky things.

All the same he was a great reviewer and enjoyed reading his reviews whether I agreed with him or not and it's sad he has passed away.

20. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd be more annoyed if someone didn't have enough respect to spell his name correctly in the title than I would simply using the correct observation that Roger Ebert has died.

This whole section is just a bunch of twatfuckery. Roger was a movie critic. It was his job to critique movies, and he did it with dedication, and a real passion. You don't have to agree with him all of the time. Hell, I adored the man and I didn't agree with some of his reviews. Is there anything more inane you can comment upon today, Trekker?