Brannon Braga: Not a Diane Carey Fan?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by SpaceCadetJuan, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^True, there were arguments over what should count, but then it was understood to be a matter of fan opinion and belief. What Roddenberry and Arnold created was the mentality that what counts and what doesn't is defined by the studio and that their judgments are imposed by the fans -- that the fans are supposed to be submissive to what the studio tells them to believe rather than making their own choices about what to believe. You still see fans today who labor under the delusion that there's some CBS or Paramount employee whose sole function is to declare what bits of Trek they're allowed to like -- who believe that they have to subjugate themselves to someone else's authority. They treat fandom like it's a job where they have to follow orders rather than a form of recreation where they can use their own imaginations. And that's because they falsely believe that the Arnoldian approach to canon, which was only in effect for like 3 years and ended 22 years ago, is still binding to this day.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Arnoldian" sounds like a particularly dictatorial race of Trek aliens:)

FreddyE likes this.
  3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Wait, you're telling me that submissions don't have to be stamped in triplicate by the Executive Committee on Canon? After I filed all that paperwork to have my books declared Semi-Canon, Status B? What about my Canon Application fees? Can I get a refund from the Department of Expanded Continuity, New York Branch?

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I thought it was about wiping the slate clean. It was only afterward that folks began to wonder and worry about which ones counted. So a never ending cycle of continuity fixes began.

You fool! Never ask for Status B!!!!

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I was pushing my luck there . . . .

6. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

^ That's OK. The Department of Expanded Continuity's versions of Dulmer and Lucsly will be around to chat with you about your upgrade to Status A. After the requisite fees and honorariums are met, of course.

7. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Your payments were non-canon, therefore do not count and obviously then cannot be refunded.

Sorry.

Jinn likes this.
  8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Paula left several years ago, but has written, with husband Terry Erdmann, the "Star Trek 101", "TOS 365" and "TNG 365" books since then. John Van Citters is the main ST person at CBS Consumer Products these days.

9. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Dug out my copy of Broken Bow.

In that case, I think Carey is misreading the script. I interpreted that line as meaning "Of course I have" but she seems to be rationalizing Archer saying he hasn't.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  10. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Those are hilarious :lol:

Nyotarules and Phoenix219 like this.
  11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

:lol: That's fantastic.

13. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The ones with T'Pol are good, because they actually add some insight, but the rest are totally something I'd sack the writer for if I were the one paying him/her to do a novelization.

14. iarann

iarann Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

To add to Steve Mollmann's extensive list, here is the one I remember, Kindle version so I'm not sure of the page number:

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Wow. :lol: What did she say about the Butterfly dancers with the tongues (as that was the example the that Braga brought up)?

I dug out my novelizations for Trials and Tribble-ations, The Way of the Warrior, the Dominion War arc and Flashback. I'll thumb through them and try and see if I can find similar examples in these other novelizations.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  16. iarann

iarann Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

Here it is, pay particular close attention to the last paragraph:

17. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that one is great. I also like what she caps the scene with a couple pages later:
    A few more, while I have the book out:
    Carey usually seems to bring out Archer's inner jerk with her monologue.

There are some good touches: small errors make the rush launch of the NX-01 a little rougher than it needs to be, which makes Archer and Trip paranoid about internal sabotage, shaping their attitude toward T'Pol. And later, they theorize that Forrest and Soval collaborated in placing T'Pol on the NX-01 as an experiment in seeing how a Vulcan would work with humans over a protracted period of time.

iarann likes this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I can't believe those were actually in the published book. I could see some of them being snuck through in a more subtle form, but there is no subtlety there at all.

Corran Horn likes this.
  19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I had forgotten all of that. I remember reading it and was shocked at the snarkiness of it. It kind of annoyed me as Broken Bow is my favorite of the modern Trek pilots. At least it wasn't as annoying as Red Sector though...that book was complete trash.

20. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gotta say, that breadstick one was pretty awesome. Everything else was asinine, but got to give her credit for that one. I thought something along the same lines when I saw that scene.