FJ's significance then and now...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

First, of all, I want to add that if anybody had been "ripped off" it had been Walter Matt Jefferies. The essential appeal and success of Franz Joseph's works is owed to the designs of Matt Jefferies.

Franz Joseph, Ballantine Books and Paramount Pictures had their shares of the profit, Matt Jefferies didn't.

Same with the "inspiration" you just brought up. The essential starship design was created by Matt Jefferies and all subsequent designs, especially those of Franz Joseph, were inspired by Matt Jefferies and derived from his vision.

Bob

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes, this is essentially true, but.unfortunately Matt Jefferies (due to circumstance) wasn't the one who fleshed out his designs in an organized format (though I wish he had) for the market.

Despite the inconsistencies with what we could see onscreen FJ's "fleshing out" of the Trek universe in general and Jefferies' designs in particular, and the polished way they were presented, was inspirational. People got the idea that someone took their interests seriously enough to put some real thought and effort into it.

For the individual fan (speaking for myself) it was a clear signal I wasn't alone in being interested in this kind of materiel and that a lot of others were as well.

3. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Those were the days. I remember searching everywhere for new novels, blueprints those Mego figures and anything else I could find. Even as a young lad I was thrilled so much attention was being given to a series that was only in re-runs and a new animated series.

4. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

FJ! LOL