Borg designations = ranks?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Melakon, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero One, is of course the most well known Borg designation. But what do these designations actually signify?

Is the Unimatrix number indicating a region of space, or her group of 9 drones? Memory Alpha says the term is used interchangeably. Due to all the qualifiers (Tertiary Adjunct), there must be millions or billions of drones designated as Seven of Nine throughout the entire Collective.

Was she the equivalent of 3rd Officer for her group of 9? Or for Unimatrix Zero One, whatever it was?

It seems like the meaning of designation was purposely left vague, maybe just to drive us crazy thinking about it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I see Borg designations more like positions in a collectible set.

Like, how a set of action figures may say "Janeway: 1 of 10, Chakotay: 2 of 10", etc.

A borg unit is like a squad, a group designed to carry out a specific purpose. There are nine Borg required to perform that function, and Seven's role in that happens to be delegated the seventh role.

3. Melakon

I started thinking about this a few weeks ago, because of "Survival Instinct", which I've not seen in years, and maybe only once. She has the highest number (7), and bosses the others around until they start regaining their individuality. It suggests there were an 8 and 9 in the group originally, with perhaps higher authority than she.

4. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Yes I would buy the higher authority idea because in the Raven flash back portions of Unimatrix Zero we do learn that the designation Unimatrix one indicated drones working with the Queen

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

After Dark Frontier, Seven had a new job, which means that she had a new designation.

"Princess"

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

You are right, infact I kind of believe that was her designation all along.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think if there's any meaning to the designations, it's just the order in which the drones are introduced to the group. The Borg don't have any apparent use for ranks. All drones are equal, but openings within a subgroup can be filled at any time.

Meaning, "Seven of Nine" would not have been less important than One through Six, or more important than Eight and Nine. That just happened to be the order in which those positions became filled.

8. Melakon

Checking character bios, I see my authority theory is incorrect. Two of the other three lower number survivors were Primary and Secondary Adjuncts, so should have been able to countermand Seven's instructions.

I guess it was just her bossy nature coming out.

Looks like you're right, Mr. Laser Beam.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  9. Guy Gardener

When Seven gave her team of engineers Borg designations in the Omega Directive, Harry slacked off and buggered about.

She demoted him.

Which was conveyed by a "higher" designation number.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ She was probably just bullshitting him.

I mean, in a collective, all drones are supposedly equal. Logically speaking, then, questions of rank or importance could never apply...

11. Melakon

Guy, it's logic like that which explains why you and Mr. Laser Beam are Admirals.

We really need a :salute: smiley for cases like this.

12. Guy Gardener

It's not about rank.

It's about how important the work that is given to each drone that can be trusted to do well because there's a spectrum of how good each engineer is and who can be trusted to do good work more or less than the others.

Considering Harry's Hissy fit he certainly thought it was real slap in the face.

:)

Okay, demotions go down. And she assimilated the tactic from Janeway... Who had Janeway demoted in Season 4?

13. Melakon

Maybe Seven was foreseeing Tom's demotion in Season 5.

14. Guy Gardener

A lot of her crew would have been demoted to make way for the Maquis.

Poor Joe.

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Well at least that explains a little why Seven was such a martinet in Survival Instinct. I always wondered why the others didn't say: who the frak put you in charge?