Jefferies Tube construction as seen on TOS

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by slipcover, May 19, 2013.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I have to admit, when I watched Star Trek as a kid after I saw the an episode of Scotty shimmying up the tube. I always watched hoping that it would happen again. As a child, I always imagined he was going up into the warp nacelle. It was the same when I watched Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I watched in anticipation that they would use the flying sub.

2. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

^^ You are not alone, others interpreted what happened onscreen just like you did: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=119751&page=49

I assume our interpretation changed over the years because we also saw the Jefferies Tube in use in "The Naked Time" and "Court-Martial" which rather suggested this Jefferies Tube location to be somewhere near the Engineering Control Room in the saucer.
    And Scotty's transporter repair in "The Doomsday Machine" via a Jefferies Tube didn't seem to indicate this to be one in the nacelle's pylons which made the scene in "The Ultimate Computer" the most likely "original intention" (?) candidate.

Possibly, after the steps leading up, there might be some kind of one person elevator / trolley platform that would lift a properly suited engineer up to the nacelles (with a few stops on the way, judging by the pylons' windows).

The concept that there is a turbo lift doing the job is entirely conjectural and may originate from the belief that the red vertical lines in the Bridge schematic of the ship refer to turbo lifts.

But these vertical lines could just be the main power / conduit lines, running parallel to these two Jefferies Tubes.

Looks like I will have to add two Jefferies Tubes in my Enterprise deck plans where the pylons meet the hull. ;)

Bob

3. slipcover

slipcover Ensign Newbie

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful analysis and input! I could not have asked for more! I appreciate you guys each and every time I visit this site.

Sincerely,
    Bill

4. slipcover

slipcover Ensign Newbie

Okay. I would love to have opinions. I made this step in Google Sketchup (now Trimble Sketchup). While it looks right, I wanted to see if anyone had any corrections. The only thing you can not see is the actual step on the back side is 6 inches high (including 1 inch base, as seen in "Charlie X").

https://picasaweb.google.com/110382701258139150765/May282013?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Please let me know if you can't see these photos!

Thank you,
    Bill

5. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Looks good to me.

@GSchnitzer - did not know that about the reused signage.