Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shaw, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Could I submit a question for the board here? Where is all the "consumables" storarge on a starship? Where are the fresh water tanks, the raw materials storage for the food and industrial fabricators? What about Oxygen? And maneuvering thruster fuel? Hell, what about the deuterium and anti-deuterium storage? Has anyone ever done calcs for how much of these things a ship like the Enterprise would have to have on hand for a 5-year mission? You can stretch supplies SOME with recycling, I'm sure, but not THAT much.

Thoughts, anyone?

2. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

In the 1930s the idea of a submarine that could basically go without refueling for years and could operate underwater for up to a year at a time without surfacing for fresh air was science fiction... they just didn't have any idea of what you could possibly do to clean the air or what you could run a submarine on besides diesel fuel.

We know now that the technology for all that stuff was about 30 years away, but for people of that period, it was unthinkable.

Sure, you don't see how any of this stuff could be done today, but we are talking about a Starship hundreds of years in the future. If people of the 1930s were unable to see the advances that were just 30 or 40 years into the future, why do you think that we would have any clue as to what a future starship would need?

Now, I'm not populating every part of the ship in my plans because we didn't actually get to see every part of the ship in the series. Nor am I planning on inventing technology based on what we know today because when looking at the works of people in the 1970s who tried that, it was obvious that they missed the mark.

So for me, much of the Enterprise's interior beyond what we saw on screen is a black box environment.

Given that, any calculations would be based on a 21st century understanding of technology. But ask yourself this question... How do you think people of the 1930s would have laid out the interior spaces of a submarine of the early 21st century so that it could stay submerged for up to a year at a time without taking on air or fuel? Do you think that they would have even been close to how subs of today are actually arranged?

Your questions above would most likely be answered in a similar way to our answering someone of the 1930s about nuclear power and air scrubbers. It is just beyond what we have in are realm of experience.

3. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I see your point if not entirely agree with it. At least you're setting aside space for such things, unlike a lot of fan plans I've seen. I get tired of seeing the phaser banks put in a tiny little room marked "phasers", with no mention of the power capacitors that store their energy, or the coolant tanks that keep them cool, etc etc.

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Note to self: Set aside room for a pantry....

5. felixofgolden

felixofgolden Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

>Now, I noticed in the TOS-R version of "Court Martial" that they showed a missing element that they assumed was the ion pod. It was one of the protruding lamps on the side of the secondary hull, adjacent to the hangar deck. The only thing that bothers me about that was that there are TWO of those "bumps" (one on each side... shown when they "flipped" the ship shots on a few occasions... even if it wasn't on the physical model!). Apart from the "duplication" minor snafu, though, it does work pretty well... if you assume that this is what I've recently started thinking of this as.

Did Court Martial specifically state that there was only 1 ion pod? Or was it just referred to as "the ion pod", making us figure that there was only one? Could be like a lot of things, being more than one, but when you talk about it, seems like there's just one. The transporter room for instance.. "meet me in the transporter room", yet there's most likely more than 1 in the ship itself.

6. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

The problem with that being the ion pod is that it is blinking on the original model all the time. In fact, when I did my model of the Constellation last year, that was one of the important elements to adding life to the ship in my animations...

[​IMG]

7. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I really don't like the 'blinkers' on either side as the ion pod at all. As everyone has said, they blink just like the running lights. I think the most logical place for the pod(s) is in the (1) sensor dish, extendible via some type of tube, (2) the area where the tractor beam is supposed to be, or (3) trailing from the open doors of the shuttlebay via some type of tether. I don't think that the ion pod necessarily has to be in the secondary hull as Finney could have made his way to engineering (wherever THAT is) via any means since clearly he anticipated Kirk ejecting the pod and had it all planned out.

:rommie:

8. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Has anyone considered the possibility of the ion pod being embedded on the surface of either the "interconnecting dorsal"/"neck" between the saucer and the engineering hull, or one of the nacelle pylons?

Another possibility would be to open the outer doors of an aft photon torpedo tube and have the pod extend out from the edge of the tube, even if only a little ways. It would be like an unlaunched probe, that could be retracted and the "pilot" allowed to disembark from the pod once the survey was over.

9. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That seems unlikely (the torpedo pod example) because there is no evidence that torpedo tubes are designed to allow ingress as well as egress. It would make more sense to have the pod be located in a dedicated facility... especially considering how small it would appear to be (ie, a one-man device).

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea that it's under the fantail in the little red rectangle... right alongside the workbees. :thumbsup:

10. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

There are other possibilities (dare I blaspheme?) that probably nobody ever considered, but just popped into my mind:

1: that tubular projection in behind the bridge. Instead of it being a turboshaft (some have debated that in the past, if I'm not mistaken), maybe it could be a special one-man observation pod deposition tube, to be open in-flight only when a pod to be loaded there and exposed to the elements that the ship plans to fly through.

2: the rear-fantail assembly above the shuttlecraft hangar. Remember the observation deck set in "Conscience of the King"? Maybe just beyond sight there was a small Jefferies tube-like assembly leading to a pod there.

3: The aft area of Deck 2 or 3. Maybe there's a loadable pod tube located on the aft-end of one of the decks just below the Bridge.

4: My favorite idea by far is still a hidden assembly located somewhere in the periphery of the "neck" above the secondary hull.

11. Captain Robert April

Hold that thought, I'll try and find the appropriate pic...

:devil:

(a few moments later)

Here we go...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  12. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

This is some more extensive examples of fitting the actual set plans into the Enterprise using Jefferies approximate deck heights. The one major change in the layout of the decks is in the dorsal, where I went with the window spacing as a reference.

This isn't anywhere close to the final layout, just sizing comparisons of the sets to the ship.

I hadn't notice this before, but how are you scaling your internal elements? If the size of your bridge is a reference, then it looks like your ship would be about 1184 feet long. Is that right? That seems quite a bit larger than even the 1080 that some people are using.

13. felixofgolden

Just so you know, the plan of the phaser control room is wrong when compared to the episode. The entrance is on the other side etc.

14. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Actually... the only difference between these plans and the set as shot was the orientation of the console in the center of the room. Otherwise they followed the set construction plans when redressing main engineering for that episode.

I have already broken up each of the sets and have their individual plans set aside in a folder with screen captures of how the sets actually looked for when I take the time to draw them out myself.

But until that time, I don't have a problem with using Jefferies' drawings as is.

15. Captain Robert April

I've just been eyeballing it to this point.

I figured things were off by a bit, but not that much.

Also keep in mind that the pic is kind of midway in the process. It was just the clearest one I had showing the Ion pod bay.

16. felixofgolden

Are you sure about that? The door Spock comes through is on the opposite side than in the set plan. Where it says "console" beside the word "forward" above the word "see" is where the door ended up being put for shooting.
    He walks in, the engineering grill is on his right. The camera would be around where the word "dwg" is. The sitdown console is rotated 90 degrees, you're right about that.
    If you follow the set plan, the grill would be on his left if he walked in the door that's shown - it's not accurate. I figure that when they got to shooting, it blocked better the way it ended up in the episode.
    Double check the episode is my advice.

17. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I wasn't expecting you to run out and fix it or anything like that, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't reading the plans wrong. I know you aren't able to invest any time in these right now.

Well, as I had stated at the beginning of this thread...
    So don't expect me to spend any time on putting forward quality stuff. I've been trying to make clear that this is all little more than sketches at this point. Nit picking at elements which aren't being addressed (nor are going to be addressed for months) isn't exactly helpful.

But two to three months from now I'll keep your suggestion in mind... or better yet, you could draw out corrected floor plans for the rest of us. :thumbsup:

18. felixofgolden

Okay dokie. Just trying to help.

19. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really nice work, David. The only thing that would be better would be if you were doing this in true 3D. But the fact that you're taking the "real set" layouts (as closely as you can get) and fitting them, in scale, into the deckplans is something I, personally, really like.

20. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking at your plans (which are great by the way) it just accured to me, since the engine part of engineering was a forced perspective set, it's propabobly supposed to be longer than the actual set as seen in plan view, at least this was apparently the intention of MJ, so has anyone got any idea how long it would work out to be in order to create the visual perspective we actually see, if it were realy as deep as it looks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.